inverted hovers

bartman

As I worked on the bicyle manouver today I started thinking back to the inverted hover and how it used to drive me crazy. For months I couldn't get it at all then when it finally did happen it was a whopping two seconds. Each time it got a bit better and now I spend most of the time inverted without giving it much thought. The wobble is even disappearing!

It got me thinking about the whole current practice which has been mostly about the bicycle. I couldn't get it then I could get it once or twice and it was all messy and half the time I'd be pulling it out of sync so it would spin into the ground and so on.

Today I seemed to have the sync better as it would climb while turning, but still not really clean looking. It got better when I remembered someones advice to focus on the centre logo when spinning and I'll need to find who told me that since it helped a lot to get the rotation better.

So I can't help but wonder if the bicycle will go the way of the inverted hover. One day I'm just going to realize that I'm doing it without really knowing when the "Eureka" actually happened?

These days I have no fear of getting bored. I have half a dozen things I practice any give time I'm out there. I move around more on the field. Most times my hands are not at my head level so I have more room for arm movement. I am making the kite work more for me without treating it like an egg and the kite is responding! I'm evening learning to love my std sail in those lighter winds!

Bart

You are right Bart. We humans really are great learning machines, so great that mostly we don't even realise we are doing it. Do you ever remember saying to yourself "man, there's no way I'll ever be able to do that" - yet now inverted is your preferred resting position, your way to get out of trouble even!

... your way to get out of trouble even!

Never even considered that, but totally true. While working on some of this other stuff and coming out of it badly I don't know how many times I've ended up stopping just in time with the kite inverted and hanging there waiting for my next move!

Bart

I suppose all of this is rather comforting to read, seeing how I'm currently struggling with inverted hovers. I did read Bart's posts from last year and how he almost gave up flying altogether while he was learning this... and look at him now! So, there may be hope yet. If only my brain didn't think I have two left hands... :blink:

Oh yes. I was ready to sell them on eBay a year ago just from general frustration. Not so much the hovers that were doing me in, but general lack of knowledge and getting real tired of having no one here to share the field with.

The knowledge part improved by becoming more active on this forum and asking a ton of questions and the solo flying improved when I met someone else locally who was interested in trying it. Ultimately he went with a foil, but we still go out often to fly and with my new found knowledge going out by myself now is not so boring and no so frustrating. In fact, a lot of times I prefer to be out in the morning or evening now with no one else around so I can focus my efforts and just enjoy the quiet or whatever happens to be on the iPod.

I'd also add that people here helped with being an extended group of friends too. These guys helped me to get through the rough times when nothing seemed to be going well and through the endless winters here when nothing was going to fly. If you let people here help you won't be let down and selling a kite to get out of it is no longer an option!

As for your inverted hover. If you read what I went through you know they are possible even when you want to pull out your hair. I know I didn't believe anyone when they told me it will happen. I figured it was a secret club or handshake you needed to make it work. Everyone told the truth and sure enough, along it came.

I can't offer much more than what I already wrote about the trials getting it to work. The biggest issue was being light on the controls. Very light. Takes next to nothing on the brake side one the balance is there. I also know now that longer top leaders and more brake is better. With more brake being light on the controls also is more important as I find the reverse will easily flip a wing if you give it too much brake when you move your thumbs forward. Last is starting the hover. I found it easier to launch upright then turn it over and immediately apply brake to slow the kite into the hover. I found launching in reverse to a hover pretty hard to do (impossible), but by "sneaking up" on it I had better control.

Once you get that first 1 second hover (and that is probably all it will be before it will get messy) it gets easier to make it into 5 seconds, then 30 then 60 seconds then as long as you want from there. Then you can work on hovering at all the goofy angles that you will ulimately need to do! FWIW, I just nicely achieved a half decent hover pointing downwards at various angles. So, my hovers are still a work in progress, but coming along nicely!

The biggest piece of advice is to come back here with your success for sure, but also when you want to scream because it isn't working! Come back for a refill of inspiration and pats on the back 'cause it makes all the difference in the world when you are bogged down on the learning curve.

Bart

<snip>

Once you get that first 1 second hover (and that is probably all it will be before it will get messy) it gets easier to make it into 5 seconds, then 30 then 60 seconds then as long as you want from there.

<snip>

Bart

Bart,

Your postings continue to be 'inspirational' as with John's recent video.

I sometimes set the challenge to hold the kite 'stationary' for 'a long time'. All the adjustments required feed back into 'muscle memory' which cannot be remembered in a practical sense. You just 'do it'. There is no special hand-shake, just an infinite number of them. <grins>

Felix

I suppose all of this is rather comforting to read, seeing how I'm currently struggling with inverted hovers. I did read Bart's posts from last year and how he almost gave up flying altogether while he was learning this... and look at him now! So, there may be hope yet. If only my brain didn't think I have two left hands... :blink:

Hi, when you get to Brighton come over and we can spend some time flying and before you know it we'll have all your worries behind you.

hope to see you soon

Edited by Simon

Your postings continue to be 'inspirational' as with John's recent video.

I sometimes set the challenge to hold the kite 'stationary' for 'a long time'. All the adjustments required feed back into 'muscle memory' which cannot be remembered in a practical sense. You just 'do it'. There is no special hand-shake, just an infinite number of them. <grins>

Felix

Thank you. That means a lot to hear. You also bring up a good point. Hold the pose! I do that a lot until it feels like I will lose it then fly out before that second it gets messy.

Hi, when you get to Brighton come over and we can spend some time flying and before you know it we'll have all your worries behind you.

hope to see you soon

Ah, another key thing. If you have someone willing to help go for it! Terry and Mario spent a short amount of time with me at our festival, but that was all it took to open up new doors and ways of thinking. Made a big difference and will shorten the learning a lot.

Bart

hope to see you soon

*blush* Thanks. I still can't believe how helpful everyone is. I do hope I'll make it to Brighton!