Anyone in Torbay UK?

Torbay Flyer

Hi, I'm new to this site.  Already have two Rev kites which I fly on Dartmoor and local Torbay and Dawlish beaches.  I'm looking to meet up with others in this area and especially anyone with the skills I'm trying to master to give me a few tips.   I've got some of the basic flying skills sorted with my Reflex XX and RX so not a complete beginner.  Cheers.

5 hours ago, Torbay Flyer said:

Hi, I'm new to this site.  Already have two Rev kites which I fly on Dartmoor and local Torbay and Dawlish beaches.  I'm looking to meet up with others in this area and especially anyone with the skills I'm trying to master to give me a few tips.   I've got some of the basic flying skills sorted with my Reflex XX and RX so not a complete beginner.  Cheers.

Hi, and welcome to the forum. There are many quad-line fliers in the UK, and someone may chime in, but the Rev Forum is not as active as it used to be. Join us at KiteLife which is a forum that is devoted to all kites, quad and other, and where you are more likely to meet up with others. There is also a quad-line kite group on Facebook that may interest you.

Hi, thanks for that.  Yeah I've noticed it's a bit quiet these days.  KiteLife seems a good option.  Problem here at the mo is we're either getting your left over storms tracking in from the West or, like today, hardly a breeze.  Season I guess.  Have you had any experience flying the RX Spider and is it worth adding to my XX and RX to cover most useable wind speeds?  Still having problems flying anything in low wind conditions.

7 hours ago, Torbay Flyer said:

Hi, thanks for that.  Yeah I've noticed it's a bit quiet these days.  KiteLife seems a good option.  Problem here at the mo is we're either getting your left over storms tracking in from the West or, like today, hardly a breeze.  Season I guess.  Have you had any experience flying the RX Spider and is it worth adding to my XX and RX to cover most useable wind speeds?  Still having problems flying anything in low wind conditions.

I haven't flown the RX Spider but as an addition to what you already have it will only cover wind speeds that are very uncomfortable to fly in. But if you must fly in extremely high wind then it's a must-have. If you have the option to not fly in those conditions you'll only miss a few days per year. 

Flying at the low-end of the wind speed range is a different story. This comes only with experience. An ultralight or super ultralight kite designed for low-wind or no-wind conditions is good to have as there are more low-wind than high-wind days per year, but at first even a kite designed for low wind speed will be difficult to fly easily at first. It is a completely different game. You must learn to load the sail and fly with a lot of brake to keep the sail as square to the wind as possible. The more often you try, the better you get, but it takes time on the lines to get the hang of it. It's kind of like starting over again. Just keep at it. It will come. You may even look forward to low wind eventually. It has its own panache.

Ok, will persevere.  Having read some old posts, they talk about that in detail so I'll go back over it.  Kiteworld here in the uk are making me up 30ft and 50ft lines from a stock 80ft... just to try something different.  Handy when the beach is busy with dogs and people at high tide.  Again, some old posts cover the pluses and minuses of short lines in detail... or least their opinions!!!  This is one of my fly sites on Dartmoor... The standing stones are 2-3 thousand years old...thanks again...

image.jpeg