First flight on my new Rev Reflex RX

Matt G

So my Rev arrived today and a day early so with great excitement I watched the DVD and read the instruction manual and then rushed out to my local flying field Luckily it's only 300 yds from my house it's not perfect but its close and large (4 soccer pitches) the wind was light and variable with a noticeable 30-40 degree shift in the wind. The Laser Pro 90x80 were perfectly matched length and the rev went together quickly after watching the DVD instructions. Got the kite set with the handle staked and popped it up it initially raced skywards but the wind is variable and with no movement on the handles the kite sank and drifted sideways, resetting the kite I manage a small turn and then again with the wind dropping and shifting back to the ground it fell. I did notice at on the first few launches I was moving my hands like a DLK but the consciously held my hands level and gained a little more control but with the wind shifts was unable to keep it in the air for more than 30  seconds. One question is in lighter winds I had the top line on the longest knot was this right? or in lighter winds do i come closer to the handle? 

Light, variable wind is by far the most difficult in which to learn to fly a quad. Although you can fly a Rev with inputs similar to those used with a DLK, you will soon find that there is much more to be had with a QLK. If you have previous experience with DLKs, you will soon find that DLK inputs are used frequently, but in combination with other inputs for greatly improved precision and control. I recommend waiting for wind that is steady in a range of 7 to 14 mph. In variable, light wind most experienced pilots must constantly adjust for the changes. This is something you will learn with time, so it is even more difficult to learn if you haven't yet developed that particular muscle memory. If you constantly fly in radically different wind conditions you will learn close to nothing, and will not improve your muscle memory efficiently. A bit of patience in waiting for acceptable wind as you start your QLK journey will help dramatically in the learning process. Being able to duplicate any move consistently will make you better more quickly. I know how hard it is to wait until the wind is right. Bin dare, dun dat. Fly with experienced pilots whenever possible.

If you are well versed with DLKs, then you know that tipping the nose of the kite forward or back (adjusting the mean angle of attack) is how you tune the kite for lighter or stronger winds. The same holds true for QLKs, and that is what you are doing by moving the top lines to knots either closer or further from the handles. How much you move them depends on the wind speed and your level of experience. For now, just know that for lighter wind you move them out to put more wind pressure in the sail. In stronger wind, up to a point, you can bring them in to let some wind spill off the sail. This also depends on your level of experience. I usually fly out on the last or second knot from which it is possible to launch the kite. Most beginners cannot get the kite airborne at that setting. It is possible that you had the lines set too far out. If you're not getting desired results, adjust and try it with different settings. It has a lot to do with level of personal comfort, and whether you are flying solo or with others. Plus, we all hold the handles differently because of hand size, age, disability, comfort zone, hand strength, etctera, so the "average" will not work as well for some. One size does not fit all.

It sounds a little bit complicated at times, but will become second-nature eventually. Hang in there and most importantly, have fun. That is every kiter's primary purpose.

The second evening the wind was a little stronger and from a steady direction and I could really get the kite moving concentrating firstly on the box shapes then figure 8's the controls started to feel normal but not instinctive and I have to analyze what I did and how it affected the movement of the kite. Next was the hover which is much much harder than all the YouTube videos make it look! I had little success with it I feel that I must be over controlling the kite as it wants to race forwards but I can back it down very slowly but can't find the "bite" when it stops and wants to hover yet. 

Day 3 and after an hour of single line flying with my son the wind felt good and steady so I set up the Rev again and really had a great time oh god this is fun to fly really felt comfortable in flying it around hovers did start to come together, I found them much easier at the top and bottom of the wind window, on the edges it veered off sliding and in the centre it was like a caged animal trying to race upwards! I felt comfortable enough to try an inverted stop and managed it a few times nicely but I lost my nerve and was pulling up high and about 2m above the ground, it did stop wonderfully but again my brain started to hurt working out inputs of the kite flying backward and upside down ! but fun none the less.

• Like 1

Matt, your progress is awesome to read and brings back so many memories.  Looks like you are doing great and learning well.  The more you fly the easier and more instinctive it becomes.  Keep up the learning but never forget the fun factor, after all that is what really counts. :)

When you begin thinking about it take a break. Try to feel the kite instead. Close your eyes with the kite parked upright and feel the wind fluctuations. Launch the kite with your eyes closed. See if you can determine in which direction it's moving and then open your eyes. Do the same exercise with the kite parked inverted.

Have fun, smile and don't forget to breathe.

• Like 1