Albuquerque, New Mexico

gobydavid@yahoo.com

Ever seen the movie "The Goods - Live Hard, Sell Hard"? DON'T TALK ABOUT 'QUERQUE!!!!!!! laugh.gif

I'll be in Albuquerque, New Mexico this weekend to visit family and see the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta. I should be available to fly Saturday or Sunday.

I'm trying to take a Rev (or 2) into the fiesta itself.... I'm still working on contacting the balloon fiesta event managers. I think it will be ok, there is a kite fair happening on the end of the field at the balloon museum. The kite fair itself is showcasing Asian-designed kites, all week long.

:( I see Jim Foster already asked about fliers in Albuquerque: Rev Fliers near Albuquerque. 0 replies.

I should have posted this a week or so ago. Anyone interested in meeting up to fly with me in Albuquerque? Send a PM please.

Ah, very nice! Thanks for the reply Jim Foster wink.gif

I was at the festival too last year. Unfortunately, I wasn't flying Revs then. We were there for the "Mass Ascending" first thing in the morning, then left to ride the tram (fastest tram in the world!) and hike the mountains.

This year we are skipping the getting-up-early part and checking out some of the daytime festival activities. We might go see the "Glowdeo" event in the evening. I'll be trying to "Rev" up the festival a little this time!

Ah, very nice! Thanks for the reply Jim Foster wink.gif

I was at the festival too last year. Unfortunately, I wasn't flying Revs then. We were there for the "Mass Ascending" first thing in the morning, then left to ride the tram (fastest tram in the world!) and hike the mountains.

This year we are skipping the getting-up-early part and checking out some of the daytime festival activities. We might go see the "Glowdeo" event in the evening. I'll be trying to "Rev" up the festival a little this time!

You may want to re-think your plans. Everything pretty much shuts down during the day, and if the wind is blowing, there is no "Glowdeo".

Plenty of time to fly between sun-up and when they break. Events begin again at 2 PM on Saturday.

I know they don't like the wind, and will halt any balloon launches if it picks up. Either way, works for me! I'll fly and the girls will browse the shopping tents if the Glowdeo is shut down. If the event folks will let me.

If it doesn't work out, for whatever reason...... Random park / soccer field in Albuquerque, here I come. I'm staying near the Coronado mall.

I'm still hopeful that I will run into some other Rev pilots. The American Kitefliers Association has its roots in New Mexico, for goodness sake!

• 2 weeks later...

Back from vacation. Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I didn't fly my Rev at the balloon festival :( in fact, we only spent an hour at the festival during my whole vacation. Maybe next year.....

While in Albuquerque, I flew at one park: U.S.S. Bullhead Memorial park. It's a pretty big park, 44 acres. 7 soccer fields. Nothing really borders the park on 3 sides, so the wind was pretty decent. Also, its close to the airport and the base.

Naw SV, I was out there flying 4 separate times/days! wink.gif So glad we got a rental car for the week.

There are quite a few parks in ABQ, all with terrible flying conditions! Parks tucked away in neighborhoods with huge trees everywhere. So much greener than Vegas though! Visited 5 different parks, looking to fly. 4 of them weren't even worth trying. So glad my aunt new about Bullhead Memorial Park!

Only visited the balloon festival long enough to eat some Indian fry-bread and grab some souvenirs. The weather was good, but a member of our party was more under-the-weather than she initially thought, so we left early to take her home. We've seen the festival many times, so we decided to travel around New Mexico a bit, and we never made it back.

After traveling to Santa Fe, I'm determined to fly there next year! Didn't take the kites with me in case it was too hot to leave them in the car.

<snip>

After traveling to Santa Fe, I'm determined to fly there next year! Didn't take the kites with me in case it was too hot to leave them in the car.

In 1992 we briefly visited Santa Fe on the way to Lubbock (AKA). The idea of re-tracing that trip and spending a bit more time doing it is on my list of "things to do".

Felix