Flailed and Failed

fungus

ok so yesterday i had time to fly

nice open sports field

wind speed according to my highly accurate 'wet finger in the air' just above 'bugger all'

set up 1.5 sul ( i know its old tech the REV B PRO SUL is on the waybiggrin.gif )

1.5 on 100ft x 50lb and Zen on 100 ft x 90 lb

i managed to keep flying and i was long arm flailing most of the time but i can't say it was pretty or satisfying

i switched to Zen on 60ft x 50 lb for the last 20 minutes and that was ok

just hoping my B PRO SUL fills that low wind spot or i learn to fly the ZEN

fungussmile.gif

As someone who is still learning the ropes in a lot of areas, I feel particularly well suited to comment on this one .... especially since I have recently found a marked difference in my low wind skills compared to what I recall.

The first time I realised that I actually COULD fly in wind that was just above bugger all was one fay when I pitched up at a secluded beach site after a drive to discover I usually couldn't feel the wind on the back of my neck unless there was a gust (in which case I could JUST feel it). All I was armed with was my original SLE sail with a 1/4" 3-wrap frame and I really wanted to fly. To be honest I didn't even think I could've flown my Zen in that wind and I though my only chance would have been my Indoor Rev .... but I had driven all that way and to not try would have been a definite waste of my time, so I decided to give it a go. I setup on 50' on 90# line and thought I'd use the opportunity to practice my low wind skills like in the JB tutorials if that was even possible.

I think my jaw was on the ground for the firs 5 minutes because I was actually able to keep it going and I was honestly flying in those conditions with a sail and frame that is heavier and all 'wrong' for those conditions (or rather the lack there of). I flew for about 30 minutes before packing it in due to the insane heat and humidity. If it were not for that I would have kept flying so I could reinforce that feeling and skill as much as possible.

Just last week I had the opportunity to fly my B2 (3-wrap frame) against my B series (Race frame) and my Zen (full Race frame) in conditions I again thought were below my abilities. I know you read that, but that was a good afternoon of about 3 hours flight time where once again I astounded myself.

Yesterday I once again put the SLE sail with 3-wrap frame up in light conditions and flew again in something I didn't think was that possible. This time I struggled a bit (altho I was flying and doing alright) but the reason confirmed what I previously thought to be the case - the QUALITY of the wind (not the speed) has a major influence on your ability to develop and implement the skills.

With good quality wind I can fly a heavy rev with the wrong frame in wind lower than I had ever believed I could go with my Zen. As the quality drops, so does my ability to function in those conditions. With that said, having had some good conditions to practice in, I am far more able to deal with the poorer quality winds. It really is a function of pilot skill more than the specific rev. The specifics will provide small advantages over a lesser configuration, but they are small and can be overcome by skill. I find low wind wants a smoother, lighter touch on the handles, but thats me .... I believe the art of flailing is best learnt from RevFlyer ;)

Don't set yourself up for disappointment by expecting magic from your Pro, get in some quality low wind and then MAKE magic happen on any sail you pick up :)

• Like 1

thanks kwmf

flailed and failed - day 2

60ft x 50 lb ZEN only

I LOVE MY ZEN

went out in a better state of mind but same conditions and flew for 2 hours including 4 360's, 1 at a time, i aint that fit

had to go to ASDA (walmart) and buy sour lemons to take the big silly grin of my face , before i go to work at ASDAbiggrin.gif

fungussmile.gif

i've been flying duallies for 20 years + and Revs for 10 years

so i've got some experience , i'm just a lazy flatfootlaugh.gif

'state of mind' is this a therapy sessionwacko.gif , unfortunately i need medication feel as well as i do nowangry.gif

fungussmile.gif

i've been flying duallies for 20 years + and Revs for 10 years

so i've got some experience , i'm just a lazy flatfoot

'state of mind' is this a therapy session , unfortunately i need medication feel as well as i do now

fungus

"Zen and the Art of..." If the flier has to stand still then there may be limitations to what may be possible with a given wind speed.

If the flier can move around and angle the kite to maintain effective 'lift' (especially in respect of LE left or right facing traversing) light wind flying is much more viable.

In making transitions from left to right LE traverses left and right arms will have to be in opposite positions. You can call it "flailing" if you like but the kite will fall out of the sky if you have your wrists 'tied' together... Powering the kite round the turns from one aspect to the other will make all the difference. Making the turns 'upwards' ones will probably be very advantageous in terms of 'gaining' ground. Keeping the handles horizontal will help eliminate the 'wobbles'.

EDIT Here is Bart's take from WSIKF 2010...

Felix