1.5 SUL or Not?

flt101

Question

Recently I bought a 1.5 SUL from a dealer making room for new stock. When I received the kite I noticed quickly the sail said 1.5 SLE. It came with a 2 wrap frame and no SLE washers/spacers if you will. When I contacted the dealer back, he stated that being old stock that these 1.5 SUL's was marked from the factory as 1.5 SLE's but they was in fact 1.5 SUL's. My question to the experts here is, what do I actually have?

Edited by hyzakite

11 answers to this question

SLE was printed on the sail of all REV 1.5s, excluding the JB Series and the EXP, from 1998 through I think 2009.

It is highly likely that you have a REV 1.5 SUL.

For when the winds pick up, change out those 2 wrap rods for 3 wrap rods or better yet Race Rods.

That is such a relief to know!! Is the sail of the sul that is stamped 1.5sle actually lighter than one that is an actual a 1.5sle in the same color or is it all in the frame weights, I know I can't compare weights with some of the 1.5 sails with mylar or even different frames as i have some 2 wrap frames that weight as little as 72gm and as much as 84gms.

SULs usually have the leading edge pocket made from kite material rather than the heavier material used on other Revs.

Actually, as far as I know Rev doesn't use anything except 4.9oz dacron for the leading edge sleeve on any kite (maybe the indoor?) unless there's a special order directly to the factory -- they'll do 1.5oz ripstop upon request. Paul LaMasters orders all of his that way, and I ordered my full-sail 1.5 Pro with the ripstop LE...

All of the center panels on the 1.5's are pre-printed with the 1.5 SLE logo's. Even the SUL model. The easiest way to tell if you have an SUL is to look at the leading edge material and the bridle. The leading edge material on the SUL kites will be made from ripstop material. All standard 1.5 leading edges are made from dacron. The bridle of the 1.5 will be made from spectra - usually all white. All standard 1.5's will have a spectra core bridle line which can be most any color but usually either red, black or gray (or a mix of two colors).

The SUL is also usually shipped with 2 wrap frame and an extra 3 wrap leading edge (for complete packages) but when ordered as "kite only" will usually only ship with one 2 wrap frame. Pre-2010 models were only supplied with one frame on both the standard and SUL models. Standard 1.5's are shipped with a 3 wrap SLE frame and the 2010 models and later also include a standard 1/4" 3 wrap leading edge.

Edited by awindofchange

Ordered a SUL from Kent at AWOC, he's on the money with his description!!! :) Bridle for the SUL is only 90# spectra line, mark it and use some super glue or clear nail polish on the knots, they can slip with use and you'll want to put it back in the factory position!! :wacko: They usually come with a 2 wrap frame, so if that's what you got, enjoy!! That's what I have!!!:)

You shouldn't have problems with any other kites!!:) The SUL's lighter bridle is a different material and can slip!!! Maybe yes, maybe no!! :wacko: If you mark the knots, if they move, it will be easy to see the changes!!:) The drop of glue trick helps keep that from happening!:) I've had a Rev 1 from the mid 90s that has never had any slipping problems, they use a different line to create the bridle!:)Remember to fly if proper conditions - if the winds are up, put a stronger frame in, or switch sails!! I don't like to fly mine in gusty conditions - won't take the chance of stretching out the sail if I can avoid it!!:angry: But they do let you fly when a lot of others are sitting around!!:)