String length question for 1.5 SLE SUL

Question

I have a rev SLE 1.5 SUL.  I have four identical line lengths and it just goes straight up and back down leading edge first.  I shortened the line lengths six inches on the bottom and now the kite flys very good.  My question is why aren't the lines operating properly at 4 identical lengths?  The only reason I can come up with is that because maybe the SUL handles are longer on the bottom?  My first rev but definately not my first 4 line.

10 answers to this question

Most Rev kites fly better with the top lines lengthened, or bottom lines shortened... This increases the reverse control.

The most popular line length for a 1.5 (SUL or otherwise) seems to be 75'... Myself, I like 100'-125' for the additional space it gives me in the sky.

Wow thanks for the quick reply.  Im just making sure I am not going insane for not getting the proper response by following the instructions  :o

Even with an SUL in 3-5mph wind do you still recommend 75'+?   I am currently flying with 50' #90

50' is fine too... It all comes down to personal taste.

Shorter lines are quicker, more responsive.

Longer lines feel a bit slower, and give you more room to fly.

You might also try 50# lines on your SUL... I really like the light lines on my SUL Revs. ;)

The leading edge material on the SUL should be a heavy ripstop... While the standard 1.5 is a tougher, dacron leading edge material.

The ripstop can stretch a little bit more when flown in high winds, but yes, it can be flown.

As for extra spars/framing... I would try ordering through one of your local shops... Where do you live?

Well, if it comes to mail order... I'd price out some of the vendors listed in the retailers section of this site, or any of the retail advertisers on www.Kitelife.com - I know all of them personally, and at least one of them will have what you need.  :wink:

Originally I always flew with "factory" lines , until I flew with more experienced fliers and they will almost always 'help you out' by knotting the lower lines an inch or two for a better feel. This seems to work fine and you develop a feel for the brakes. I also was taught to vary the length of my lines for a different feel to my kites (shorter is quicker) and have built line sets of 100',80',50' & 30'. I intend on making lines sets of 125' and 150' to complete my collection. Just experiment to find what works 'cause its all about how your kite feels to you.   Steven T.

line length depends on the kite and winds strong wind kites would need longer lines 75 to 100 feet light to zero wind would need shorter lines 30 to 50 feet i have all 4 lengths and a set of 20 footers for my indoor