Making new line sets

dazlarsen

Question

Hello There Rev Heads

I am thinking of making my own line sets,I fly a jb pro vented.I was wondering if anyone out there in rev world has any ideas on what line to use.I was thinking of trying braid(ex fisherman so I have loads of it).This question is probably on this forum and been asked a 100 times but I cant find it so can you help.

Thanks

Daz

9 answers to this question

Hello There Rev Heads

I am thinking of making my own line sets,I fly a jb pro vented.I was wondering if anyone out there in rev world has any ideas on what line to use.I was thinking of trying braid(ex fisherman so I have loads of it).This question is probably on this forum and been asked a 100 times but I cant find it so can you help.

Thanks

Daz

Don't mess about just use Laser Pro.

Tried most of them or been around people who have. Still come back to it.

It doesn't sag as much and is slippery as snot. Make your sleeving as small as possible.

Your going to spend an hour plus making these lines so don't waste your time with anything else.

If you cannot be bothered to make up your own contact T at the the Kite Shoppe.

Bazzer

Hello There Rev Heads

Thanks

Daz

Several of your countrymen have been experimenting with fishing line by Laser Pro. However, most others will tell you that your best long term value is to use either Shanti Speed or Laser Pro Gold lines. You've spent the money for a great kite, don't hobble its performance with cheap lines.

Use 90# line and make your first set somewhere in the 75 to 90 feet length ... that's a good intermediate length. Check with others in your area and make your line set to match their length. Having a matching length will make it easier to learn to fly with two or three others. That length is also the best compromise between precision/feel and wind window size ... it's a great length to use for learning ... many continue to use that length when flying solo.

Save the 120 foot length for your second or third set. You'll need that length when flying in large groups. It's not as easy of a length to use for initial learning.

You might consider a 30 to 50 foot length for your second or third set. That's a good length to use when the winds are very light.

Good luck,

Tom

Don't mess about just use Laser Pro.

Tried most of them or been around people who have. Still come back to it.

It doesn't sag as much and is slippery as snot. Make your sleeving as small as possible.

Your going to spend an hour plus making these lines so don't waste your time with anything else.

If you cannot be bothered to make up your own contact T at the the Kite Shoppe.

Bazzer

Barry, you've got to speak up and stop being so shy about expressing your opinions!!

I love the discussions about which brand of line to use ... it's almost a religious discussion. Although I've got one Shanti line set, I keep gravitating to the Laser Pro. My son flew both my LPG and Shanti line sets when he first started and picked Shanti ... go figure. For group flying, the coating on the LPG seems to help prevent the braid from opening up and grabbing when mistakes are made.

You said "make your sleeving as small as possible" ... what did you mean; use as small a diameter of sleeving as possible ... make the loop as small as possible ... or both?

Cheers,

Tom

What Bazzer said.

LPG all the way,its just about the best.

I think thin sleeves in diameter is what Bazzer is on about Tom.Much more tidy,less bunching and isnt nasty when wet.Looks and feels better.Ive just ordered some black Dacron with spectra core.The stuff is 100lb break strain.Nice and thin.Strip the core and its kewl sleeveing.

God Bless Tim Benson and Sky Burners fine Lady Marieanne.

BRIAN...

... I think thin sleeves in diameter is what Bazzer is on about Tom.Much more tidy,less bunching and isnt nasty when wet.Looks and feels better.Ive just ordered some black Dacron with spectra core.The stuff is 100lb break strain.Nice and thin.Strip the core and its kewl sleeveing.

God Bless Tim Benson and Sky Burners fine Lady Marieanne.

BRIAN...

Brian,

I bought Shani sleeving 'cuz it was much thinner than other stuff that's out and about. But, when JB was looking at my Half-Pint kite, he told me to get some 50# line and, almost with disgust, he said "get some thin sleeving." So, I guess one man's thin sleeving is another man's ship hawser.

Did you order your sleeving from Sky Burner?

Cheers,

Tom