Flying Technique Mega Team

Felix

Question

I wrote the following in response to a question about some video of a 'mega team' and realised that it could be expanded with additional explanation:-

<Quote: Consider the neutral position in any wind speed! In order to make the kite move forwards you could change the position of the handles or you could move backwards to generate an effective increase in windspeed so generating forward movement of the kite.

Translate that with the benefit of 'muscle memory' and the additional benefit of moving rapidly forwards in anticipation of the next position that needs to be adopted to maintain the desired position of the kite and you have a 'result'!

The dynamic interaction of flier and kite is in evidence some of the time in iQuad's performance. Others have not yet recognised the many advantages of this technique!!!!:end quote>

Please consider an upward wing-tip turn from a stationary position facing left or right. If the lower portion of the sail is swept forwards and around by a long sweep of the arm the resulting end position is one where the angle of attack of the kite is correct for maintaining alltitude at the end of the manouvre. This can be emphasised with a 'snap stop' by tweaking and releasing the 'reverse' line.

Felix

8 answers to this question

Yes I can see how it would work on a wing tip turn. It is also easy to get into you head with say an inverted take off. But coordinate that powering with the complexity of clockwork and the brain goes BANG! One for me to work on, but thanks for the tip Felix.

Yes I can see how it would work on a wing tip turn. It is also easy to get into you head with say an inverted take off. But coordinate that powering with the complexity of clockwork and the brain goes BANG! One for me to work on, but thanks for the tip Felix.

OK, don't think about it too much but for rotating the kite on the spot - push and pull - only! As the kite is more boyant when moving a firm step back when stopping at any angle will provide the extra lift for a precise stop! The hands will be in the right place...

<grins>

Felix

Felix,

Tried the grid at Wildwood with a group of mixed abilities.

30 kites in lots of five.

formed from a flying line horizontal line.( Had just finished a follow)

Took count from the head of the line. Those then moved back and so on.

Last two groups walked froward into position. ( saved those in the first row walking to far)

Split ACE to left and BD to right and threaded using 180 turns . No problems.

Did not try vertical only horizontal. Vertical thread will be just fine. Diagonal would take some on field logistics! but would be possible if everyone could see the big picture.

Went together very smoothly.

All good

Bazzer

Felix,

Tried the grid at Wildwood with a group of mixed abilities.

30 kites in lots of five.

formed from a flying line horizontal line.( Had just finished a follow)

Took count from the head of the line. Those then moved back and so on.

Last two groups walked froward into position. ( saved those in the first row walking to far)

Split ACE to left and BD to right and threaded using 180 turns . No problems.

Did not try vertical only horizontal. Vertical thread will be just fine. Diagonal would take some on field logistics! but would be possible if everyone could see the big picture.

Went together very smoothly.

All good

Bazzer

Hi Bazzer,

Great news! The 'big picture' is what it takes! 30 kites (6 x 5) gives 18 outer 'circle' kites, 10 middle 'circle' and 2 in the centre. A stepped burst would be cool! <grins>

I have just been looking at some video of Uchinada that Masanobu Komuro has sent on DVD...

Felix

Great news! The 'big picture' is what it takes! 30 kites (6 x 5) gives 18 outer 'circle' kites, 10 middle 'circle' and 2 in the centre. A stepped burst would be cool! <grins>

Ooohhh that would be spectacular.

(it was fun being in a central ball of 3 with 4 on the outside).

so 18, 10, 2 would be such a sight. :)

I really hope you attempt that.

much better looking than lots of lines trying to squeeze a pinwheel motion in unison :wacko:

Ooohhh that would be spectacular.

(it was fun being in a central ball of 3 with 4 on the outside).

so 18, 10, 2 would be such a sight. :)

I really hope you attempt that.

much better looking than lots of lines trying to squeeze a pinwheel motion in unison :wacko:

I hope we can try this!

25 gives 16:8:1 and if there were 50 fliers I had envisaged 2 sets of 25!

36 gives 20:12:4 which could be interesting as I had noted elsewhere.

I hope to find the time to run through other permutations. They can be drawn out quite quickly. Most important is that the fliers understand the bigger picture....

Felix

I hope we can try this!

25 gives 16:8:1 and if there were 50 fliers I had envisaged 2 sets of 25!

36 gives 20:12:4 which could be interesting as I had noted elsewhere.

I hope to find the time to run through other permutations. They can be drawn out quite quickly. Most important is that the fliers understand the bigger picture....

Felix

I will look into a little Flash animation if I get time. Then we can actually watch the whole picture in our own twisted virtual world.

49 being our next magic number.

The balls would look like a helix from the side. Awesome

Bazzer

I will look into a little Flash animation if I get time. Then we can actually watch the whole picture in our own twisted virtual world.

49 being our next magic number.

The balls would look like a helix from the side. Awesome

Bazzer

I had thought that 7 x 7 was a little ambitious which is why I was considering 25 x 2 for setting up circles for bursts!

49 is 24:16:8:1 which takes it up another level. An animation could be very useful in order to get the concept across.

I think that we will need to be flexible on the day which makes it 'more demanding'.

<grins> again!

Watching the brief 6 x 6 at Uchinada again I can see that even the simplest routines in the grid are going to look spectacular with c50 up. Is Drachenman going to be at Portsmouth/Bristol?

Felix