Extra long lines

976herget

Question

I was thinking of making some really long lines. Somewhere around 200-250 ft. Is this a bad idea?  I fly in an open field with no trees and nobody to hit with my kite if I lose control.

I just figure it would get the kite into more steady winds. Please let me know if this is a bad idea and if so, why? Thank you for all the advice in advance.

2 answers to this question

15 hours ago, 976herget said:

I was thinking of making some really long lines. Somewhere around 200-250 ft. Is this a bad idea?  I fly in an open field with no trees and nobody to hit with my kite if I lose control.

I just figure it would get the kite into more steady winds. Please let me know if this is a bad idea and if so, why? Thank you for all the advice in advance.

It's fun and really different. I've flown on 250' lines but only once. There is not much advantage as far as getting up into the wind goes and control becomes weird. The kite's speed and response time slow down very much and the kite must lift the weight of the additional line. Not much advantage if the wind is slow or inconsistent to begin with because it is usually proportionally slow and/or inconsistent higher up. The longest lines I would think to be enjoyable (not a ton of work) would be 180 feet, with 150 being a more realistic choice. If you want an idea of how long lines change performance, just connect (larkshead) two 120-foot sets, or a 120 and an 80.

150 to 180 will give you a huge wind window without becoming laborious.