Rosedale Park, Hopewell NJ

ahofer

I flew here today (see maps link below). The driveway (from Federal City Road) traces the highest elevation through a wide open field, so the wind is decent down at the ground and doesn't seem to swirl much. I had a good day there with my Zen in 1-3 mph (with occasional 0).

There's also a nice big flag visible to the flying area.

I've been casing the local parks and this is the best so far. Battlefield and Rockingham actually set below the trees, so ground-level is dodgy. I haven't tried Mercer Park, but I've heard the same.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.330221,-74.759045&spn=0.027579,0.053773&t=h&z=15&iwloc=lyrftr:com.panoramio.all,13515370053551440407,40.328651,-74.760804&lci=com.panoramio.all

I flew there again yesterday for a little while. The wind was out of the North, and was very strong along the ground, no random gusts. There were only a few people in the park, mostly kayakers, joggers and fishermen.

Here's a better map with the right entrance marked (Federal City Road). The land over to the South of Blackwell Road has become park as well (it used to be AT&T's, if I'm not mistaken). I see a huge field there, which might be worth checking out.

http://tinyurl.com/2defps4

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

So I went out there today for a few hours while my son was at a Birthday party in Pennington. There was a HUGE boy/cub/webelo scout camp-out all over the lawn. That's the largest crowd of kids wanting to try a rev I have ever encountered. Unfortunately, the wind was kind of light making for challenging beginner conditions.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Looks like a nice park! How is the tree situation there? Does it cause any nasty swirl or is there enough open space for that not to be an issue?

Lots of open space on either side of the access road, which also happens to be the high point. I've always been able to fly there.