Love my REV EXP, finally broke it, which kite next?

Sage

Question

I say finally broke it because I am suprised it has lasted this long, I can't even count how many times I have hit the ground at full speed.

It was a gusty windy day at about 14 mph, I crashed at a 30 degree angle into the ground breaking the left carbon fiber rod.

I still find my control lacking and unable to fly inverted, I suspect this will come with time. I probably have 12 hours behind the sticks.

Am I ready to move up to a shockwave or supersonice? Why would I go with one or the other of those kites?

P.S. to the gentleman that helped me untangle my lines Friday night in Mountain View. If your on here thank you very much.

12 answers to this question

No need to toss the kite, just get yourself a replacement rod. Many kite shops have them in stock for you depending on where you are at. If you don't have a local shop then we have them in stock as well.

Revolution EXP Replacement Parts

If you want to move on to another kite, the B-Series may be a great upgrade for you. The Sonic and Shockwave are also fun but very fast and could be a bit of a handful for you until you really get use to them. They actually come with spare rods so you may want to double up on a couple leading edges if you decide to go for one of the speed series.

Hope that helps.

No need to toss the kite, just get yourself a replacement rod. Many kite shops have them in stock for you depending on where you are at. If you don't have a local shop then we have them in stock as well.

Revolution EXP Replacement Parts

If you want to move on to another kite, the B-Series may be a great upgrade for you. The Sonic and Shockwave are also fun but very fast and could be a bit of a handful for you until you really get use to them. They actually come with spare rods so you may want to double up on a couple leading edges if you decide to go for one of the speed series.

Hope that helps.

That is very helpful, I will order the rod with another kite, just not sure which one yet.

Sage,

At 12 hours and still crashing alot, I'd just fix the EXP for now, it's meant to be a beginners kite. For 14 mph+ winds, you might consider a vented 1.5 SLE or the B series as your next Rev. The SLE is a nice robust rod, I like it...others don't.

In the mean time, it sounds like you should work on reverse flight and inverted hovers. I can still remember the crossed lines/inputs making my head hurt. When it becomes second nature, it will be alot more fun. When you see that crash coming, hit the brakes (reverse) hard. If it doesn't stop the kite, it will slow it down. The dive/stop is good practice, although a risky move. Hitting the ground flat/square is better than at an angle, as you found out.

If you ever get out to the Berkeley Marina (Chesar Chavez Park) on the weekends, you'll find some experienced fliers happy to help.

That is very helpful, I will order the rod with another kite, just not sure which one yet.

If you're set on getting another kite, I'd recommend a vented 1.5 with the 1/4" 4-wrap leading edge option. Not only will it give you access to higher winds (15+mph) that your EXP can't handle well, but it will also probably make learning many moves easier because of the vented kite's extremely high stability.

Venteds can fly very well in anything above a consistent 10mph wind. You can fly them in lower winds than that, but you won't be able to do a lot of things with them (such as a climbing side slide) because the kite just isn't producing enough lift.

Edited by kairusan

I would agree. For a compliment to your EXP, the Vented 1.5 (or vented B-Series) would be perfect. That way you would have your EXP for the lighter winds (from 4-5 to 10+ mph) and then the Vented for the stronger winds (8-10 to 20+ mph). Also, if you purchase the B-Series, it comes with two frame sets - which would also give you the replacement rod that you need for your EXP. The B-Series Vented comes with a 3 wrap frame and a 4 wrap frame. The 3 Wrap frame in the B-Series is the exact same frame you have in the EXP.

You already have a set of lines as well, so you could use your EXP lines on your B-Series.

Hope that helps.

I would agree. For a compliment to your EXP, the Vented 1.5 (or vented B-Series) would be perfect. That way you would have your EXP for the lighter winds (from 4-5 to 10+ mph) and then the Vented for the stronger winds (8-10 to 20+ mph). Also, if you purchase the B-Series, it comes with two frame sets - which would also give you the replacement rod that you need for your EXP. The B-Series Vented comes with a 3 wrap frame and a 4 wrap frame. The 3 Wrap frame in the B-Series is the exact same frame you have in the EXP.

You already have a set of lines as well, so you could use your EXP lines on your B-Series.

Hope that helps.

Thank you all very much, I will take your recommendations under consideration. I am hoping that my wife picked me up a new count on her trip to San Diego. In the mean time I have a working kit now, with borrowed replacement rod. This weekend I flew until I was sore.

I would agree. For a compliment to your EXP, the Vented 1.5 (or vented B-Series) would be perfect. That way you would have your EXP for the lighter winds (from 4-5 to 10+ mph) and then the Vented for the stronger winds (8-10 to 20+ mph).

Based on the responses here, I am going to order a B-series night vented today. I know everyone here knows this but changing kites as the wind changes should only take a few minutes. I have been flying the exp in winds that are approaching or exceeding 15 mph and its just to fast. The other day the wind picked up beyond 15 mph for about 10 minutes and instead of landing I practiced flying the edge's of the wind from the ground on the left straight overhead to the ground on the right. It was actually quite fun and allowed me to fly without damaging the kite or lines.

Although I still like the idea of hitting the ground twice as fast with a supersonic :)

Based on the responses here, I am going to order a B-series night vented today. I know everyone here knows this but changing kites as the wind changes should only take a few minutes. I have been flying the exp in winds that are approaching or exceeding 15 mph and its just to fast. The other day the wind picked up beyond 15 mph for about 10 minutes and instead of landing I practiced flying the edge's of the wind from the ground on the left straight overhead to the ground on the right. It was actually quite fun and allowed me to fly without damaging the kite or lines.

Although I still like the idea of hitting the ground twice as fast with a supersonic :)

I tried to learn how to fly on a Supersonic because I was only going to have one kite & the SS is the most fun! Ha! Fortunately a friend loaned me a 1.5 & everything made sense, definately get an SS but wait till you get past crashing!

John

PS Sorry, about the" twice as fast "crack! :innocent:

PS Sorry, about the" twice as fast "crack! :innocent:

I took it the way I think you intended it, which was lighted hearted and good. But it really got me thinking about whether or not I could actually handle an SS and I don't think I could right now. Flying inverted backwards some times results in my kite going crazy, btw its the kite not me, I am convinced that exp's can't flight backwards. :lol:

I won't be able to use my new kite tomorrow, but I am going to santa cruz to fly in constant 5mph winds. Hopefully it will pick up a bit, but I am not holding my breath.

I won't be able to use my new kite tomorrow, but I am going to santa cruz to fly in constant 5mph winds. Hopefully it will pick up a bit, but I am not holding my breath.

For someone new to the Rev, 5mph is slightly light, but very doable, especially if they are steady and consistent. Give it a try, you may surprise yourself! Give a steady 5mph to someone with some experience and they can play all the day long! B)