Correct Line Lengths

JorgeMontgomery

Question

I have a Rev I that I bought 18-20 years ago and a Rev II about 15 years ago.... I recently pulled them out of the closet after a few years of pursuing other hobbies and flew them down along the Texas Coast this weekend. They flew pretty good and I had the hang of it after only a minute or two. The Rev II acted squirrley, and after checking the line lengths, the uppers are off left/right about 1/2".... No big deal, easy fix. I don't have my original manuals, and cannot remember if the top lines are longer or equal length as the lowers?? Haven't checked the Rev I lines yet but same question as the II comes to mind.

Can anyone tell me the correct lengths?

Thanks in advance....

Fantastic kites..... Had a blast flying them again!

George

2 answers to this question

I have a Rev I that I bought 18-20 years ago and a Rev II about 15 years ago.... I recently pulled them out of the closet after a few years of pursuing other hobbies and flew them down along the Texas Coast this weekend. They flew pretty good and I had the hang of it after only a minute or two. The Rev II acted squirrley, and after checking the line lengths, the uppers are off left/right about 1/2".... No big deal, easy fix. I don't have my original manuals, and cannot remember if the top lines are longer or equal length as the lowers?? Haven't checked the Rev I lines yet but same question as the II comes to mind.

Can anyone tell me the correct lengths?

Thanks in advance....

Fantastic kites..... Had a blast flying them again!

George

The REV II always had equal line lengths. So check that all four lines are within 5mm or 1/4" of each other.

The early REV I's had different line lengths from top to bottom. I think it was about 15cm or 6". It would be wise place pig tails of the different length on the bridle or get a new bridle. Then you can correct your REV I line to the same length. With this you can interchange the line sets between your two REVs.

On top of this you might consider creating pig tails with various knots for your handles. Space the knots around 25mm or 1" from each other.

Look around on this forum, you will see plenty of pictures of handles with pigtails on them.

Also, get rid of all those old metal clips and swivels on the lines and bridle.

Thanks John. I appreciate the post.

The REV II always had equal line lengths. So check that all four lines are within 5mm or 1/4" of each other.

The early REV I's had different line lengths from top to bottom. I think it was about 15cm or 6". It would be wise place pig tails of the different length on the bridle or get a new bridle. Then you can correct your REV I line to the same length. With this you can interchange the line sets between your two REVs.

On top of this you might consider creating pig tails with various knots for your handles. Space the knots around 25mm or 1" from each other.

Look around on this forum, you will see plenty of pictures of handles with pigtails on them.

Also, get rid of all those old metal clips and swivels on the lines and bridle.