rev 1

antman

it should be here soon today would be the day to try it out the winds are 26+  we have a storm moveing therugh here and the winds are hard at the time im getting into the windy season so the vented kites are going to be great for me no more sitting home when the winds are to high i hope the vss is what they say it is  i havent been let down by any rev yet

Vented Sonic is one absolutely sweet kite.  I bought one this passed winter and had a chance to fly it in 25-30 mph winds in January with a friend who was also flying a Sonic Vented.  The control with this high performance kite is amazing.  It's quick, but also controllable -- a feeling that I don't always have with my unvented SS.  

If you have a chance to fly in high winds, this is clearly the kite.

I also have a vented 1.5, and like it in high winds when I am in a more "docile" mood.  I know some folks really like the Rev I vented, flying it with 2-wrap sticks in lighter winds.  If I can save up a little more money, I think I'd like to get one.  The reports I hear on that combination (Rev I vented/2-wrap sticks) make me envious!

Later, Doug

it should be here soon today would be the day to try it out the winds are 26+  we have a storm moveing therugh here and the winds are hard at the time im getting into the windy season so the vented kites are going to be great for me no more sitting home when the winds are to high i hope the vss is what they say it is  i havent been let down by any rev yet
The vented ss that Monkey flew was mine and I really love that kite, so you know I got that kite before I worked at Rev. I have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of that kite and it axels real flat for me as a bonus so enjoy my friend and keep me up to date..........Ben 8)

Hi guys, I'm a complete newbie and am awaiting delivery on my 1st. REV the 1.5SLE, which should be here in a couple of days. (After much debate as to which REV to choose for my 1st.)

I am already looking to get a vented REV however undecided to go for the 1.5 or 1. (I don't plan to stack so that's not a good enough reason to choose the 1.5 vented)

My only concern is the minimum wind requirements. (I am aware some of the experienced flyers have flown both vented versions with 2 wrap rods in 8mph winds.

The winds here in Toronto are pretty mild in the summer between 5 and 15 mph. In the winter the winds pick up a little between 8 mph and 20mph.

Next question: Does one use a stronger lineset on the REV 1?

Thanking you in advance

PS How are you enjoying your new REV 1 vented?

My 1.5 SLE arrived last week, however I have been down with a cold since then and have had little opportunity to fly.

The short time that I did, I had loads od fun, however found flying a lot more difficult than I had anticipated. I'm definitely going to have to put in a good 4 to 6 hours a week practicing the basics. On my 1st test flight I managed to accomplish a few "hovers", "horizintal flight", "Reverse flight" a 360 spin and a not very pretty dive stop.

Inbetween I had a few unplanned landings.

By the end of the 2 hours or so, I was drained from all the concentration.

Watching the pros flying these kites makes it look deceptively easy.

A safe way to practice your dive stop (without smashing the kite into the ground) is to practice it flying side to side.  Take the kite to the edge of the window, flip it around and shoot it across the window towards the other side.  Try to snap the brake lines and stop the kite in mid flight without any wobble.  Once stopped, start it out again and do it some more.  This simple practice helps engage the brain into pulling the brake lines to stop so when you do start shooting it towards the ground, the brain is already trained to pull the lines without having to think which way and how hard.

Also, do your dive stops about 5-8 feet off of the ground for starters.  Pick a point in the distance like the roofline of a far away house or a fence, wall, etc... just to get a fixed spot to stop to and try stopping the kite at that line.  Once you get that perfected you can then start moving the kite closer and closer to the ground.

Dive stops are probably the most amazing thing for non-flyers to see performed.  Especially when they are done just a fraction off of the ground with zero wobble.  I think it is fun when they think you are going to smash your kite and it screeches to a halt in mid air.  Really catches their attention.

Thanks for all the good advice Kent, it's much appreciated.

I will certainly practice my dive stops on the horizontal plain, it makes sense. I must admit my problem wasn't the disorientaion at all. The problem I had was keeping the kite stable after the dive stop. Although I have tried a few hovers in different parts of the window, keeping the kite dead still, is one of the basic skills I still need to master.(It's not as easy as the pro's make it look)

That been said, I am very determined and will put in the time and practice to master the basic skills needed to fly these amazing kites proficiently.

Next month I intend to purchase my next REV, which I think is going to be a vented REV 1. I think the vented REV 1 will be a better option than the vented 1.5 (for me)as it will have a slightly lower minimum wind range and also be a little more stable.

That been said, I will probably land up with vented 1.5 in my kite bag at some point anyway  ;)

Just another small tip for the dive stop.  Don't  try a fly it at maximum speed to start with.  Generally in the team we have found that this type of move looks better if you fly it a little slower.  The main reason for this seems to be that the straight line flight is more accuracte.  So try all of the tips you have already had but try them medium pace to start with.  You will soon get the hang of that and be able to up the speed.  If the control goes again (it probably will to start with)  slow back down and try again.  If you really have problems try to practice fast flying whilst being a precise as you can.  

Have fun and be sure to let us all know how you get on.

:D

On speed and control, I have found that the more you move your feet, the better your speed and control are.  Stepping forward in a dive stop will slow the kite down considerably without having to apply brake on the dive.  This makes it more controllable when you do snap your brakes to make the stop as you will get use to snapping the brakes the same each time.  Stepping back during the dive will speed up the kite.  This same technique also works for hovers.  Moving forward will make the kite drop during a hover, moving backwards makes the kite rise....easy way to do reverse flight!!!  Hover the kite and step backwards, keeping your hands locked.

Move around a lot, it really helps.

• 3 weeks later...

I am happy to report (thanks to everyones good advice) after some pratice I have managed to perform the dive stop in any direction with pretty good precision and speed and with little or no wobble. (Still some wobble at times with the vertical and diagonal dive stop)

I still need to practice a lot more on my inverted hover and all aspects of inverted and backward flight, which should correct this in time.

I can't wait to get the advanced DVD, which will be arriving with my vented 1.5 in the next couple of weeks.

I will keep you posted on my progress  :D

nice to hear striker2 the dive stop is my favorte move and i like to hover the kite upside down after a dive stop inches from the ground or water it amazes me every time i do it its almost like their is no gravity for that  moment