Team Basics

Baloo

Rich,

Don't get me wrong, I am not discouraged, only more aware of the different challenges of sharing the airspace. Both Barb & I had a great time, and i really appreciated the opportunity to try out team flying. (Wait til you see some of the video we shot, we sure laughed alot. :kid_smartass: ) I can't wait for the 24th, and in the meantime I hope we get out to our local site to practice some of the lessons from Saturday. I hope to try again soon, especially one-on-one to get some comfort level with the dynamics.

Thanks for the encouragement; as a beginner that is very helpful.

Wayne,

Don't sell yourself short. You did an excellent job, way better than you gave yourself credit for.

The idea of braking on the way down is important so that you don't overcorrect on the way back up.

Like Jeff said, spacing (no, not that kind of spacing!) in line is the key to a good looking follow. Much different than doing it on your own.

With respect to the other kites, pay attention to the kite immediately in front of you, taking a pause and then turning where they turn. I had the problem of being to anxious and would start my turns at the same time, causing me to turn under them, thus having to overcorrect. It has a tendency to screw up the others behind you as they are in turn using you as their reference.

The sense of panic is urgent if you're not comfortable in line. Trust of your fellow fliers is key. Everyone's been there and the longer you do it the easier it becomes to know how to bail out when there is a problem up or down the line. It all comes back to braking because the ability to slow down or stop in line quickly is key.

Get out there with Barb and go through it. See ya on the 24th for massive team fly with Brian at LSP!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wayne,

You did great! It's sooooooo much fun.

If I may, here's a suggestion for a drill that might help anyone "tighten the lines" that they are trying to follow.

First, to give some perspective here: When you are flying alone, there's no obvious way to judge how tightly you are following a given pattern as the window you are looking at is so large, so you can't really judge how "in line" you really are.

So, try following the outline of whatever you see out past where you are flying. If it's a tree, try to follow the outline of it. If you can, do a figure eight using the tree top as half of the figure eight. If you see a building of some sort, try to follow the outline. You can turn on an arc around any corners. If the building is large enough, do the figure eight inside of the edges. You will be real surprised to see what kind of control you need and how much skill you will gain while doing these drills.

After you get comfortable with that and can smoothly do complete figures at the same speed all the way through, try going slower, riding the breaks more. The opposite is true, too. Go faster, keeping control all of the way through.

I can promise you that this will help greatly for team flying.

One other thing. Concentrate on your kite and what it's doing. It is easy to "zone out" and not pay attention. It doesn't take long to wipe out when that happens. I am only sharing from my own experiences, which I'm positive, has happened to everyone at one time or another.

Have fun, always.

I am going to go to Dunstable Downs on Sunday 15th if the weather is good and hope I might get to see other revs in action

I'll be there too anytime from about 12:00 onwards. Do you know The Downs well? Us Rev flyers usually gather behind and to the left of the Visitor Centre as there tends to be less passing traffic to stroll through the lines there. It may be a bit quiet on the Rev front though as I believe the Rev "creme de la creme" are practicing else where this w/e, there should be 3 or 4 of us there though and it's always good to see a new face. If your 120's haven't arrived arrived I think I my be able to find a set you can borrow for the afternoon. See you Sunday.

I'll be there too anytime from about 12:00 onwards. Do you know The Downs well? Us Rev flyers usually gather behind and to the left of the Visitor Centre as there tends to be less passing traffic to stroll through the lines there. It may be a bit quiet on the Rev front though as I believe the Rev "creme de la creme" are practicing else where this w/e, there should be 3 or 4 of us there though and it's always good to see a new face. If your 120's haven't arrived arrived I think I my be able to find a set you can borrow for the afternoon. See you Sunday.

"creme de la creme" lol I like that