Team Basics

Baloo

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a file with some Team Basics in it please. I dont mean the Team Manual, they were some basic moves that could be practiced to help with team flying.

I think it was JB that pointed the way to it for me B4 on the Kitelife site, cant seem to find it now.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks,

Chris.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a file with some Team Basics in it please. I dont mean the Team Manual, they were some basic moves that could be practiced to help with team flying.

I think it was JB that pointed the way to it for me B4 on the Kitelife site, cant seem to find it now.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks,

Chris.

Chris, email me with your specific needs and I will see what i can do. Other than that, I would suggest that you have a look on Kitelife. The stuff on dual line team flying also makes a lot of sense for revs.

Hi Stephen, I have done a couple of searches on the Kitelife forum. I am fairly sure it was a "page" maybe on the Kitlife site which set out various moves which could be practiced to help someone get the basics for Team flying if they had no one to fly with.

It was mentioned more than once and I found it OK then.

I will keep looking, if I have no luck will mail you.

Thanks.

Yep a team of One. Not flown with another Rev head since Dunstable.

Just wanted to find the info so I could practice the basic moves just in case.

Been out again today. Only a couple of hours flying though.

I am clearly no expert on the matter, for a one week old flyer.

Having said that, learning the basics is obviously important.

Also being aware of other flyer's styles is important (IMHO).

I don't know how to do all the moves yet, but am able to just follow my co-pilot's freestyle moves, which is fun and also less frustrating than jumping into doing the team manoevers/patterns/hovers etc

I've really pushed myself this week and have tried to do kissing and stuff but have yet to understand what the heck goes on when the lines cross - that *really* freaked us out. One kite is literally pulling the other kite out of the sky or pushing the other kite upwards (depending on what is happening).

Any tips for when the lines meet/wrap up ?

I've really pushed myself this week and have tried to do kissing and stuff but have yet to understand what the heck goes on when the lines cross - that *really* freaked us out. One kite is literally pulling the other kite out of the sky or pushing the other kite upwards (depending on what is happening).

Any tips for when the lines meet/wrap up ?

It's great to hear that you have both been flying together. Revs are the best kite for informal "team" flying as you can chat and stop when things don't go quite according to plan.

The most important thing when lines wrap is DON'T PANIC. Things may go a little strange for a while and you may need to increase you control input to compensate for the extra presure but that's about it. In the first instance try figures that are side by side, once you get used to keeping your kites the same speed, you can move onto following or wrap figures.

If you want some thing to try have a go at the STACK pairs figures. Whilst some of them are a little fiendish, most are achievable with a little practice. See the team manual on this forum for other ideas or better still, come up with some moves of your own.

Keep up the good work.

Stephen

The most important thing when lines wrap is DON'T PANIC. Things may go a little strange for a while and you may need to increase you control input to compensate for the extra presure but that's about it. In the first instance try figures that are side by side, once you get used to keeping your kites the same speed, you can move onto following or wrap figures.

Thanks Stephen, for your encouragement and inspiration. ^_^

You do realise all this kite hobby malarky is all your fault (the Rev bit anyway) ;)

We've only had a 2nd kite just over a week now, so couldn't fly together before.

The SLE was not easy for me to learn on, so I only clocked up about 15 minutes on it in a year.

You tuning the lines for us last August helped with the launch.

But other factors meant I didn't get enough flying time in, and so I never understood the how or the feel of flying.

We kind of worked out the bit about compensating for the extra pressure on the second wrap up.

It sure feels strange, as you say.

We will look into the STACK info, cheers.

Baloo> I saw a great article recently like you about the team basic moves etc.

I can't seem to find it at the moment either but when I have located the link I'll post it here.

I really added to this discussion because I wanted to let you know, it is good to learn to fly near others, even if you can't do all the fancy hovers and moves yet. It really does help with the altitude of hovers and speed of bursts etc.

We had quite a crowd watching us yesterday so hopefully this will help with my shyness too.

P.S. I used to be a rigid flyer (dual line - not very good) and now I think I am moving around too much (?)!

P.P.S. We can't wait to beable to fly with balanced/same kites: the SLE is twitchy but performs wing landings better.

IMHO Unlikely. Maybe you are moving incorrectly, but Mr Ellison was quite clear with me that most rev flyers move far too little, and in my experience since this little nugget he is correct.

I know I need some pointers with the position like the 'archery' stance for intance.

I seem to move with my whole self, mostly during freestyle.

It was interesting to try and run circles round each other, over and under: no idea what the kites where doing as I was looking where I was going (at least they stayed in the sky). :huh::)

hi Baloo.

what you want to practice is the hover, then try flying from the left hand side of the window at the bottom,to the right hand side top of window in reverse, making a diagonal line.

this how you get into the ball position.

are hard move depending where you get put in the ball position.

that should keep you busy for a while.

all the best steve.

A simple way to practice tram flying - wrap a piece of sticky tape round your lines about half way between you and the kite. Then try and own the hover!

Chris, when you have got a grip of this here TRAM flying let us know how it works out, aint seen that before.

Yeh alright, flying like you are on rails etc.

If you dont get to fly with other folk much try shoving some single line stuff up and mess with that, it helped me with more precise hovering and the distance thing, and you can even get to practice more line untangling if you are unlucky.

We get to play around like this a fair bit and have not cut any lines.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/flyincam/Hol...key=QF2YV81nohU

If you dont get to fly with other folk much try shoving some single line stuff up and mess with that.

Neat pictures, cleverly colour coordinated too :)

This looks like fun. We didn't think of doing that.

And haven't ever seen anyone else doing this.

We shall try it someday.

We must remember to bring the big thick line with us (always seem to forget to bring line). :blink::rolleyes:

Had'nt even noticed the tram thing Jeremy. In fact I was wondering what Bruce was on about.

Go's to show how we scan words instead of reading them.

The phenomenal power of the human mind

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg

The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid! Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh, and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt.

NOTE: I read this somewhere and I just had to pass it around. I do not know the origins of the text.

You missed a full stop (A.K.A. period) there Bob, right at the end just after the word text. Otherwise your post seems fine to me.

Okay, (comma) edit done. (full stop capital letter) Have you any idea how long it took me to extract that from a Powerpoint presentation (questionmark)?