B series and SUL

sailor99

Question

Does anyone know if there is a difference in weight between a b-series and an SUL, assuming both have the 2 wrap frame of course? I believe I am right in saying that the SUL has lighter fabric and an extra light bridle, in which case it may be lighter. But I am not sure?

Confirmation one way or the other would be gratefully received.

11 answers to this question

Does anyone know if there is a difference in weight between a b-series and an SUL, assuming both have the 2 wrap frame of course? I believe I am right in saying that the SUL has lighter fabric and an extra light bridle, in which case it may be lighter. But I am not sure?

Confirmation one way or the other would be gratefully received.

And the SUL has a ripstop leading edge

Hi Jeremy.

as the big man said.

i would not worry to much on the bridle, on my home made sul i have a standard bridle.

i dont think a few grams will make that much difference.

mine is exactly the same weight as the rev s.u.l. it has a standard bridle and sparded in p 100.

it flys a treat, ask the big man (big bri) he has flown it.

all the best steve.

Both my SULs had .6 oz Polyester sails, the same as my Standards.

The only difference was the leading edge for the SUL was of 1.5 oz Nylon, as opposed to the 3.9 oz Dacron used in the Standards and the bridles were made of Spectra, while the Standards used a heavier bridle material.

I found the SUL's bridles a nuisance, to tell you the truth, as their smaller diameter and lack of stiffness allowed it to get caught much more easily in snag points on the sail & frame.

If you compared just the sails and bridles, the SUL would weigh slightly less than a B-Series.

I doubt if it would make much real world difference in its flight, except the SUL would probably be a tad easier to fly in the very lowest winds or Indoors.

I found the SUL's bridles a nuisance, to tell you the truth, as their smaller diameter and lack of stiffness allowed it to get caught much more easily in snag points on the sail & frame.

Me too and there is also the added problem of the knots being very prone to slipping if the wind picks up a bit.

Having said that, it's my favorite kite, in the right conditions with a Race Frame and a nice summers day with the sun on my back and barely enough wind to feel on your face, heaven. :wub:

And when the sun's gone down. :big_beer: