KEWLEST REV HANDLES

big bri

I missed these by a dogs nudger on gwtw.They went to a good guy so dont mind so much.Since ive seen them,,,,I NEED A PAIR,,,, :sign_kitelife: .I think ther well Handsome

Ther 17inch Titanium and i loveum.Anyone got any and want to letum go.Anyone any ideas on makeing some,

WHADA YA THINK

BRIAN...

post-1680-1204311447_thumb.jpg post-1680-1204311487_thumb.jpg

It looks to me that the foam grips are lower on the shafts than a Rev handle. I wonder if they'd feel/perform differently like that?

I too was a bit concerned about merely larksheading the pigtails to the indents on the handles.

My Titanium handles aren't nearly as kewl looking, but they function well. They are a lot lighter than they look- the pair of them weighs 5.7 oz.

post-1987-1204322526_thumb.jpg

Im on with sourceing the materials and thinking about drilling a hole that could retain a bush in it to stop wear on the pigtails i would fit near the ends.

Titanium is a fortune here to buy,but Brass[may b 2 heavy],Stainleass steel[again heavy but nice]and Aluminium[is it strong enough].Ive sent the details to a fitter/setter[lathe type person]and hes speaking to me Monday.

Anyone got any CRIPTONITE..... :lol:

BRIAN...

It looks to me that the foam grips are lower on the shafts than a Rev handle. I wonder if they'd feel/perform differently like that?

I too was a bit concerned about merely larksheading the pigtails to the indents on the handles.

My Titanium handles aren't nearly as kewl looking, but they function well. They are a lot lighter than they look- the pair of them weighs 5.7 oz.

post-1987-1204322526_thumb.jpg

Nice Steve B,did ya makeum yourself mate.If so.Any tips or do and dont do ideas.

BRIAN

I think the handles in the first post look realy good. I would LOVE a set. However as has been mentioned B4 the foam grips look lower. Pigtails would Larkshead onto the ends nicely. There would possibly be slightly more wear than with the normal Rev handles but I would think you would get a long time B4 wear would be a problem.

The second set look well good too.

As for the is Aluminium strong enough, not sure. Alden made those neat wooden ones and I was worried they would not be strong enough, they seem to be OK.

What are standard Rev handles made out of? I have quite a few sets hee and none of the handle parts have rusted. I suspect they may be stainless? Not sure.

Anyway that is my two pennieworth. (for what it is worth)

What are standard Rev handles made out of?

Rev handles are made of stainless steel. Titanium has the advantage of being a lot lighter, though it's far more expensive.

Even though my Ti handles are 17" across the gap, they are featherlight.

I made a set out of stainless that are 15" across the gap and they weigh 10.5 oz for the pair; nearly double for the smaller handles.

Im on with sourceing the materials and thinking about drilling a hole that could retain a bush in it to stop wear on the pigtails i would fit near the ends.

Titanium is a fortune here to buy,but Brass[may b 2 heavy],Stainleass steel[again heavy but nice]and Aluminium[is it strong enough].Ive sent the details to a fitter/setter[lathe type person]and hes speaking to me Monday.

BRIAN...

They are very nice :P I have made some from Ally tube from Homebase there fine, the biggest prob is the grips. I did manage to get some hyperlon (fishing rod grip) which was great just wish i could get some more. :rolleyes:

I think the handles in the first post look realy good. I would LOVE a set. However as has been mentioned B4 the foam grips look lower. Pigtails would Larkshead onto the ends nicely. There would possibly be slightly more wear than with the normal Rev handles but I would think you would get a long time B4 wear would be a problem.

Why would there be more wear ???? just how do you think the pig tails are connected to Rev handles ??............a Larks head

Ive managed to get a supplier of 'T'as its known in the trade[titanium]and a freind is haveing a look at the angle[bend]they need to be [17degrees im told].He is a turner fitter and setter or if ya want it in new money.He can work a laithe.

The foam, my mate steve has a man who can[12mm bore]So The 'T'will be 12.3 and grade 5.This will make it a real tight fit.Along with a smear of resin inside.They should be just as the ones on the picky ive posted.

Titanium is about £10 a foot.

I personally cant see any issues with the pigtails and wear.Just larkshead the tails in the notch and jobs a goodn.Thick ish bridle line is not exspensive anyways.

When i first looked at them.I thought the grip needed to be a little up toward the short end more.

ANY THOUGHT ANYONE

If ther good enough for Lee Sedgewick,theyl do fa me.

BRIAN...

I also use thin wall aluminium tube (B&Q), 12mm od, no problem with that, I have used my handles on all sorts of quads including being towed around behind a 3mtr Nasa Parawing, and they survived Dunstable ok .... so bullet proof really. :lol:

Mine sure ain't the "kewlest" around but the shape and lengths works for me, since the pic was taken they have been fitted with top plugs turned from nylon 66 for the thumbs to work against.

Twisted larkheads will hold perfectly ok and wear just dont figure, the top set has had some serious abuse and still has the original leaders.

The grips are Duplon, Gary, try googling Hopkins Holloway, Wayland rod grips, its where mine came from.

post-559-1204403357_thumb.jpg

Bri, we were posting at the same time, try the Google above the Duplon is very good value and with bores from 10mm upwards, I used a 330mm (12") length X 25mm od cut in half for the top set

Antman, you can never resist a chance to show off those neat black gold handles!!

Gary, my comment about possibly more wear was sort of in response to a post above mine. I dont see it as a problem.

Bri £10 a foot seems not bad. I hope the price compares to a set of Rev ones bought in UK. Let us know how you get on please.

I think they look well neat and would LOVE some. Think I would want the foam to be more "Rev" positioned if that makes sense.

Your handles are neat too Harrier. Like the way you have tried differing grips. Good to know Ali is strong enough.

Hi Bruce,thats the same place ive sourced the foam for this whim im on with.Thanks for the advice and pickys mate.

Chris,if i get it looking something like a good job.I will let ya know.Ive had a few people ask about them and will see what the end cost and stuff runs at.The price for the Titanium was a rough guide,but its ther abouts.

WE SHALL SEE

Night,night fellas

BRIAN...

BRIAN...

Aluminium works fine a have a set I made from aluminium tube it’s light and strong admittedly I only use them in very light conditions now as they are a little longer than what is now the std Rev handle, But when I first made the I used in all sorts of conditions without breaking them.

As for attaching pigtails I have used a similar method to that intended for the titanium ones at the top of this thread on my aluminium handles and have modified my favourite Rev handles by removing the triangular clips and attaching the pigtails the same way.

Making handles described here.

And

Attaching the pigtails here

here's a shot of my titanium handles, 17 inches across the gap, grade five tubes, custom grips from Glenn Haynes. I made a gradual curve using a pipe bender, mostly towards the top of the handles. These are very light weight and comfortable.

Oh, almost forgot,.... I'm teaching Ian Willoughby, he was 5 or 6 in the photo. He's at least nine now and he's teaching me about all thing kiting things I should have learned already, Dare I add?, It's very tough to beat "cute" in competitions!!!

post-92-1204542745_thumb.jpg

ME 2.I got a set from John a while ago.I used them a couple of times and passed them on to a freind who found them very easy to use and improved his confidence when setting up his lines

.Mr J.R sent me them for free....TOPMAN indeed.I passd them on for Free to my freind Paul.

What goes around.........

BRIAN...