stryker2

Question

• Answers 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

just curious , if i where to get a white rev how would one fair for light airbrushing? not a big detailed job but a simple stencil overlay? any input would be great.

mike

That would be for Bazzer to answer I would think... he does a lot of paint work on his designs.... Something I would like to try sometime.

That would be for Bazzer to answer I would think... he does a lot of paint work on his designs.... Something I would like to try sometime.

i would certainly like to hear the results from the pros, as far as wieght gain go, airbrush is sooo light tho. i havent even got my first rev yet and im already thinking of a custom.. :blink: haha

mike

just curious , if i where to get a white rev how would one fair for light airbrushing? not a big detailed job but a simple stencil overlay? any input would be great.

mike

As I understand it, it is not that easy to airbrush spinnaker polyester which is the sail material use on rev kites today. I hear the that you have to prepare the material properly, you need a special paint and it is all very critical to humidity and temperature.

For details you would have to contact one of the masters. One real master is Barry "Bazzer" Poulter.

There is another process which involves a dyeing process which the Gonzales brothers of Valencia Spain use. I have seen photos that they have imprinted into spinnaker polyester. The closer you get to the imprint the better it looks. This is surely quite expensive as I know their machine to do this cost them close to 100,000 Euros (about $130.000) today.

mike

I was informed by a kite and banner maker that Design Master (floral) spray paints may be used to paint rip stock nylon and/or poly.

Link: http://www.dmcolor.com/learn/FAQs.php

It may also be layered (ie: yellow over blue to achieve green) as it is translucent and acts as a stained glass effect. Therefore by using a few primary colors you can achieve many colors by layering. I saw several banners done with this product and they were neat pieces of crafty art! They are light weight paints and do not add much weight nor do they crack and peal as other paints do.

As I understand it, it is not that easy to airbrush spinnaker polyester which is the sail material use on rev kites today. I hear the that you have to prepare the material properly, you need a special paint and it is all very critical to humidity and temperature.

For details you would have to contact one of the masters. One real master is Barry "Bazzer" Poulter.

There is another process which involves a dyeing process which the Gonzales brothers of Valencia Spain use. I have seen photos that they have imprinted into spinnaker polyester. The closer you get to the imprint the better it looks. This is surely quite expensive as I know their machine to do this cost them close to 100,000 Euros (about $130.000) today.

Here's a little appetite wetter unfortunately no pictures but it will give you an idea. The printing process is amazing, easily good enough to print photographs on kites, the logo on the web site is actually printed on the kites, in a similar quality as you see on your screen. Custom work obviously comes at a premium but it is very affordable.

Link: http://bai.esste.com

BTW. The butterflies are also great fun, highly recommended. I keep one in my bag for the no-wind days, I believe about £40 (off the peg that is).

hi all.

if you wat to build a one off rev like 4 line kite thing.

there was a guy in the u.s.a who tye dyes ripstop nylon.

he can be found on that forum where they talk about building kite.

i have some of the material, and my wife will start the constuction of said item as soon as (i hope).

all the best steve.

paint master work well and doesn't add THAT much weight ,I been pretty impress with it and holds up well to the elements in fact holds the color better than the actual factory fabric dyes from the many test samples I set outside......

it will crack if you crease/sharp fold the fabric ... roll up the finished material storing it away

occasional contact with surface like sand or contact with other items like custom rev kite bags doesn't seem to be to much a factor, then again I haven't pushed how much or how far it will take before it starts to damage the design

quote;

critical to humidity and temperature.

Thats about the only item I'm dealing with, it's not a huge factor but being in the body shop biz for a long time, laying down the paint is alot different on fabric.

OH!

make sure you paint in a WELL ventilated area and wear a mask............ the one time I thought I was OK to spray .....dang! I mean DANG!!!! :blink:

use light applications from cans........... airbrush should have better control

Some of Scott Hampton work http://picasaweb.google.com/mshampton2

very neat. i suppose ill hold off on doign any of this at this point, i wasnt hoping to do anything fancy just a sun rise pattern haha, or ghost rider flaming skull.. hahah.. yep i would do that :bones: or a pirate flag rev.. ohhh i am surprized the paint wont just soak in and act like a dye, even with a airbrush tho this sail cloth is made to not absorb moisture. will see

mike

sewing is the best bet, some skills involved like anything else{i'm still learning} but the design will last longer

here I use some fabric spray to achieve the two tone color on the flames and stitched up the rest

2537353700072413283S425x425Q85.jpg

I still want to get more involved with the panting aspect of fabric to high light and shadow images

stabilo pencils from art stores....

but to transfer an image to fabric ,I first was using a opaque projector that mirrors the image via photograph .. I always had a problem drawing LARGE images so this made it nice... now my son lets me use his HD diggy projector that plugs in a lap-top for sharp detail and as large as a house if you wanted + it stores my projects and can play around with the images crop ,color ect ......

the flaming skull FLAMES was free hand.............. but I'm getting much better sketching larger images from what I been use to

I alway told my wife when I spent x amount on this kite or that kite, time this many times " you know I could do this"

so she got me a sewing machine and said you got the talking part done and that was all it took ...... that and ALL the masterpiece revs were 1.5s

so I got er done!

dive in and just have fun at it ....... like kites FUN!!!! the more you get behind the sewing machine the better you get at it.......

well, i found an old ripped up ripstop nylon foil i had stashed away , so i have my airbrush friend going to lay down some simple tikki stenicls to try a few differnt fabric paints. i dont know how much differnt nylon will be from the poly but its worth a try to see how it looks. stay tuned!

mike

neat, i still dont see how light wieght airbrush fabric paint wouldnt work? i may have to test some piants..

mike

In one of my early attempts at trying to airbrush a single liner, I had all the paint melt off after it had dried. I'd like to try out these design master paints now. That kite was not salvageable.

neat, i still dont see how light wieght airbrush fabric paint wouldnt work? i may have to test some piants..

mike

It is not as straight forward as you might think!

I know some of the main issues are:

- getting the paint to stick to the material

- rubbing off

- flaking

- cracking

- melting as aerochick mentioned,

- etc.

The problem seems to have a lot to do with the coating used on the nylon and polyester. What is the coating material? Is it on both sides or one side.

Basically, you have to choose a material, find out it's characteristics and then find the proper paint to use with that specific material.

Then as Bazzer mention in a past message you have temperature and humidity issues to consider.

I wouldn't doubt there are more issues involved.

thanks again all, Ben i know your deep inthe fight with ebay so ill send a message soon regaurds to my questions. this is why i am testing this idea on a dead kite haha. my airbrush friend has told me about many ways paints at with fabrics and how differnt paints work for differnt things. ill see how the test goes he should be painting tonight, i will get pics and what kinda piant he uses.

mike

stabilo pencils from art stores....

but to transfer an image to fabric ,I first was using a opaque projector that mirrors the image via photograph .. I always had a problem drawing LARGE images so this made it nice... now my son lets me use his HD diggy projector that plugs in a lap-top for sharp detail and as large as a house if you wanted + it stores my projects and can play around with the images crop ,color ect ......

the flaming skull FLAMES was free hand.............. but I'm getting much better sketching larger images from what I been use to

I alway told my wife when I spent x amount on this kite or that kite, time this many times " you know I could do this"

so she got me a sewing machine and said you got the talking part done and that was all it took ...... that and ALL the masterpiece revs were 1.5s

so I got er done!

dive in and just have fun at it ....... like kites FUN!!!! the more you get behind the sewing machine the better you get at it.......

Cool, thanks! Stabilo is what I'll be looking for. An opaque projector is on my wish list. I've used them before for Stained Glass.

-Alden

well got the test shots back on the old chute airbrush tests, the touble we ran into was the air blasting the the kite away from the stencil, so some practice wil be needed. but the paint sticks fine so far. i may need to test arcival ink that i use for my graphic art, i have pens at.005 size, so detailing could be fun.. ill let ya know.

mike

well got the test shots back on the old chute airbrush tests, the touble we ran into was the air blasting the the kite away from the stencil, so some practice wil be needed. but the paint sticks fine so far. i may need to test arcival ink that i use for my graphic art, i have pens at.005 size, so detailing could be fun.. ill let ya know.

mike

Viper

U could shoot the stencil with some 505 spray glue on the back side .

stick it ..........then spray it bada-bing bada-boom

Try to stay away from the 3M spray glue waaaaaaaay to tacky to clean up afterwards......... you'll be cursing trying to removing the stencil

w/505 .... your stencil will come right up w/ little effort + clean up with mild soap and water

heck yea lets see it! the 505 idea is neat. the only reason i was using stencil this time was to test the edges ,, on flat kite surface it woul dbe much better. i just tryed my archvival pen, so far it stays, tho it says water proof on the pen i would still be cautious, but the desing runnign in my head now ohhhhhhh this could be fun!

mike