Which Rev to choose?

stryker2

I'm looking to purchase my 1st. Rev, however not sure which one to buy.  I'm looking at either the EXP, 1.5 SLE, or REV 1.

Although I have a quad line 2.2m traction kite, I'm still somewhat of a beginner. I just love how the Revs fly and all the tricks they are exclusively capable of and want one. :)

The EXP seems like a really good deal.  What are your thoughts?

I typically fly at the "beach" here in Toronto Canada where the winds are pretty mild for the most part around 5 to 15mph in the summer.

Steve

PS I'm sure whatever REV I land up with, I will love it.

PPS How "small" do these "puppies" pack up?

Welcome to the forum!

I noticed you also started posting on the GWTW forum, so I guess you are getting serious about kiting :D

The EXP is a good deal and it will do all the Rev tricks. The only caveat is to get good line with it. Sometimes it is packaged with stretchy line which wont do you any good.

If you think you will be flying Revs for a long time, you may want to start with the SLE. It costs more but has a greater wind range and is made with somewhat better materials.

The moderators on this forum are fans of the Rev 1, but I'm not. It pulls a bit too much for my taste. Here in the U.S. Midwest at least, the 1.5 is much more common.

All three of these kites can handle 15 mph no problem. A beginner will have some problems with 5 mph. An SUL would make it much easier in low winds.

A very nice package would be to get a Rev SLE and a set of SUL leading edge spars. In light winds you could swap the SUL spars into the SLE. And you would have a great wind range and a great kite.

Welcome to the forum!

The moderators on this forum are fans of the Rev 1, but I'm not. It pulls a bit too much for my taste. Here in the U.S. Midwest at least, the 1.5 is much more common.

Guilty as charged, -however- I think both John and I have competed on nothing but 1.5s this spring with only one or two exceptions. Usually, if I find a 1 is beginning to pull a lot, I'll switch down to a 1.5.

I was going to answer this post yesterday however the best answer I could come up with is, get them all...But, Mike's points are right on the money.   :D

Steve,

I have to agree with Mike that any of the 3 will handle the wind range you have. Also if you can swing the cost difference go with the 1.5 instead of the EXP.

I differ a little from Mike in that I am also a fan of the Rev I first and the 1.5 second.

Both are great kites and will give years of quality flying. Both would be good with a SLE for your stronger wind days and a 2 wrap frame for those lighter days.

The 1.5 is the quicker of the two both in straight line flight and turns. The 1 is the more stable and precise of the two.

I have not found the pull of the 1 to be an issue up in the 15 mph range.

If you really want smoothness, stability and precision, consider a vented model in either (or both). You will reduce pull, increase your upper wind range and with a 2 wrap frame you can almost get down to the same lower wind range.

Both kites break down and pack in their sleeves, just under 3' long and about 2" in diameter for the 1.5 and slightly more 2 1/2" +/- for the Rev I.

Hook up with someone local who flys Revs and you will shorten your learning curve.

Let us know what you get and how you are doing.

Thanks for the advice guys. Knowing me, even though I do have somewhat of a tight budget, I will land up with a few Revs in my kite bag by Christmas.

Technically I already have a Rev 1.5 which I inherited through unforseen circumstances, however just can't bring myself to fly it, and probably never will.

I will keep you posted on my purchase/s  :D

Steve

The vented Rev is a favorite of mine and I fly it often.

And I often fly a vented kite with light spars in light winds, however....

Most beginners that I've shown how to fly spend most of the day backing up (to generate more wind) until they wind up in the street! What I mean to say is, that most (not all) beginners need more wind and would have a very hard time flying the vented in light winds.

however...

Learning to fly in 15 mph winds would be easier with a vented since it slows things down.

Back to my original suggestion of the SLE + SUL spars. If you  later added a vented kite, you could swap those SUL spars into it and fly the vented in light winds too (that's what I do)

Of course, eventually you'll want a true SUL which is really sweet.

But then with the SUL, SLE and Vented your are set!  :shock:

Except of course, the Rev II is blast to fly in high winds. The thing is a speed demon without the pull of the speed series kites.

But then flic-flacs with the Supersonic are a lot of fun...

Welcome to the Dark Side! :twisted:

True, True...

Just as each flyer has his or her own special personality, and quirks; each Rev does also.

Again, check for local Rev flyers for tips and advice . They may even let you try one of theirs.

You may as well prepare yourself, Once you are hooked you will end up flying them all and owning as many as possible.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I finally took the plunge and decided on the Rev 1.5 SLE.

I ordered the kite last week (Red, White, Black) without mylar panels. (custom order). As the custom work was a little more, I decided to hold back on purchasing an additional UL leading edge set till later.

I should get my kite in approximately 3 weeks, so I will be waiting in anticipation.

In the meantime will be enjoying my other kites.

• 2 weeks later...

So just to clarify, it's the 2 wrap UL leading edge marked "professional use" you recommend to replace the SLE for lighter wind flying up to 8mph max ?

I think I was confused and thought it was the 3 wrap UL frame (same as on the EXP)

Thanks in advance for all your help guys.

I guess the 3 wrap EXP rods would also help in low winds due to it's flexibility.

I'm assuming the 2 wrap leading edge would be considerably lighter and also more fragile than the 3 wrap EXP leading edge.

I've heard quite a few people like to fly the 1.5 with 3 wrap advantage rods as apposed to the SLE.

My custom Rev 1.5 SLE (without mylar panels) should be a few grams lighter.

I guess owning all the rods to play around with would be ideal.

I'm looking to purchase my 1st. Rev, however not sure which one to buy.  I'm looking at either the EXP, 1.5 SLE, or REV 1.

Although I have a quad line 2.2m traction kite, I'm still somewhat of a beginner. I just love how the Revs fly and all the tricks they are exclusively capable of and want one. :)

I typically fly at the "beach" here in Toronto Canada where the winds are pretty mild for the most part around 5 to 15mph in the summer.

Steve  

get the 1.5 sle it will be a great starter kite and when you get better youll have a kite that will fly good for yopu with out haveing to upgrade if you want to save money then the exp is a good starter package as well

SLE to .25 3-wrap (EXP) leading edge saved me a measured 1.6oz and makes a big difference in lighter winds.  (The wing spars are already the same .25 3-wrap.)

I figure 3-wrap to 2-wrap for the whole frame will save about another 1oz, but it will be considerably more fragile I hear.  I'm not sure the 2-wrap would survive well up to 8mph.  What do those with 2-wrap have to say?

--Lee

What I have found myself doing is going with a ul 3 wrap center and pro. use only 2 wrap for the other two spars. It seems to spill the wind better this way for me at least. I have also used a two wrap complete leading edge and have replaced the hollow ferrules with the solids and have found this to my liking also, what must always be remembered is that we all do not all fly alike ask John he hates the way I set up my handles but it works for me.{but your right as far as teaching others John I just go to stock settings} :roll:  Anyway family I will do custom frame sets so dont be afraid to ask its all about alll of you and what you want plus your family so how can I say no......... 8) Ben

• 3 weeks later...

Have decided to order a custom REV 1.5 vented instead of the vented 1 for my next REV. (I will be adding 1's to collection soon)

This time, I am ordering the standard 3 wrap frame instead of the SLE , as I already have a SLE with my newly aquired 1.5

Steve  

REV 1.5 is the best to have as a beginner or pro

well i like all three 1.5s they all are good for anyday you get to get out there and the winds can be questionable haveing all 3 will keep your day from ending early the winds can change here from fast to slow in minutes so haveing the kites is good all around