Mega Vented EXP

big bri

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks Papa Smurf - keep 'em coming

Ok, ok. Since several folks in the UK kept calling me Papa Smurf, I finally got around to looking him up.

He's the only Smurf who wears red colors, which seems appropriate, since I fly the red kite.

Also, wikipedia says:

Papa Smurf (in French, "Le Grand Schtroumpf") is gentle, wise, and knowledgeable. He serves as the Smurfs' leader and as a paternal figure of which the Smurfs usually go to when they require counsel and he is always concerned about the Smurf's wellbeing and harmony. He is very altruistic and always ready to help somebody, whether he is a Smurf or human. Papa Smurf also has diplomatic skills in case they meet humans or other creatures, and usually manages to speak without using the "smurf" word.

Doesn't sound too bad.

Wikipedia also says he's 542 years old, "but is quite energetic for his age."

Hmmmmm

Ok, ok. Since several folks in the UK kept calling me Papa Smurf, I finally got around to looking him up.

He's the only Smurf who wears red colors, which seems appropriate, since I fly the red kite.

Also, wikipedia says:

Papa Smurf (in French, "Le Grand Schtroumpf") is gentle, wise, and knowledgeable. He serves as the Smurfs' leader and as a paternal figure of which the Smurfs usually go to when they require counsel and he is always concerned about the Smurf's wellbeing and harmony. He is very altruistic and always ready to help somebody, whether he is a Smurf or human. Papa Smurf also has diplomatic skills in case they meet humans or other creatures, and usually manages to speak without using the "smurf" word.

Doesn't sound too bad.

Wikipedia also says he's 542 years old, "but is quite energetic for his age."

Hmmmmm

And you thought we were extracting the urine,

It's a perfect fit Mikey.

Oh ! apart from the blue color and the age

Bazzer

post-170-1220491542_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So this is what became of my 11 year old 1.5!

gallery_209_108_28998.jpg

I'll have to wait for some big winds in order to find out whether the hole to fabric ratio is right. The rough calculation is 30% hole as it stands. This is about the same as my 3 strip vented 1.5 so I may need to add more holes later. I'm working on the principle though that a hole should let more wind through than venting.

No doubt it will be Standard weather for quite awhile now ;)

Thanks to Ant for the gas soldering iron recommendation - works well

So this is what became of my 11 year old 1.5!

gallery_209_108_28998.jpg

I'll have to wait for some big winds in order to find out whether the hole to fabric ratio is right. The rough calculation is 30% hole as it stands. This is about the same as my 3 strip vented 1.5 so I may need to add more holes later. I'm working on the principle though that a hole should let more wind through than venting.

No doubt it will be Standard weather for quite awhile now ;)

Thanks to Ant for the gas soldering iron recommendation - works well

Kewl Dave,but i bet ya need more holes mate.

BRIAN...

Looks good David, you’ve clearly taken your time with that one.

I intend to do one some time soon. I have listened to a lot of good advice and have been giving it a lot of thought.

....... I'm working on the principle though that a hole should let more wind through than venting. ........
I’m told larger holes affect handling more than smaller ones but I think maybe, area for area, smaller holes are less effective in reducing pull than larger ones as I suspect that turbulence around the edges of the holes may effectively reduce hole diameter.

I am also considering arranging the holes, based on an equilateral triangle rather than a square as I think it may well disperse stress in the remaining sail more efficiently. Clearly it won't be a problem on your kite as yours has more seams to take the stress than the exp that I have ear marked for the job.

Please let us know how it handles and weather or not you need to get the soldering iron out again, the benefit of any lessons learned would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...
Correct! First flight today in 20+ winds and it has more pull than my triple vent - so back to the cutting table it goes.

As Helen Mirren said in Calendar Girls.."we're going to need considerable bigger buns!"

David,

Try first putting in your stiffest rods, e.g. 4 wrap Revolution Equipped.

It will flatten the sail more thus forcing the air to spill over the sides, thus reducing the pull.

If you already did that, then back to the drawing board.

Correct! First flight today in 20+ winds and it has more pull than my triple vent - so back to the cutting table it goes.

As Helen Mirren said in Calendar Girls.."we're going to need considerable bigger buns!"

just build a "Flic " rev you know you want one lol

David,

Try first putting in your stiffest rods, e.g. 4 wrap Revolution Equipped.

It will flatten the sail more thus forcing the air to spill over the sides, thus reducing the pull.

If you already did that, then back to the drawing board.

Hi John - I was using Skyshark 8P, which is much stiffer than the 4 wrap and my favourite 1/4 inch high wind rod. I think more holes are needed!

Gary - I'm not even going to dignify that remark - they're "girls's kites" ;)

Hi John - I was using Skyshark 8P, which is much stiffer than the 4 wrap and my favourite 1/4 inch high wind rod. I think more holes are needed!

Then it is back to the drawing board.

What do you calculate the wind surface is on your triple vent. Judging by the first one I made, it would have been very roughly 60% and that was a REV I.

There is a guy in Titchfield who has a 100% mesh vented as well. It too flies very well. This was about 6 hours ago ;)

In fact here is Sailor flying it..... cross your heart bra inspired.... all mesh with Kevlar/mylar strapping along load lines .... additional strap along leading edge since this photo was taken....

Fly's really nicely in its range 18 knots + and especially good in reverse!

Did some team flying with it today and has been flown by a few people and so far I think we all like it a lot ....

post-2056-1224452342_thumb.jpg

I'd like to share an experience I had cutting holes in a Rev II a few years back, I did a line of holes across the middle of the kite horizontal just something decorative and to let out a little extra air as they didn't make vented II's.

Well it did what I had expected with a very strange side effect, It flew in much lighter winds as well :confused!:

Now I've been pondering this for some time and I have a theory that the air passing through the holes swirls and does the whole air pressure thing that not only gives extra lift but can make it pull harder at times.

I think (but not sure) the screen in the venting disperses the air differently and actually smooths out the transfer as opposed to just having open holes, great example is the screen in a water faucet the diffusion it causes makes the water aerate and flow lighter and faster I would guess it would do the same for airflow as well.

Probably why those big screen kites fly so well with virtually no sail area.

Figured I'd throw that at you cause it still freaks me out that a kite with all these holes fly's better in less wind.

post-1201-1224463309_thumb.jpg