Mega Vented EXP

big bri

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ever think of doing this to a B-series? maybe get hte precision of a B and the venting of a mega-vented?

Think the B's about as good as it's going to get. Now a Rev 1 would be interesting.

Dean

And no, I'm not going to puncture one of mine to find out.

-man, a super-vented rev I... that would be a great kite for days where you want to be precise but the wind is howling at 30+

-a mega-vented b-series...my thought was if the B-series is a great kite when its vented- if you cut out more venting in the same pattern as the existing ones(IE. vertical venting, adding more vertical vents), would it be as precise as a standard B in a high wind? Curious to see how it would preform.

-I'm surprised Revolution hasnt made a mega vented for you guys and girls over in the UK with the great wind you guys have

How outrageous would it be if we were to experiment with cutting holes on Bluey ?

Bluey is a 8 month old vented B-series.

He's showing signs of wear and tear and general thinness from having newbies fly him and being on the beach getting sand blasted. etc.

Wonder what you all think ?

And as to the design of making holes around his vents ?

Was going to buy a new Bluey anyway to replace him.

I really need a mega vented kite.

How outrageous would it be if we were to experiment with cutting holes on Bluey ?

Bluey is a 8 month old vented B-series.

He's showing signs of wear and tear and general thinness from having newbies fly him and being on the beach getting sand blasted. etc.

Wonder what you all think ?

And as to the design of making holes around his vents ?

Was going to buy a new Bluey anyway to replace him.

I really need a mega vented kite.

If I were to increase the amount of venting of a vented JB, I would favor enlarging horizontally the existing venting, say by 3-5cm on each vent panel.

To do this, you could try sewing the new venting on to the back and then cut out the old venting and polyester panel on the front.

If I were to increase the amount of venting of a vented JB, I would favor enlarging horizontally the existing venting, say by 3-5cm on each vent panel.

To do this, you could try sewing the new venting on to the back and then cut out the old venting and polyester panel on the front.

Or make it a triple vent !!

Perhaps its worth looking at the static wind loadings, at 30mph windspeed the loading is around 6 times more than that created by a 15 mph wind, the loading near doubles from just 15 to 20 mph, small percentage area changes ain't going to help much.

As folk are finding, (during sail wrecking exercises) horizontal series of holes can increase sail efficiency, not quite the desired effect.

One other point, the Rev (with main spar uppermost) is a fairly unique flying device in having the Centre of Gravity forward of the Centre of Pressure, it's why the kite would rather fly inverted, during any panel alterations it is better trying raise the CoP, it makes for a better balance, Jonesey's creation as shown has the CoP too low in the sail, it makes for good inverted and reverse flight but poor balance, trying to make the sail as flat as possible in high wind will help a lot.

Making less and much larger holes would help reduce loadings.

Jonesey's creation as shown has the CoP too low in the sail, it makes for good inverted and reverse flight but poor balance

Which is why we added another strap along the luff and if you look its short on the verticals to shift the CoP forward a little....now its perfectly balanced... but its easy to underestimate how much sail area the mesh actually contributes (+ weight) so it would be good to make a mesh free solution...

That is the thought that I first had, but where could you put it and still have it look good and have the effect you want.

My best vented for really high winds had two really wide vents on each side. That is why I came up with making the vents wider.

you could put them right on the sides of the center panel....or replace the panel and leave the rest the the sail. which would be better?

you could put them right on the sides of the center panel....or replace the panel and leave the rest the the sail. which would be better?

To replace the center panel would be to lose the beautiful Revolution logo. Unless of course you sent it in to have one of the other panels replaced with the logo. Stability is my question. You'd basically be flying two seperate wings. Maybe I'm wrong. Why not just do the triple vent with twice the width of the normal vent. I'm still trying to figure out why you'd be flying a Rev in winds that would neccitate the thought like this. Try heavier line. My B std. with both 2 and 3 wraps in the LE is twitchy and not really how I like to fly in 12 mph winds. I put the 150lb line on and it was like flying in 6 to 7 mph wind. And the wind was actually varying between 13 and 18 mph.

Dean

triple vent with 7-10cm(?) venting with no mesh would do well all the way up to 25 on a 4 wrap; then use an SLE in higher wind. i think the SLE would be overkill maybe... although i have heard of people flying in winds so strong that they have doubled up 2 SLE's.

i think a triple would be the way to go though

• 2 weeks later...

Well here's my latest mega vented, took my old 1.5 vented & set to it with the soldering iron & this was the result 1/2 hour later.

Had its first flight this weekend at Ainsdale beach & it flew really nice, but unfortunately this will be the first & last flight in this condition as later in the day i had a small dis-agreement with a flag pole & the kite took some damage.

Thankfully those there (Big Bri) did not capture my little mishap on film.

Not to worry as I'm sure the damage can be cut out to create more venting.

Dave.

post-212-1225733938_thumb.jpg

Well here's my latest mega vented, took my old 1.5 vented & set to it with the soldering iron & this was the result 1/2 hour later.

Had its first flight this weekend at Ainsdale beach & it flew really nice, but unfortunately this will be the first & last flight in this condition as later in the day i had a small dis-agreement with a flag pole & the kite took some damage.

Dave.

Love the kite Dave, I think you have room for the same number of smaller holes in between all of the big ones!

I would be takin them Okleys back mate.Fancy getting stuck on a pole like that.Could ya not see what was going on,MR MAGOO.

I did feel quite sorry for Dave.He had put alot of effort into the kite and it took 3,7 seconds to distroy it almost.Didnt spoil a fab day though.He left for home some hours later with a smile and a TAN,,,in October

BRIAN...aka, MR MAGOOs,ground crew

Hey Dave

Nice work... but what I find most striking (no pun intended) is the shadow in your picture appears to have colours too! :blue_wink:

sorry to hear about your prang! whoops.

Dave.

That is what I call a Holy Rev! Nice work, may it rise up once again from its untimely demise.

To replace the center panel would be to lose the beautiful Revolution logo. Unless of course you sent it in to have one of the other panels replaced with the logo. Stability is my question. You'd basically be flying two seperate wings. Maybe I'm wrong. Why not just do the triple vent with twice the width of the normal vent. I'm still trying to figure out why you'd be flying a Rev in winds that would neccitate the thought like this. Try heavier line. My B std. with both 2 and 3 wraps in the LE is twitchy and not really how I like to fly in 12 mph winds. I put the 150lb line on and it was like flying in 6 to 7 mph wind. And the wind was actually varying between 13 and 18 mph.

Dean

If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure that aerodynamically, the logo panel (and the whole center area of the sail) is where a lot of the lift comes from as it funnels/channels the wind out to the sides. That's why the iQuad "dudes" feel that the outer panel is more efficient than the inner on the mid vent. That entire center area seems to be key for filling the sail.

Please, anyone with insight to this... or if I'm wrong...please, correct me.

If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure that aerodynamically, the logo panel (and the whole center area of the sail) is where a lot of the lift comes from as it funnels/channels the wind out to the sides. That's why the iQuad "dudes" feel that the outer panel is more efficient than the inner on the mid vent. That entire center area seems to be key for filling the sail.

Please, anyone with insight to this... or if I'm wrong...please, correct me.

Well,Dave found out the hard way.Thats just about the point the flag post took a big bite from the sail a couple of times.I vented mine [now Sailors]in three stages.It was a hit and miss thing,.Once i holed the Rev sign area.It seemed to vent much more.Before i holed it ther.Itdid seem to be the main lift area.

Im on with another,should finish it soon.The last one was a complete experiment.From an idea i got off Stephen Hoath version.

,MY NEXT VICTIM.....post-1680-1225758020_thumb.jpg

Good night all

BRIAN...

• 4 weeks later...

Friend Pete had a nearly new unvented B sail that did not set so well and decided to do something with it, sewed on some stays (they transformed mine) and 30% meshed it, today was the first flight, nice, I can see one or two more appearing about here with the same configuration.

We just need to run it against the normal B vent for a while to have a proper comparison, but first impressions were excellent.

post-559-1228058453_thumb.jpg

Friend Pete had a nearly new unvented B sail that did not set so well and decided to do something with it, sewed on some stays (they transformed mine) and 30% meshed it, today was the first flight, nice, I can see one or two more appearing about here with the same configuration.

We just need to run it against the normal B vent for a while to have a proper comparison, but first impressions were excellent.

post-559-1228058453_thumb.jpg

Thats very interesting looking I like it seems it would fly well on really really windy days.

I'm glad i'm not the only one that takes a kite right out of the package and starts cutting holes in it :kid_smartass: