Mega Vented EXP

big bri

YE Bob,suddenly the smart set havent any guesstimates by eye :P:sq-cyclops: .

Whats that,

guestimate by eye.Some Sub Imperial measureing system from mr Abacus.

Some more Noticeble Findings haveing now flown the Kite.These are experienced findings and not a best guess.

STD Exp sprs in Daves kite probably gave less control.With the Bow in the L/E,it was on the edge of its upper stress level.I had the SLE in my L/E.Found that control and any more agressive moves,idnt give the impression the kite was in the Upper stress limits.Though Dave said his would be and was cautious in Dive Stops and Snap Turrns.With wind measureing over 5 on the B/F/S.They performed very well.The highest i flew in was 44mph ,with a constant 40mph.

I will do as Stephen Suggested and make my Holes even Larger.The Centre of the sail.Where the REV sign is.Deffinately needs some Venting.The pull was very noticeable from that area,as ther arent any holes ATM in the area.

The pull was moderate and managable on the kite.I would say like a normal 1.5 vented in or around a good 18mph wind or slightly above.I flew on 150lb x 90ft LPG.I was very confident with this as a choice and would even have used a lower Breaking Strain.I would also have liked to have tried longer lines myself,but didnt.Dave did and i think he used 110lb X 120ft climax protec.Without a problem or certainly a noticeable one.

Ther isnt any Noticeable wear and tear ATM,but i will monitor this as the Down Spars in conjunction with the flying surface and conditions,must cause a sanding affect on the contact points around the Verticles.The sail may suffer if some precautions to stop wear at these points is taken.A rub patch of some kind would be prudent i think.

Another noticeable point was the stress on the Bungies and how much more they stretched[see the picture].Because of the stretch.The sail and the venting tended to Bunch or ride up the Verticles toward the L/E.This also distorted the sail patern,or the holes[venting] became miss-shaped and prevented even venting.I wondered if the Bungies could be replaced with a more measured or even rigid fix that would maintain a constant sail patern and would also maintain the venting shapes and in theory give a more constant,even vented surface.

I do fear that the sail,particularly the Venting[holes] if not sealed properly will definately tear or fray.The conditions or the extremety of conditions i think will cause wear and then fraying if something cant be done as a prevention.The only idea i can think of as a prevention is re-seal the holes as soon as any wear is noticed,useing the method used on the L/E when fraying starts[heat sealing].

Hope this is of use to someone.Its FUN flying in these conditions and gives you a real buzz and enables you to play when others are grounded......,BUT,One major diffrence that must be given respect is SAFETY.Setting up is a NEW ball game in 40mph winds,as one of the guys i flew with today found.He almost lost a finger[no harm realy]and notted a set of good lines into a nice ball or BIRDS NEST that will take some hours to sort out .

THINK BEFORE you do anything with your DIGITS,especially when the line is attached to the KITE.

BRIAN...ps,

If ya dont know the answer,ask.Guessing by EYE isnt telling something we dont already know unless your Stevie Wonder[no Offence Stevie] :sq_saywhat: .

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good pics Bri, pity about those motors getting sand blasted though :o

On two of my Rev types which are flown in higher winds I fitted 4mm bungees, at the bottom of the uprights (verticals) it is passed through 4mm nylon washers to spread the load on the back of the sail.

The 4mm shock cord stopped a lot of the sail bunching you mentioned.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5m-of-4mm-shock-cord...1QQcmdZViewItem

Now ive stopped laughing at Bobs Joke,Ican say, Thanks Harrier.This could do the trick on the sail bunching.I will purchase some and see what happens.Thinking of putting some Moonie tape along the area wher the verticals rub the sail.I would do both sail and spar with the tape i think

pickys of the

Mega Vented MK2,,,,

post-1680-1196597577_thumb.jpgpost-1680-1196597675_thumb.jpg

Now ive stopped laughing at Bobs Joke,Ican say, Thanks Harrier.This could do the trick on the sail bunching.I will purchase some and see what happens.Thinking of putting some Moonie tape along the area wher the verticals rub the sail.I would do both sail and spar with the tape i think

pickys of the

Mega Vented MK2,,,,

post-1680-1196597577_thumb.jpgpost-1680-1196597675_thumb.jpg

I do hope those rev shapes dont rip ?

Ye Gary,OOPS, Sir Garyor Mr Gary,i know what ya mean.I thought if the slightest sign of a tear or a wrip happens.I would turn the shape into a box/strip .Then mesh the area with,well, with Mesh :lol::lol::lol:

BRIAN...

I used to have a vented kite with velcro mesh panels ...worked quit well in a bit of a blow, Woody and I have triple vented + teabags for when it's really windy but Stephens holy kite works v well

• 5 months later...

Ummmm now where have I seen this English Tea-l-bag before (?) :lol:

"Fancy a cuppa".... "don't mind if I do"

There's not much else to do in these strong winds when you are funsized :blush:

(I'll just sit this one out when the winds too strong)

I would still need a mega-mega-vented, even in wind no where near 40mph!

Very nice "Chimp".

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
It's blowin' lots here today - too much for my triple vented sail. I've got an old standard that doesn't get used much so I reckon it's tea bag time.

I've re-read the posts in this thread but any further advice from those who've made/flown a bag would be appreciated

Hello Mate,

Try and get intouch with Dave B.Im sure he made a proper template after my exp finished.He would be glad to help ya im sure.Im speeking to him a little later hopfully.I will mention your on with the project.

ttfn

BRIAN...

Interesting idea Jonesey....Westaway are only a few miles away.

Would you use them hot to seal the cut edge?

Should be able to... haven't done a kite yet as mine are still all new'ish but have practised on material ... assume you would fold kite in half so matching holes (which might preclude hot sealing?) etc etc Westaway Sails now there's a name from my past .... sure they would have at least a partial set of punches .. maybe not the bigger ones though? Quite cheap to buy so maybe we should all chip in for a set before the winter really sets in!

Surely the FD of Clipper Ventures could put a set on his expenses ;)

I would do, but I have no need of such devices. For a start I could always use Jonesey's. Secondly it is me that is already the proud owner of Bri's Maxvent -referred to above and now named chimp.

I save my freebee allowance for other things like midvents and race rods. ;)