Mega Vented EXP

big bri

Just realised ive put this in Up and Comeing events...woops,sorry freinds.

Well,i have to say.After haveing a blast on Stephen Hoaths creation.I could not resist haveing a go.

Recepie as follows,

Take Several Heinz Beans tins,a couple of circular salt and pepper Mills,the tops off two empty[unfortunetly] Gallon Bells Whisky Bottles.A Rev Exp,One gas soldering Iron and away you go.Dont burn through a bridle leg as i did though :kid_brooding: .

WHAT DO YA THINK.

BRIANpost-1680-1196285270_thumb.jpg post-1680-1196285373_thumb.jpg

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well,i have to say.After haveing a blast on Stephen Hoaths creation.I could not resist haveing a go.

Recepie as follows,

Take Several Heinz Beans tins,a couple of circular salt and pepper Mills,the tops off two empty[unfortunetly] Gallon Bells Whisky Bottles.A Rev Exp,One gas soldering Iron and away you go.Dont burn through a bridle leg as i did though :kid_brooding: .

WHAT DO YA THINK.

Wow that looks fantastic. Did I forget to mention that you should take the bridle off before you burn the holes. :P

So how easy was it to vent the kite like this? What were the main challenges and did you shed a tear as you trashed a once beautiful kite? ;)

Let me know how it flies, for really strong winds (40mph) you may need even bigger holes but I would love to hear your thoughts.

Vive la revolution!

I will fly.try,and Replie, as soon as i can.

The main challenge was starting to carve into an almost new kite.With a Hot Poker,and trembleing hand.

BIGGER,maybe the way to go.Just thought SMALL can be made bigger,but once ther big.Youve had your chips ;)

BRIAN...

You beat me too it! Looks nice that Bri.

The other day going through one of the many kite making boxes/bags I found a half finished sail which was supposed to be a twin to one of my home made ones - but for one thing or another I never finished it. When I unearthed it I realised it would be perfect for the 'holey' treatment - so maybe this weekend I will stitch on the leading edge, and then burn some nice big holes in it.

So on to the pradtical questions - is a gas soldering iron essential or is it just a little bit easier to use (no trailing flexes and the like)? Also does the power rating matter to much (no idea what my iron is - it's cheap and old and I usually use it to brun small holes in kite sails)?

Oh and another question - does the layout of the holes have any effect on the performance of the kite? For example is it best to avoid the centre panel and put the holes in the wings, or the other way round, or it really doesnt matter?

Jan

You beat me too it! Looks nice that Bri.

The other day going through one of the many kite making boxes/bags I found a half finished sail which was supposed to be a twin to one of my home made ones - but for one thing or another I never finished it. When I unearthed it I realised it would be perfect for the 'holey' treatment - so maybe this weekend I will stitch on the leading edge, and then burn some nice big holes in it.

So on to the pradtical questions - is a gas soldering iron essential or is it just a little bit easier to use (no trailing flexes and the like)? Also does the power rating matter to much (no idea what my iron is - it's cheap and old and I usually use it to brun small holes in kite sails)?

Oh and another question - does the layout of the holes have any effect on the performance of the kite? For example is it best to avoid the centre panel and put the holes in the wings, or the other way round, or it really doesnt matter?

Jan

Hi Jan,

Havent tried flying it yet.I used the Gas soldering iron just for ease,no wires and stuff.The one i have has adjustable heat settings.Its on offer at Maplins atm.Now £20 from £40.The patern was simply me and my two Kids arrangeing tins of Beans,A couple of pepper Mills and a few big bottle tops in an even [ish]way on the sail laid flat.Simply cut around the Tins when the Iron is red hot[glowing].I did use it on a lower heat setting and it worked fine when cutting.

I will do a full info page soon.

BRIAN...

Do me a favor try that in light wind and let me know what you think

I know holes in light wind, but watch and see what happened.

The string vest effect i reckon.The holes cause air pockets and so act as a barrier for letting Light winds through.,,just my best guess.I will try as soon as i can.

BRIAN...

Just realised ive put this in Up and Comeing events...woops,sorry freinds.

Recepie as follows,

WHAT DO YA THINK.

good choice for the location,,Its the first International swiss cheese mega fly. :clap;

TODAY IN AGALE

post-1680-1196527279_thumb.jpgpost-1680-1196527388_thumb.jpg

Well they had a Baptism for Real Today.Flew in 40mph,no probs,A few pickys of the three at rest.Note the sand build up and it blowing across the beech

BRIAN...

They look fantastic. Have you calculated the surface area of hole on either of those two EXP's (Pi R squared) and if so which has the biggest surface area of whole? Did you notice any difference in performance with the different hole configuration?

I would guesstimate that daves (red and black) had the least surface area - by eye, but of course the pattern of holes may be deceptive.

Dave will probably be able to be more help on this subject with his technical mind and what not!

They look fantastic. Have you calculated the surface area of hole on either of those two EXP's (Pi R squared) and if so which has the biggest surface area of whole? Did you notice any difference in performance with the different hole configuration?

Hi Stephen,

Just done a quick check on the surface area of holes on my EXP (red/black) & it works out at 13230 square millimeters or 521 square inches for you imperial people.

Don't know about brians, will have to check size & number of holes. Regards difference in performance we didnt get chance to try each others kite. There was a large difference in the bow on the leading edge as brian had SLE spars & I had the EXP spars.

Great fun being able to fly in such high winds if you dont mind being sand blasted in the process :D

Dave.