Which Rev? (1, 1.5, 2, or B)

John146

Question

I'm wondering if someone can give a brief description about the different Revs. I have a Supersonic and I'm interested in another but I'm not sure which I should look at. I've seen discussions about the Rev 1, Rev 2, 1.5, 1.5 SLE, the Sedgwick, and the B.

I'm wondering about the pros and cons for each type.

Can someone help? Or are there key words I can search on to find topics that might show the differences?

Wow, this is a little more difficult than the question implies. Your basically asking a detailed pros vs. cons about every Rev in the lineup except the speed and power ones. One could write a 100 page book on this....but we'll just try and keep it as basic as possible. You should be able to do a search on each of the kites you are interested in and get the info but I will try to summarize it up in on post for you.

Rev 1:

The Sedgwick is the same kite as the Rev 1 with a different panel layout and no mylar so I will just include it with this response. Some say the no-mylar sail flies a bit better but usually comes down to color choices and appearance. The Rev 1 is slow and graceful. Arguably the most precise kite in the Rev lineup. The Rev 1 is the largest of all the Revs (except the power 2-4 & 4-8) and also has the largest wind range in it's stock form. With changing out the leading edges you can increase the wind range but you may still be limited to the upper wind range unless you go with a vented version as well. The Rev 1 usually comes packaged from Rev with the SLE (super leading edge). Other leading edges can be ordered as replacements for the SLE if desired. The Rev 1 is available with SLE and Standard leading edges for both the standard and sedgwick models, SUL model(special order) & Vented models.

Cons....??? Well, I guess the slowness of the kite is the only con unless you are not a speed freak then there is no cons. Many pilots (including my wife) absolutely love the Rev 1 with its gracefulness and control and would take it over the other Rev's any day.

Rev 1.5 SLE:

At this time Revolution does not produce just a 1.5 so the only option on this model is the Rev 1.5 SLE. The 1.5 SLE is a great kite with a ton of versatility to it and is the best selling model (in our shop). The 1.5 SLE has multiple rods that can be changed in and out of the kite such as the SLE 3 & 4 wraps, standard rods in 2, 3, & 4 wrap and the new Race Rods. This allows the 1.5 SLE (and the vented version) to be able to be flown in nearly any winds from 1-2 mph all the way to a reported 40+ mph with just a simple change of the frame rods. Rod sets average around $60-$70 per set so getting other rods for your 1.5 SLE is very inexpensive and simple. Our shop does offer to exchange out the SLE rods to any other rod you want at no additional charge so if you do not want the SLE you can give us a call. The 1.5 SLE is available in SUL, Standard & Vented models.

Cons...Not quite as precise as the Rev 1 (A qualified pilot has the ability to match the precision of the Rev 1 with this model but the Rev 1 a little easier to do precise maneuvers) The precision issue is very minimal between the 1 and 1.5. The 1.5 SLE is a little twitchier and flies quicker than the Rev 1, especially with the SLE installed.

Rev II:

This kite is very quick and can be a blast to fly. It is not as quick as the speed series but still faster than the 1.5 SLE. It doesn't have near the pull that any of the other models have either so flying it in 15+ mph winds is both fun and easy to do. It is probably the lightest pulling kite in the entire Rev lineup (except the indoor but that is obvious). Because of it's small size it is quick and not as precise as the 1.5 SLE (pilot experience makes most of the difference here as well). It is a fun little bugger to fly. The Rev II is awesome fun to stack. The Rev II is available in standard, Vented and 3 stack configurations.

Cons...It is a limited production model, usually only made once a year so supply is very limited and it may be difficult to get a specific color without a special order. It is quick and twitchy.

B-Series:

The B-series is basically a 1.5 sail with a different panel layout. The sail materials are slightly different and combined with the unique panel layout the B-series flies very smoothly and has a great wind range. The B-series is a kite designed for a Rev pilot who wants the ultimate Revolution kite. The package comes with two complete frame sets:

Standard Version - 2 wrap and 3 wrap frames

Vented Version - 3 wrap and 4 wrap frames

The package also has pre-knotted handles to make adjustments to your flying style very quick and easy. It also comes with a weight kit to help with 3D flying such as axle's, flick-flack's and other advanced tricks. It also carries a logo from John B. himself on the sail. The kite is a great package that will help take your flying experience to the next level.

Cons...The B-series package is the most expensive of all the kites listed and it does not come with lines which must be purchased separately.

I want to point out that the above information is only my opinion and others may experience different results than what I have posted. This post is not to reflect badly on any of the kites listed above or to be taken that one kite is not a very good model. Revolution has done a wonderful job at producing kites that are totally fun for different flying styles and wind ranges (different strokes for different folks). None of the kites in the Rev lineup are really competing with each other as they are all different enough from the others to warrant their existence. It really comes down to personal preference as to which kite is better than the other. I do have all of the models above in my bag at all times cuz they're all awesome to fly!!! I haven't listed many cons on the kites cuz I just can't think of any....... They are all awesome kites. You should just buy them all now cuz you'll probably end up with them all anyways :)

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

What could anybody really answer further to Kent's comprenhensive article!

Welcome Bob. I am also quite new to Rev so really, who am I to advise. However, I have the Supersonic and as good as it is, in my experience, it's fun to fly but it's not as controllable. So, my advice would be to go for the 1.5 B Series. If you can control the Supersonic you will find that the 1.5 B Series to be a real pleasure. And you do get the 2 frames. With little wind and the Professional rods, it's great. More wind you have the 3 Wrap rods and if it's really blowing add the pro leading edge to the 3 Wrap and you have great strength, well, for me up to 20 mph.

I would add that the 1.5 B Series Vented is pleasure also. My preferred Rev, in anything above 10mph. Very smooth. Yes, I like the vented very much.

Ian

GREAT break down Kent, thanks!

One thing to add on the Rev I though... In my experience, the Sedgwick is more precise and flies smoother than the regular sail due to it's paneling.

Slap 2 or 3 wrap frame in for 2-10 mph... OMG, sweet... Not quite as sweet as a B, but not too shabby. ;)

GREAT break down Kent, thanks!

One thing to add on the Rev I though... In my experience, the Sedgwick is more precise and flies smoother than the regular sail due to it's paneling.

Slap 2 or 3 wrap frame in for 2-10 mph... OMG, sweet... Not quite as sweet as a B, but not too shabby. ;)

Hi John,

Was watching your Rev Play vid on the Rev 1. What's the LE you've got in there?

Cheers

Clin

I am seriously thinking about adding a Sedgwick to my bag. I also want a vented Rev 1. Has anyone any suggestions as to Vented Sedgwick against a standard Vented Rev 1?

I am drawn to the Sedgwick Vented if only to compliment my Rev B and Rev B V.

Clin,
, that was a full 2 wrap frame... Rev Play 2, with a B-Series, was on Race Spars.

Baloo, of the vented Rev 1's... I heartily recommend the Sedgwick, the venting runs leading edge to trailing edge, mid body...

On the "standard" Rev 1, the vents are out closer to the wing tips.

Thanks John! So I assume the upper wind range of the Rev 1 wth 3wrap would be ~10mph? Thinking abt getting the Sedgwick but not sure if I should get the 3 wrap or 4 wrap LE.

Bob D, your thread came at a good time as like you, I am contemplating my 2nd Rev.

Cheers

Clin

Baloo,

I got my Sedgwick with a 4 wrap. I was so surprised how well it flys in very low winds that of course I want to stretch the envelope and have ordered a 2 wrap frame. Then it will fly just like John's in Rev Play 1 :rolleyes: . ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.

Wow, this is a little more difficult than the question implies. Your basically asking a detailed pros vs. cons about every Rev in the lineup except the speed and power ones. One could write a 100 page book on this....but we'll just try and keep it as basic as possible. You should be able to do a search on each of the kites you are interested in and get the info but I will try to summarize it up in on post for you.

Rev 1:

snip...

Rev 1.5 SLE:

snip...

Rev II:

snip...

B-Series:

snip...

snip...

Add in the REV 1.5 EXP. The EXP is very similar to the original REV 1.5.

The EXP is usually easier to learn on and the least expensive REV 1.5. The sail is made from nylon versus polyester thus it stretches a bit in flight which returns. It is not as radical as the 1.5 SLE and or even the 1.5 JB which makes it a little easier to learn. The rods are the standard 3 wrap.

The down fall of the EXP compared to the SLE and JB is that it is slightly heavier. The sail absorbs water easier. The sail does wear out quicker, being it starts to balloon and get very floppy.

Really, it'll fly into the 12-14 mph range, but it's not the sweet spot... At that point, swap off to 4 wraps.

I never use the SLE, will double up leading edges first.

What kind of winds do you generally get Clin?

John,

I'm generally in the 2-10mph with occasional 13ish winds. Ideally, I'd guess a 2 wrap, 3wrap or 2+3wrap together would do most of the time. Do you think a straight 4wrap would do it as well?

I like Denny's idea as well. A 2wrap + 4 wrap frame would provide some overlap.

Thanks!

Clin

Thats what I thought. Get the kit John uses, automaticaly fly like John.

That's it! Now you understand the B. *wink-nudge-grin*

I'm generally in the 2-10mph with occasional 13ish winds. Ideally, I'd guess a 2 wrap, 3wrap or 2+3wrap together would do most of the time. Do you think a straight 4wrap would do it as well?

If I were picking just two frames for the Sedgwick, it'd be 2 and 4 wraps... Indeed, the best overlap of wind conditions.

Add in the REV 1.5 EXP. The EXP is very similar to the original REV 1.5.

The EXP is usually easier to learn on and the least expensive REV 1.5. The sail is made from nylon versus polyester thus it stretches a bit in flight which returns. It is not as radical as the 1.5 SLE and or even the 1.5 JB which makes it a little easier to learn. The rods are the standard 3 wrap.

The down fall of the EXP compared to the SLE and JB is that it is slightly heavier. The sail absorbs water easier. The sail does wear out quicker, being it starts to balloon and get very floppy.

There we go. I just added it in.

John,

Thanks!

Clin

Clin,

If you didn't want a Rev 1, I think a standard B series would do you fine also. I think the B series is an amazing kite to fly and will bring you years of enjoyment. I added race rods for mine to fly in lower wind conditions. It rocks!! :sign_kitelife:

Joe

Clin,

If you didn't want a Rev 1, I think a standard B series would do you fine also. I think the B series is an amazing kite to fly and will bring you years of enjoyment. I added race rods for mine to fly in lower wind conditions. It rocks!! :sign_kitelife:

Joe

I have already got the Std B-series. Have plans to get a vented 1.5 and maybe a Rev 1 or 1.5 SUL. Oh yeah, the B-series rocks and I'm loking to rock further! :blue-music:

Clin

Go on mate,fill ya boots.The B series is smashing.Get both std and vented if ya can.

Then go Get a sedgewick for xmas,send it to yourself and open it xmas morning ;) .

BRIAN...

I'm just wondering Brian. Who is this guy that asks for information? Then does not reply to any posts offering help.

Seems odd to me.

What happened Bob D?

I got my 2 wrap for the Sedgwick and have now had a chance to fly it in ultra light wind. Love it. :wub: It defies gravity. I would never take it out in any big wind as it feels like a spider web out there. I had people coming up to me asking how I do that with no wind. There were 2 to 3mph winds which were plenty to do anything I know how to do in any wind. I know the Rev 1 will fly in heavy winds with the other wraps in it but it flies so sweet with that 2 wrap I think I will save mine for those light wind days.

Baloo, I still don’t fly “just like John” :angry: but then again no one around here has seen John fly. :D