Line Stretch & Adjustment [Stacked kites]

big bri

I am haveing some major trouble with the quad set i am useing on my new Five Stacks.Ive flown the five stack three times now for around two hours each session.The wind was 12=14mph at the strongest and next to nothing at its lowest.It pulls like a B52 in high winds,so i do exspect some line adjustments due to stretch.I am useing SPECTRA ,100FT X 200lb .Which did sing a little in the higher winds.

So far ive had to adjust the lines 6inchs between the shortest and the longest,on three seperate occassions to equalise them as pairs and then a quad.Its the brake lines that stretch the most,but ive just finished another session on the kite in a good wind and found ther just as much diffrence as the first three times ive adjusted them.Further more it spoils the experience to the point wher the kite become unbalanced as the lines have stretched so far out and i have no adjustment left on the Handles.

Any Suggestions Fellas/Girls,

BRIAN...

I am haveing some major trouble with the quad set i am useing on my new Five Stacks.Ive flown the five stack three times now for around two hours each session.The wind was 12=14mph at the strongest and next to nothing at its lowest.It pulls like a B52 in high winds,so i do exspect some line adjustments due to stretch.I am useing SPECTRA ,100FT X 200lb .Which did sing a little in the higher winds.

So far ive had to adjust the lines 6inchs between the shortest and the longest,on three seperate occassions to equalise them as pairs and then a quad.Its the brake lines that stretch the most,but ive just finished another session on the kite in a good wind and found ther just as much diffrence as the first three times ive adjusted them.Further more it spoils the experience to the point wher the kite become unbalanced as the lines have stretched so far out and i have no adjustment left on the Handles.

Any Suggestions Fellas/Girls,

BRIAN...

1. What is the manufacturer of the lines?

2. Did you give the lines a good constant stretch before you used them on the train?

Note: The bottom lines do tend stretch more. Did you swap the bottom lines with the top lines to counter this a bit?

Need your answers first, then we can continue.

Whenever I make up my linesets I attach them to a hook I have mounted into a wall stud in the garage. I run them out and hook the lines to a strong wooden handle and pull on them until them stop growing. Then jerk them a few times and one last stretch. They don't seem to grow while flying after that.

John and the crew

Hello Guys and thanks for your input,its appreciated :)

:) Hi again John M,The lines where premade and the only signs of any manufacturer are on the winders that are LPG winders.Thers a sticker that says SPECTRA 200lb x 100ft.Ther very much like some Prism lines i have with a foil i got a while ago.I have LPG and SHANTI lines in quite a few quad sets and ther not the same as these.No i didnt prestretch before use.I have swopped them over several times now.

Hi John[small world Skysail :) ] These lines grow faster than a TRIFFID,I see your point on PRE-Stretching though.Hoped after the first two flys on the stack they would have stopped Growing though.

Ive never had any lines stretch so much all the years ive flown kites.Ive equalised them now four times and swopped them round to get the stretch out,or so i thought.

BRIAN...

Hello Guys and thanks for your input,its appreciated :)

:) Hi again John M,The lines where premade and the only signs of any manufacturer are on the winders that are LPG winders.Thers a sticker that says SPECTRA 200lb x 100ft.Ther very much like some Prism lines i have with a foil i got a while ago.I have LPG and SHANTI lines in quite a few quad sets and ther not the same as these.No i didnt prestretch before use.I have swopped them over several times now.

Hi John[small world Skysail :) ] These lines grow faster than a TRIFFID,I see your point on PRE-Stretching though.Hoped after the first two flys on the stack they would have stopped Growing though.

Ive never had any lines stretch so much all the years ive flown kites.Ive equalised them now four times and swopped them round to get the stretch out,or so i thought.

BRIAN...

I kind of think you ended up with some really low end spectra on a LPG winder.

I know Shanti of that strength will show hardly any stretching under the conditions you are describing. I am also fairly sure Laser Pro will also be very good of hardly stretching.

You could probably get a fairly good idea of the quality of the lines you bought by comparing the price you paid to that of Shanti and Laser Pro. Both normally are on the expensive side, but well worth the extra expense.

• 3 months later...

Even if line only has 1% stretch, a length of 100' will stretch noticeably.

When I make a new line set, I first sleeve both ends of the roll and then hook up one of my foil kites on a medium wind day and let it fly all afternoon.

Every 5 or 6 sessions. I flip the top for the bottom lines, to help balance the amount of work the lines do.

Good tip Steve B,but ive defo come to the conclusion that LPG is the best line.The last few months ive changed totally the line i use.I used to think climax and shanti had an equal reputation and quality.Ther both excellent products and far better than most.I slightly favoured climax if im honest.Then i tried LPG.I think Monkey discribed it as,,,Flying on wiers,,,Hes bang on.It has way the best feel when flying and the least stretch ive come across.

When i make a new quad set.I fly streight away with it for a good hour.Swop the tops and bottoms.Fly again for an hour and then stretch them out between two ground stakes and then check with an equaliseing winder.John M,gave me some great advice on lines and ive been flying trouble free since it took his advice.Its exspensive LPG,but its the best in my book

BRIAN...

I don't know how scientific their figures are, but Into The Wind rates Laser Pro Gold as having 3% stretch and some of the budget brands at 4% stretch. 1% strech is an issue on 120' lines. I know the 120' set I made out of Tuf-Line Plus 80# Spectra took quite a few session to settle down, even after my usual break-in methods.

Your not kiding Steve B.I had the same problem with some spectra.The dam stuff was growing,it was ALIVE im sure.John M reckoned i had some low grade stuff.I think he was correct.

Where some of these percentages come from i can only guess.As you say, 3% of 120 is plenty enough for me when it comes ta stretch.Its probably worth remembering.Not all line comes,,Pre-stretched,so will be prone to stretch if it hasnt already been stretched

I flew the same stack 2weeks ago in a wonderfull breeze over at Ainsdale, that i flew on the low grade spectra line that started this thread and caused me some problems.I flew the stack this time on 250ft,YEP :o its not a typo,250ft x 150lb LPG.The line is still BANG ON.

LPG, jobsa goodn

BRIAN..