Back from the beach

Baloo

Well folks I am back from a week or so in Sunny Wales. Had a wonderfull time, only one day I couldnt fly due to lack of wind. Got at least 3 Hours in on all the others.

Would like to say I am now as good as JB, if I am honest I am no better than B4 I went. Main thing was I had FUN and the winds were just SO steady, not at all like the gusty inland winds I normally have to fly in.

I now understand why so many go to the coast to fly.

Only problem is tha Sand, it just gets in all those little nooks and crannies.

Just to check I have done right. The sand was fairly wet in a number of places. I have let the kites dry off, brushed off as much sand as possible. Rinsed them well in cool water, then left them to dry well again B4 checking them out and packing away???????

Will the lines need rinsing as well or can I just put them away as they are all dry now???????

Any other advice please.

Now that you mention it my B's do need a trim. At the end of where the LE's go.

As I understand this is a common thing and can be solved by heating in a similar fashion to when you seal line ends.

Thanks for the advice about the lines John, as they were lying on the very wet beach I think I will give them a swill.

Baloo,

Glad to hear you had a great time at the beach. The winds are about the same here, inland light breezes to none, on the coast the winds tend to be a little steadier. Although early in the morning and at dusk to dark the winds die down even at the beach.

When I spend a week or so on the coast almost all my equipment gets a bath. Quick soak and a swirl in some fresh water and air dry. Funny thing is when I pull the kites out I still find sand.

Regards,

Arns

Ho Baloo,isnt it a great time of year for a holiday.Weather can be quite mild,You dont Have to look quite like Eskimo Joe yet and the beeches are EMPTY :).

WASHING KITES

I read you should always remove the verticles from your rev and dont have the L/Es under tension either.This will avoid stretch[baggy sail].

Dont know myself if its true ,but why risk it.Does anyone know the proper answer[John M]

On the otherhand.It would be a suprise to find your Rev 1 has shrunk and is now a Rev 2 and a bit :doh:

ANY PICKYS OF WELCH WALES BALOO

ttfn

BRIAN...

WASHING KITES

I read you should always remove the verticles from your rev and dont have the L/Es under tension either.This will avoid stretch[baggy sail].

Dont know myself if its true ,but why risk it.Does anyone know the proper answer[John M]

When possible, I prefer to wash REVs off with all rods installed. Then I prefer to dry my REVs off with a towel, let them sit about a half hour to let any moisture evaporate and then I pack them up.

My observation of kite materials is:

Good polyester when it is new or little used absorbs almost no water. As it gets older it will absorb a little more but still not much.

Nylon when it is new absorbs some water as it gets older it is like a sponge.

When polyester stretches it rarely returns. However it does not stretch much even when wet.

When nylon stretches it tends to mostly return. When it is wet it stretches like a rubber band. As it gets older it stretches easier and returns less and less.

Dont think I have any decent pictures. I will have a look on the camera. It was my intention to try KAP with the Rev but remembered the rig once I was too far to turn back.

One of my friends might hav a pic or two I will ask hime. I was TOO busy flying to worry about photo's. Sorry Bri.

Hope you had a good time Chris, perhaps we will get to meet up again at one of the training days.

Recently I replaced the LE mesh in one of friend Robs Sedgwick 1's, I was surprised at the amount of sand held within the LE Dacron and within the folded mesh on the sail.

When I opened the LE Dacron the surface resembled a nicely graded sand paper and it was the same within sail, the sand was held by the glue from the double sided tape used during manufacture and had obviously gradually filled the voids between the mesh over time.

I wonder how much the sand had contributed to the mesh failure, as it filled it had hardened the mesh edge of the Dacron and showed at the edge as a fine file which would provide a nice abrasive edge every time the sail was folded around the spar when packing away.

Robs Revs do spend a lot of time on the beach and under the sea so plenty of opportunity for the sand to find its way in, and when the sail is held up to the light it looks as if it has had a shotgun used on it.

Just a thought when washing to not wash sand into the sail seams.

Hope you had a good time Chris, perhaps we will get to meet up again at one of the training days.

Recently I replaced the LE mesh in one of friend Robs Sedgwick 1's, I was surprised at the amount of sand held within the LE Dacron and within the folded mesh on the sail.

When I opened the LE Dacron the surface resembled a nicely graded sand paper and it was the same within sail, the sand was held by the glue from the double sided tape used during manufacture and had obviously gradually filled the voids between the mesh over time.

I wonder how much the sand had contributed to the mesh failure, as it filled it had hardened the mesh edge of the Dacron and showed at the edge as a fine file which would provide a nice abrasive edge every time the sail was folded around the spar when packing away.

Robs Revs do spend a lot of time on the beach and under the sea so plenty of opportunity for the sand to find its way in, and when the sail is held up to the light it looks as if it has had a shotgun used on it.

Just a thought when washing to not wash sand into the sail seams.

WAW,must watch for that then.I do remove the spars every few washdays[did i realy say that,,,WASHDAYS,,,]and wash the L/Es out with the hose pipe or shower hose.The sand thats in the bath or on the floor is a shocker realy.I then rinse the spars and lines.They all then get a quick dip in look warm bath water with some HAIR CONDITIONER init .Then Air Dry and a good shake.

May start drying them upsidedown.

Thanks for the tip,,,

BRIAN...

WAW,must watch for that then.I do remove the spars every few washdays[did i realy say that,,,WASHDAYS,,,]and wash the L/Es out with the hose pipe or shower hose.The sand thats in the bath or on the floor is a shocker realy.I then rinse the spars and lines.They all then get a quick dip in look warm bath water with some HAIR CONDITIONER init .Then Air Dry and a good shake.

May start drying them upsidedown.

Thanks for the tip,,,

BRIAN...

I dont bother washing my kites I just hang them up with the l/e in but not tens and let em dry then pack them away they only get all sandy/muddy next time anyway :lol:

mmmmmmmmmmmmm sand!

Theres a constant pool of sand on my doorstep, and today theres also a few sand foot prints leading up to doorstep.

My car boot has a fine layer of sand all over the black carpeting.

The interior of my car has more sand in it than is strictly necessary, ie all over the drivers footwell, which is also carpeted in black!

There is a pool of sand on my dining room table, where i dumped a dirty rev.

My boot bag is full of sand.

There is a small amount of sand in the bath for some bizarre reason (maybe washing kites tbh}.

My fave deck chair is sitting in the dining room, in a pool of sand also.

Ive had the hose out on the car already, to remove the enourmous amounts of sand which gathers in the wheel arches, despite me making a point of stopping on the tarmac just off the beach to try and knock some of it off. Btw a rear wheel drive two seater sports car is amazing fun on the wet sand - not! If I dont hose it down, i find puddles of sand under each wheel the following day when its dried and fell off!

The ashtray of my car is also full of pretty shells Ive picked up on the beach - another bad habit to add to the list, I also like jumping on them razor shell things, cos it makes a very satisfying noise!

Sand is your friend - its the results of a very good days fly on the beach!

Looks like it will be a neat job.

I can also honestly say I am the Boss in my house, just as long as my Wife is nowhere in hearing distance. Just to be on the safe side I always whisper it. She wouldnt think much of me calling it My house either so I have to be a bit careful.

• 2 weeks later...

hi all.

when i have flown on the beech, which is every saturday.

when arriving home, run the bath,add a little bit of baby shampoo, take out all spars, give a good wash round in the bath , then rinse off under the shower.

hang over the shower rail to dry.

never had any probs with the rev and also it smells nice.

all the best steve.