stacking powerblast?

jakemoore

I think you can stack them Jake. You need a lot of stacking lines though. I think it is 11. Each leading "end" and centre and top and bottom of each vertical.

Not sure what the length would need to be.

I do stand to be corrected on this one though.

witch power blast did you get?? as for stacking im sure you can do it but the pull would be crazy and could make it hard to control but if your useing it for kitesurfing then it might be giid afterall ... i would love to see it thats for sure

witch power blast did you get?? as for stacking im sure you can do it but the pull would be crazy and could make it hard to control but if your useing it for kitesurfing then it might be giid afterall ... i would love to see it thats for sure

Its a 4->8. Most commonly I fly a 10 meter foil but some times I fly a 17 meter foil. I am thinking about doublepowerblast or alternately putting a foil over the powerblast.

How do you suppose I should hook it up? Do you need a stack line from each bridle attachment point?

Jake

This is a project, . . . .... not an afternoon's conversion!

on the second kite (or all those follow the first one) you will remove the bridle

add equal length stack lines,

one to each cap everywhere along the sail's parameter,

since there are eleven lines, you can probably get away with 150 pound spectra.

the center tube of the first kite may need to be reinforced, or the entire leading edge

the stacklines will need to be tuned after installation,

some along the middle of the kite may need to be shorten ever so slightly.

if a bigger number of kites are being stacked,

the last kite is tuned with the slightest additional bit of "down"

so it fetches-up tight first (when reverse flight command is applied)

There's no tried and true formula,

but generally folks use one third or one half

of the leading edge's length as their stack line size

What a surge of power you will feel when a couple 4-8's are powered-up as a stack!

If my calculations are correct, you will need 15 stack lines. Two on each down spar (12) one on each end cap (2) and one in the center. I would suggest making the stack lines at least 300# spectra and probably about 7-8 foot long. I don't know if you would need to reinforce any of the frame on the first kite if you are only stacking two together. Let us all know how this works out for you.

The amount of pull this would generate would be awesome.

Hi,

I'm new to rev's but have been kitesurfing for a few years now mostly with depowerable foil kites. Anyway I just got my first rev - a powerblast 4->8. Does anybody know if it is possible to stack these kites?

Thanks,

Jake

I think you need to speak to Joe Hadzicki on this. He has done some kite surfing with the Power Blast. I am sure he could give you some good tips along with the Do's and Don't's. The problem is to catch him long enough to discuss it.

i agree there i cant really say how many stack lines to use .. as rev flier says 150# lines to uses as stacks lines will probly work great but as you are a kitesurfer i assume you flying with the beach winds so i would suggest 200# line for stack use but im also talking form an area where the winds are always blowing with the big wildwood beach .. the power blast alone is a nasty kite even in a wind as light as 4 mph so if your out there in a 15+ or more witch is what many of the kitesurfers i know in my area go out in a 2 pack of power blasts would porbly be best as a lighter wind package .. in other words use your foils fot the blow days and the power blasts for the lighter wind days.. the other question i have is .. while i never kitesurfed i was wondering that most of the surfers here use inflateable kites witch are good for floating on the water surface os if you bail out youll be able to relaunch the kite from the water where if you had the power blast stack and it hit the wash would you be stuck?? i dont know im just guessing but hey hats off toy to you for the idea and i hope it works for you :blue_wink:

If my calculations are correct, you will need 15 stack lines. Two on each down spar (12) one on each end cap (2) and one in the center. I would suggest making the stack lines at least 300# spectra and probably about 7-8 foot long. I don't know if you would need to reinforce any of the frame on the first kite if you are only stacking two together. Let us all know how this works out for you.

The amount of pull this would generate would be awesome.

Even if you used 100# stack lines, you aren't going to break them. With this beasty setup you will never notice any effect if they are 100# or 1000# train lines.

I would tend to recommend heavier STACK lines strictly on the point that they don't tangle or wrap tips as easy.

Again, attempt to talk to Joe.

And I think one more piece of advice, with tounge in cheek of course. Go and get your head checked out. Are you SURE you realy wnat to do this??

Hang on, hold the press, of course you want to. Go for it man, just PLEASE post a picture and let us all know how you get on.

My most adventurous project to date is a 3 stack of Rev 2's. Considering getting a Blast though, just want to try one out B4 I buy.

Hi,

I'm new to rev's but have been kitesurfing for a few years now mostly with depowerable foil kites. Anyway I just got my first rev - a powerblast 4->8. Does anybody know if it is possible to stack these kites?

Thanks,

Jake

I have been thinking about this for a few days and I have come to the conclusion: "Don't Do It!"

It is simply too dangerous to yourself.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 years later...

I have done this and it is awesome pull there are videos on youtube with me flying the stack and being picked up off the ground and I am not a small guy. Here is the link in about 20-25 mph of wind http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H26N1U3utMA. As far as the link lines go 10' 150# and ten total lines. Don't put one in the center you need that flex to keep the shape of both kites. you can also find me on facebook where there are other videos of me flying the stack in at gusts 4 mph.

• 1 year later...

Hi Jake. I live in the USA and I got a kick out of stacking different kites, foils and deltas alike. I have a Force 10 15 ft delta and I have stacked it with Flexi Foils, smaller deltas, large foil kites, and yes REVs. My trick with the Rev was to build a bridle on the BACK of the Rev to support the same power points as the front bridle. It worked great. We stacked a 2.5 meter Pansh Ace, (among many others) with a Rev1.5. IT WAS AWESOME! the power increase was amazing and the 1.5 steered the foil pretty good. It isn't as hard to do as one would think and I would be happy to help you with this. A Power Blast would be nothing to do and I am sure you would enjoy it. Let me know. More POWER-to ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 months later...

Just one Powerblast 4-8 is OK (for traction) from something like 4.5 m/s wind...

I have tried to make a bigger one by myself for lighter wind, but there is a problem of total weight, and the kite is finally not really usefull under the same amount of wind! So, I suspect that stacking 2 Powerblast 4-8 will have the same result...

But there is a solution, now...: just take a Flysurfer Peak 6, remove its original lines and control bar, and just connect your Powerblast lines and handles to this fabulous new kite:)

Flying it is very similar, with all the same advantages of a Powerblast, and a lot more: easy flying, no rod to break, packing/unpacking, etc. wink.png

fs-peak_closeup-07.jpg

• 4 years later...

A web search and I found this old thread LOL!  

Dannyj -  nice video! It looks like they were locked in together quite nicely.  My forearms are sore just from watching your video.

Powerbar - those sound like some sweet stacks!

Sylvian Bouju - I've always wanted to fly a Peak.  I'm thinking about 5-7 m/s plus.

In follow up I did stack the 4->8 under a Flysurfer Speed 7.  (The original speed with a modified 4-3-1 bridle)  The power increase was cool but the difference in flight speed too great to synchronize.  The powerblast would move forward back or turn in the wind window too fast for the Speed.

My interest was in having the super fast turning performance of a Rev with enough power for kitesurfing.  Now I'm just happy to have some time to spend on the water.