Lines

Wiggle

Question

Hi everyone.

I'm not asking a question, more writing an observation...I purchased a Rev B2 some 2 years ago as my first revolution. I love it but always found it to be like driving a Ferrari in a traffic jam. I could not believe anyone could control a kite like John Barresi...It must be trick photography!

I originally purchased cheep lines thinking it wouldn't make much difference? How wrong!!  I recently flew the B2 with 150kg lines instead of 39kg "my word what a difference". I'm now driving a Mini Cooper round town with bags of control and a big grin on my face.

12 answers to this question

19 minutes ago, Wiggle said:

Hi everyone.

I'm not asking a question, more writing an observation...I purchased a Rev B2 some 2 years ago as my first revolution. I love it but always found it to be like driving a Ferrari in a traffic jam. I could not believe anyone could control a kite like John Barresi...It must be trick photography!

I originally purchased cheep lines thinking it wouldn't make much difference? How wrong!!  I recently flew the B2 with 150kg lines instead of 39kg "my word what a difference". I'm now driving a Mini Cooper round town with bags of control and a big grin on my face.

41kg/90lb lines are more than enough for the B2. 45kg/100lb are also used by some pilots. The B2 is fast but can be controlled easily by using more brake. More brake slows it down about 10% but more importantly it reduces the kite's ability to "run away" from you everytime a gust of wind hits it. The additional brake is what makes the "JB control level" possible. Heavier lines will slow it down, but 150kg lines on a B2 is like using a cannon to kill a fly.

I'm flying in 2-14 mph blustery winds and I find it possible to apply the brakes more effectively when the kite doesn't shoot off at 0-60 mph in under a second! Instead I have a steady graduation at 0-10 and time to control it before it hits 60. I'm also using 20 meter lines due to space restrictions....(sorry I've just looked and there 130kg lines)

Please anyone out there give it a try ! I'd love to hear from you.

On 1/26/2020 at 1:37 PM, Wiggle said:

I'm flying in 2-14 mph blustery winds and I find it possible to apply the brakes more effectively when the kite doesn't shoot off at 0-60 mph in under a second! Instead I have a steady graduation at 0-10 and time to control it before it hits 60. I'm also using 20 meter lines due to space restrictions....(sorry I've just looked and there 130kg lines)

Please anyone out there give it a try ! I'd love to hear from you.

No, I meant let the top lines out on the leaders or bring the bottom lines in. In other words, make the tops longer or the bottom shorter, or a combination of both, so that the wing's angle of attack is reduced. The wind will never put 520kg of pull on the kite. If you tilt the top of the kite away from you by adjusting the leaders it will stop the kite from shooting away. With 130kg lines you are using a medium cannon to kill a fly. Even with 45kg lines it's still overkill.

Hello again

I think your missing my point totally? I've been lucky enough to fly my  B2 for many hours 3-4 times a week over the last 2+ years l love it and have really enjoyed trying every possible combination of line adjustment  and mixing frames etc. I was shocked and surprised just how much I loved the kites performance when using 130kg lines. Let me know what you think once you've tried it !   

6 hours ago, monkey said:

I find the value of 130KG a little odd, that makes them nearly 300 pound lines, thus pretty thick. Am I missing something here?

He likes driving a Ferrari at bicycle speed. The really short 75 foot lines make the kite too fast for him to handle, I guess. Like the rest of us his likes will probably change with time.

Who doesn't like driving a Ferrari at what ever speed ? For about two and a half years I've flown my B2 on 15 meter 84 lbs line, NO problems and love it.

EXPERIMENT and find what suits you best ....mix and match lines frames etc.... I have done exactly that . I have yet to hear from someone who writes Whooow what a crazy idea I must try that ? Have I expected to much from the www.revkites forum?  I also fly my new Rev Spider with these lines and love it! 

Hi REVflyer

Great to hear from you. 

I appreciate the information on your flying preferences. I was beginning to feel like I was doing something wrong ?  The heavier lines on my spider give it an exceptionally smooth ride in blustery winds.A pleasure to fly.

9 hours ago, Wiggle said:

Who doesn't like driving a Ferrari at what ever speed ? For about two and a half years I've flown my B2 on 15 meter 84 lbs line, NO problems and love it.

EXPERIMENT and find what suits you best ....mix and match lines frames etc.... I have done exactly that . I have yet to hear from someone who writes Whooow what a crazy idea I must try that ? Have I expected to much from the www.revkites forum?  I also fly my new Rev Spider with these lines and love it! 

Not sure you mean "expect too much from the forum" I mean, feel free to fly whatever you'd like. I was just clarifying that you meant 300 pound lines. In 25 years of flying Revs, I'd just not even seen a 300 pound line quad set, let alone fly on one ;-)  Have fun, you certainly aren't doing anything wrong.