Does length matter?

ian4c

I understand that the Rev 1.5 SLE leading edge should be 92"

Today I broke one of my rods on my 1.5 SLE. No problem as I have a spare set. When I fitted the spare set I noticed that the SLE seemed longer - quite a bit longer - so I packed up and went home as I did not want to strech the sail.

I find that the supplied rods for the SLE are 30 1/4" 31" 31 1/4" Total 91 1/2"

The spare set measure 31" 31" 31" Total 93"

Should I cut 1/2" from each of the spare set to make them exactly 92" . At 93" the sail is pulled a littler tighter. This was noticed immediately I fitted the new spare set.

Being a novice I don't know if all all spars / rods would / should be supplied in exact lengths. Perhaps rods are made up by suppliers from long lengths?

So I wonder should the length be exact? Does length really matter to within an inch or so?

I understand that the Rev 1.5 SLE leading edge should be 92"

Today I broke one of my rods on my 1.5 SLE. No problem as I have a spare set. When I fitted the spare set I noticed that the SLE seemed longer - quite a bit longer - so I packed up and went home as I did not want to strech the sail.

I find that the supplied rods for the SLE are 30 1/4" 31" 31 1/4" Total 91 1/2"

The spare set measure 31" 31" 31" Total 93"

Should I cut 1/2" from each of the spare set to make them exactly 92" . At 93" the sail is pulled a littler tighter. This was noticed immediately I fitted the new spare set.

Being a novice I don't know if all all spars / rods would / should be supplied in exact lengths. Perhaps rods are made up by suppliers from long lengths?

So I wonder should the length be exact? Does length really matter to within an inch or so?

I have notice recently a similar situation with some of my SLE rods for the REV 1.5 only. I had flown for several years with the rods. All of my thinner 1/4" diameter rods for the REV 1.5 differ only 1/8" in length.

One thing important, DO NOT CUT the rods. You could damage them and cause them to fail prematurely.

You can leave them as is or if you are really worried about it, loosen up the bungees on the LE.

I'm not sure of the exact lengths but I do know that SLE leading edges are an inch or so shorter than the 1/4inch ones. An all 1/4inch frame consists of 5 equal lengths of carbon, the centre section of an sle (pre ferreled) is about an inch shorter. I don't know but have always assumed this is because it is far less flexible and if it was longer it would put too much tension in the sail.

the SLE set is shorter then the 1/4 size because the caps go inside the SLE so less space is needed.. caps go over the 1/4 size rods so more is needed so your set is fine .. just remember if you use your SLE you make sure you have the rubber rings on the ends of your capse to prevent the rods from cutting the shock cords.. you ll find in time that the 1/4 race 2 3 and 4 wrap rods are better then thye SLE anyway

After that post title, I'm having the hardest time trying to find anything serious to say about the subject matter. :kid_devlish:

Length may have been the wrong term. Width? :confused!:

I guess I did not explain things very well. I was hoping to find out if the width of the LE rods is critical in the performance and handling of my Rev 1.5. The spec for example of the JB series 1.5 suggests that tuning of the B series plays an very important part of JB's design.

My two widths - the original LE and replacement LE differ by one and a half inches. Seems a lot to me when the 93 inches are fitted into my 1.5.

If the specification of x model Rev is x LE length, I wonder if different lengths / widths supplied to customers around the world is acceptable to Revolution. Is this to do with QC or other factors?

Length may have been the wrong term. Width? :confused!:

I guess I did not explain things very well. I was hoping to find out if the width of the LE rods is critical in the performance and handling of my Rev 1.5. The spec for example of the JB series 1.5 suggests that tuning of the B series plays an very important part of JB's design.

My two widths - the original LE and replacement LE differ by one and a half inches. Seems a lot to me when the 93 inches are fitted into my 1.5.

If the specification of x model Rev is x LE length, I wonder if different lengths / widths supplied to customers around the world is acceptable to Revolution. Is this to do with QC or other factors?

Oh you described things just fine! My brain is just in the gutter half the time. :?

I think the best solution offered thus far was to lengthen the bungees to accomodate the rods. My 3/4" wrap rods have an inch overlap on my SLE, but I don't think that's affecting the kite's perfromance tbh.

Oh you described things just fine! My brain is just in the gutter half the time. :?

I think the best solution offered thus far was to lengthen the bungees to accomodate the rods. My 3/4" wrap rods have an inch overlap on my SLE, but I don't think that's affecting the kite's perfromance tbh.

Brilliant - Thank you Aerochic.