Just one more Rev?

Cogley

I typically get to fly at a beach about 10 times a year, so I am definitely not a competition flyer.  When you are flying Rev's just for fun, do you find that your selection depends on the wind and your mood?  I ask this because, I somehow feel justified in owning several Rev kites and wonder if I am missing something by not owning "just one more".

For moderate wind, I find that my Rev Supersonic provides me with exceptional control at the price of twitchiness.  That is, if I am well rested and want to practice precision maneuvers, I warm up for 20 minutes and then practice so I can improve a particular maneuver.  As long as the sail is reasonably taut, I can do almost anything I set my mind to.  

On the other hand, if I want a kite that flies slower but still provides excellent control, I fly my cloth Rev 1.5.  It doesn't back as well for me as the Supersonic, but does pretty much everything else.  In moderate wind, it is so relaxing to fly.

Then, there are occasions when it seems preferable to fly some of the other quadlines in the bag: Blast, vented Supersonic, Rev II, homemade ultralight, etc.  How many different Rev kites do you fly at least twice a year?  Which are your favorite kites?

Heh, I'm not one to talk, being all to prone to "just one more rev..."

However, my favorites are usually (or, well, lately)

Vented 1.5 with SUL rods (or higher wind, stronger rods)

Sedgewick 1 if its really light out

This is likely to change a couple of months from now. :lol:

While I have accumulated quite the pile of revs in 10 years, my "main bag" just contains various 1s and 1.5s and a bunch of rods.

I usually end up flying a different rev every time I go out.  It usually depends on my mood (and the wind of course).  Each Rev seems to have its own personality that sets it apart from the other with enough difference that each one is its own enjoyment in flight.

My latest eddition is the Vented 1.5 SLE, I never thought I would really need a vented Rev because when the winds are up I would usually pull out my Sonic or Shockwave for the park, or the Blast/Powerblast kites when out on the buggy.  However, I got the opportunity to fly a vented about a year ago and discovered that it is not only an awesome kite to fly in the strong wind range, but has incredible control in the lighter winds as well (8 to 10 mph+).  The Vented 1.5 has turned out to be an awesome kite to fly in many different wind conditions and I absolutly love it.  Reverse hovers and side slides are ever so graceful and gusty garbage wind seems to just dissolve when this kite is in the air.  I have also found that newbies do very well learning on the Vented because it is not nearly as twitchy as the EXP or the regular 1.5.

I figured that I had every Rev that I would ever need in my bag and enjoy flying all of them....then the Vented came along so that was the "Just one more" back then...and now I am eyeing that vented Sonic and the Vented Rev 1 and thinking....well, maybe one more won't be so bad........ :wink:

" I have also found that newbies do very well learning on the Vented because it is not nearly as twitchy as the EXP or the regular 1.5."

Ah, interesting idea, I'll try this out at WSIKF this summer in "newbie quad school 101"

:D

I started flying Revs back in April... In my Rev bag is a 1.5, Blast, Shockwave & Power Blast 2-4.

I had some problems at first with the 1.5 (which was my first) but after learning quad line control on an Ozone LD Stunt, I had no problem flying any Rev that ended up in my hands.

Obviously, winds are the real deciding factor for me on what to fly. Typically, I'll fly the shockwave if the winds permit. I love the speed and if it's twitchy, I wouldn't know it...

If I need a workout, I'll pull out the Blast or Power Blast.

I found that I fly the 1.5 the least but lately (since my shockwave is down for now), I'll pull out the 1.5 as it allows me to work on precision moves better than the others... I also got a set of SUL rods for the 1.5 and used them last week in some really crummy winds. Turns the 1.5 into a different kite and is rather interesting.

I also have a Sonic Vented on order and can't wait to fill in the last hole in my Rev bag...lol...

So to answer the question, it's a combination of winds and mood for me.

I love having a selection to choose from, especially because here in Chicago, the winds are dirty and pretty much suck. While I LOVE flying, I have had a few times where my wife threatened to confiscate my kites because the winds put me in a bad mood... I never thought the site of a limp flag could affect me so, but it does...

If only the dealers could sell a nice and steady 10 mph breeze that would last for a few days... it's either that or I need to buy a wind tunnel or hire someone to drive me around on the back of a truck at 10mph...

I told my Kite Dealer (Kent @ A Wind Of Change) that I'm going to stop buying kites and start buying tickets to places that have wind...lol

Hmmm Cogley.  10 times a year...  I get there about 5 times, with several of them for several days.  I hate to admit how many Rev's I've bought in the last 3 1/2 years.  But I have at least one of each starting (size) with the Rev II, up to the Blast. (except for the EXP and Backtracker - which I had both and sold both)

When I go to the beach, one thing I absolutely love to do is pull out my 1.5SLE first thing in the morning, grab a mug of coffee, and fly out on the beach in the quiet.  When the coffee's done, I'm ready to head back and get breakfast and get ready for the day.

My favorite depends on my mood and the wind.  Last January I went to the beach with my long johns and heavy coat, gloves, etc.  The wind was 25-30 mph so I flew only vented.  The vented 1.5 was fun, but the Sonic Vented was unbelievably fun!  There was a couple watching from the protection of a dune, and as I was packing up they came over to tell me how much they liked the show.

Sometimes I want the excitement of the Shockwave, Supersonic, or Blast.  Other times the control of the 1.5 and 1.  For show, I'll put out my stack of Rev 2's.

AAAAAH.  Just 4 weeks from tomorrow and I'll be back at the beach for a few days.  Can't wait to decide what order to pull them out of the bag.......

Doug

Hello Family I was just thinking that long before I worked at Rev I had pretty much every kite plus a stack of 15 custom 1.5s and it all depended on how I was feeling that day. These days its mostly Rev 1s or my 2-4 but they all help me to escape the presure of the job and Ill tell you that any Rev will but a smile on my face............. 8) Ben

Just one more???  How could I limit myself like that?  

I have lots of Rev's and what I fly does depend on the wind and my mood.  It's nice to have multiple color choices also and backup kites if something breaks.  

I have never said "just one more," because I know that there are many more to buy.  

Have fun -- get several.   :D  :wink:

I am a Rev I flier! That admitted I can look for a cure. I find myself trying to fly each and every one of my Rev kites whenever I go find some wind. Obviously some fly better under differing conditions but thats no reason not to try.I continue to buy more kites because each one provides me with with a separate experience and it's the experience of flying that I seek.Today I will proudly fly my newest purchase, the patriotic Rev I (#13 ) and it will be another new experience for me. I still have a list of revs that I "need" to purchase and I look forward to flying each or them.  Happy 4th!! Steven T.

I am a Rev I flier! That admitted I can look for a cure. I find myself trying to fly each and every one of my Rev kites whenever I go find some wind. Obviously some fly better under differing conditions but thats no reason not to try.I continue to buy more kites because each one provides me with with a separate experience and it's the experience of flying that I seek.Today I will proudly fly my newest purchase, the patriotic Rev I (#13 ) and it will be another new experience for me. I still have a list of revs that I "need" to purchase and I look forward to flying each or them.  Happy 4th!! Steven T.