Revolution Event 2008

Felix

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Point of all this was, ground crew - do we have a set of standard signals?

So when it does go wrong, and it will with 50 plus kites in the air ;-)

ie, Hand up, I need help, point left move kite left, point right kite right.

hands pushing towards ground = kill kite so it wont accidently launch

any others we should get? or what about radios? - just for the ground crew?

So what do our 'ground crew volunteers' think?

Let's get this sorted...

As a "salt of the earth stewardess" (aka ground crew) I would agree with John that a pre-meet would be appropriate. Trying to coordinate any more than the basics amongst a geographically disparate group IMHO would lead to more confusion than benefit - KISS

Having said that, a bit of guidance about what areas the ground crew will need to cover off would probably be helpful Felix. Just in general terms, so that we know what we have let ourselves in for.

I’m with Sailor on this, we need to keep it simple but we will need a briefing and some clearly defined rules of engagement.

As for language barriers, I don’t se that being a major problem with ground crew, are there any language barriers in sign?

As far as the ground crew bit go's, simpler the better for me. Cuz I am just a simple sort of chap.

All I need to know is what time I need to be there.

Where do I have to stand to look my best.

We are not going to need to do much cuz all the fliers are the tops.

All we have to do is let them (fliers) make us (ground crew) look good.

Course we will have to go to a briefing just to make it look like we are dooing summat!!

Dear Félix !!!!!!

Sorry for late answer !!!! i m very busy with my new job .........

i get a mail from hans (team 4 fun), he send me a file with the team name which are coming to rev kite event this year for the 20 th birthday !!!!!!!!

our team is in the list for bristol and portsmouth kite festivals , however they write just my surname . here are the names of our team for those 2 events :

Portsmouth:

Damien Gallibour

Fabrice Baldan

Maxime Bouquet

Denis Placet

Bristol;

Damien Gallibour

Fabrice Baldan

Maxime Bouquet

Denis Placet

Ronan Saunier

I hope you should do something to put names in the list .....

best regards !!!!!!

Damien

Dear Félix !!!!!!

i get a mail from hans (team 4 fun), he send me a file with the team name which are coming to rev kite event this year for the 20 th birthday !!!!!!!!

our team is in the list for bristol and portsmouth kite festivals , however they write just my surname . here are the names of our team for those 2 events :

Portsmouth:

Damien Gallibour

Fabrice Baldan

Maxime Bouquet

Denis Placet

Bristol;

Damien Gallibour

Fabrice Baldan

Maxime Bouquet

Denis Placet

Ronan Saunier

best regards !!!!!!

Damien

OK I'll bid for a 'silly post'.

I just located a Fax message to J. Hadzicki dated 3rd August 1993 suggesting 20 Rev fliers forming a rectangle on the ground. (Five fliers on each side?) This followed on from drawings envisaging 16 fliers in a grid and how they might 'walk into' the formation.

I might just scan the pages and put them somewhere accessible!

Felix

Dear Félix !!!!!!

<snip>

best regards !!!!!!

Damien

Dear Damien,

I have ammended the list. Thank you very much.

I will post the up-to-date version soon. The usual disclaimers apply, as ever...

Best wishes

Felix

As far as the ground crew bit go's, simpler the better for me. Cuz I am just a simple sort of chap.

All I need to know is what time I need to be there.

Where do I have to stand to look my best.

We are not going to need to do much cuz all the fliers are the tops.

All we have to do is let them (fliers) make us (ground crew) look good.

Course we will have to go to a briefing just to make it look like we are dooing summat!!

All being well we will have opportunities between now and the main events to find out what we might need. At Portsmouth and Bristol we should have a dedicated flying area and so should have plenty of flying time/opportunity to see what happens if and when things go wrong. In my experience the more 'knowing hands' available, the better.

This is obviously an appropriate place to discuss what is needed and closer to the events the time that we will be starting. I suspect that we will all be on site ready to go by 10:00am every morning given the opportunity to be involved in such an 'interesting' project! Who would want to let their team down in such circumstances?

I am very grateful to those people who have said that they would be available to 'ground crew'. In my view they will be participating in the event and I hope that others will recognise this potentially valuable contribution!

Felix

I am very grateful to those people who have said that they would be available to 'ground crew'. In my view they will be participating in the event and I hope that others will recognise this potentially valuable contribution!

Very nicely put, if you don't mind me saying so. Thank you Felix.

I agree, just being "inside " the tape on that day will be something that stays with us all for a very long time. We are all a team, and I have a sneaking feeling by Portsmouth Sailor will be up for flying rather than being crew. I also think there will be a change over as the flyers practice at both events. I for one would be happy to crew for Jim Hadzicki :blue_wink: on the anniversary of his kite :blue_wink:

Very nicely put, if you don't mind me saying so. Thank you Felix.

Maybe it is a typo, should read trainer not trainee B)

Hah, but I've always maintained that one carries on learning and that is certainly what gets me out to Blackheath on a Sunday morning for an hour or so, solo flying <grins>

Best wishes

Felix

PS While I am about it here is the latest copy of the list. FJM

(Updated 19/02/2008 see later post)

Hi all,

Just a quick update from us here at the Bristol Kite Festival…

We are very excited, along with the Portsmouth Festival, to be part of Rev's 20th birthday celebrations! We can offer a warm welcome, a dedicated flying arena, a large and enthusiastic crowd and a bit of a party!

However, the budget for the Festival is extremely tight so we cannot, at this time, offer any financial assistance to flyers. But we will be fundraising in the run-up to the Festival and over the Festival weekend to help contribute to the celebration (for instance, we would like to offer every participating Rev team a ticket to the Saturday night meal & party). We will also help with the logistical side of things, like arranging discounted bookings at local hotels and nearby camping (and putting on some transportation to site). All information will be posted on the Rev pages of the Festival website, www.kite-festival.org.uk (initial accommodation info will be up by Monday, 18 Feb)

Other things in the pipeline…we are planning a Friday (29th Aug) night 'welcome' and special Rev auction, open to all. If you have any Rev memorabilia etc that you would like to donate to the auction, please email us with a brief description/image of the item ([email protected]). More information about the auction and a list of items will be available on the Festival website, www.kite-festival.org.uk, as they become available. We're also looking into the possibility of online bids for those of you who cannot join us and with linking in with the forum. (All money raised at the auction will help to cover the celebration costs.)

And don't forget the birthday cake on Saturday night, courtesy of Drachen!

We look forward to seeing you in August!

All the best,

Lynn and Avril

Hi all,

And don't forget the birthday cake on Saturday night, courtesy of Drachen!

All the best,

Lynn and Avril

FREE CAKE! Avril, book me a seat I'll be there. Not too much marzipan on the cake though please. The Saturday night parties at Bristol are worth going to on their own. A whole evening for Revs!!!!!!!!! I had better start saving my pennies.

Seriously though this is sounding great. The Rev auction sounds like a real must attend event for those amungst us that are little obssessed with Revs. I particulary like the chance of an online auction. Are there any ideas yet on what hot items may be coming up.

Also, a question to the masses, what would you like to see at the auction? Aside from kites, thsirts etc, do you think anyone would pay for a flight with one of the big teams? How about a bespoke routine written for you by one of the teams? You must have some better ideas than these. Come on guys let us know so that we can raise as much money as possible to get as many fliers at the events as possible.

Yours excitedly

Stephen :blue-grin:

FREE CAKE! [...]

Yours excitedly

Stephen :blue-grin:

Now we all know *how* to persuade Stephen :lol:

Cake my favourite kind of food.

What is the protocal/etiquette on these kind of evening events ?

Is it like a members only 'club' ?

Can anyone just turn up, or do you require a pass/ticket ?

curiously yours

We thought we would also post an update for Portsmouth.

As with Bristol we are looking forward to the event and can confirm that we have arranged a dedicated flying arena for the Revs - although we also want some demo arena slots from you - plus you can join in with the BBQ and small auction on the Saturday.

As with all major kite festivals budgets are always limited. We have spread the money as well as we can - those who have not heard from us (the emails went today to most of the people who said they are coming!) we can only say sorry - we can still offer the BBQ and lunches to the participating Rev Team fliers - but you need to tell us by email.

All the kitefliers stay in the same place - The University of Portsmouth Halls of Residence - Rees Hall. For those who want to make their own bookings the details are - information online at www.port.ac.uk/holidays or call their office on 023 9284 4884 - prices, single - £34.00 and double - £49.00. Of course there are a number of cheaper options - www.visitportsmouth.co.uk for more info.

Any questions please email us - [email protected].

We look forward to seeing you

Gill and Jon

We thought we would also post an update for Portsmouth.

<snip>

We look forward to seeing you

Gill and Jon

I would like to thank both festival organisations for their involvement in this project.

The provision of a dedicated area at both events will give us every opportunity to prepare for the formal arena presentations.

I hope that some of the fliers will be able to meet at events in the meantime and explore the possibilities of the large team format. Valencia and Berck are on the horizon. Would there be a possibility of a Blackheath meet ahead of those events; early March maybe?

Best wishes

Felix

Portsmouth/Bristol

Please could those teams/individuals that are in a position to confirm their attendance at the events please let me know so that I can mark the list accordingly.

It would be good to know who will be at Valencia/Berck/Uchinada and following festivals as well.

Thanks

Felix

Felix I will definatly be at Blackheath whenever you want, will be going to Bristol one way or other, don't know if I'm up to the standard required for team flying though, maybe we could meet up the heath one sunday if your not too busy and judge for yourself, any tips would of course be greatly recieved.

Jade

Jad, you'll likely find Rev team flying to be very forgiving... If you're flying with 2-3 other accomplished fliers, it's pretty hard to take anyone out.

I've found it to be the most friendly and stimulating place to learn more kite skills of anything I've tried. ;)

Going back to Stephens offer of a routine, just a warning here people - make sure YOU make the music choice !!! I've never met anyone with such a strange collection of CD's (Well other than, Me, TC, Geoff & Steve) thank goodness he married Susan!! 2 reasons she has much better taste in music, and the other its not right for a man to have that much show tunes in his collection.

As for etiquette, there will often be an "invited flyers guests event" The organiser will normally contact the team captains/leaders and provide a limited number of tickets / invites for the BBQ or whatever. If you are an Indi flyer, then again if invited you will already know. If you do a demo spot then the organiser may provide tickets based on this. Or you may get an invite to the next festival, which leads to the invite to the evening DO. You will find that all flyers have done the apprentiship.