Rev training day in the UK

Stephen Hoath

From reading all that's gone before, the best for me would be one meet in Ainsdale - sounds great for facilities and stuff. The thought of a pretty small number of people and the fantastic newbie-to-superstar ratio sounds fantastic - BOUND to be a help to us all (newbies that is - it'll be a nightmare for you good uns, Ha ha!).

Having said all that, I fully understand that most people have rather more committments than I do, being single and mobile, so I'll seriously consider any format/location that suits most people. :kid_smartass:

Fraser.

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could make the 10h 11th by the looks of it at the moment. Cant make the later weekend. Would LOVE it to be on my doorstep but I think that the main thing is that there is some wind!!!

Would this mean that a coastal spot would be better than an inland spot?

I dont get to fly at the coast much but I know the wind inland can be a bit unreliable??

If I miss this one hopefully I will be able to make the next, then Fraser will be an expert and able to teach me.

Ok Ive been told its an odd call to want everyone together for the full weekend rather than a two stage weekend!

but i reckon if we could all get together in one place for the full weekend, it would be nice to eat together/ drink dirty beer together and then fly the next day together? theres nothing more bonding than sharing a beer! So we could all fly together, then camp over be it caravan or tent, stage a massive full on communal bbq and get everyone fed and beered for the full on laugh of it, all together. Then get the kites up in the air complete with lights, just for the sheer ducking fun of it, and for the fun of being that little bit daft! Lets play!

Then get up early, shake of the cobwebs and get on with some serious rev flying, putting into practise what we have learnt off the masters the day before.

Proper make a weekend of it, im prepared to travel for it.

However - AINSDALE ALL THE WAY! lets rock and roll chaps!

Luton sounds good to us, Bristol area would be ok too. Ainsdale sounds superb but the 12 hour round trip knocks it on the head for us.

I dont mind much what the wind is like, the wind aint that reliable near the east coast Baloo, we get plenty of turbulent wind here.

Dates are good and ok with a one or two day event, during both November and February the days are short so two days would allow us more chance to achieve something.

As for the programme, I am happy to go along with whatever is decided.

I have third party cover for kite flying.

One point that might be relevant is required kit, I normally fly on 100ft lines, if team flying is a possibility then do we need to have a standard line length.

Nah, you missed the point Clare, it would be good to all meet up at once if possible but if it is to be a double event then why not rock up to both? You get to have twice as much of everything, tuition, flying, fun, and even twice as much beer.

Fraser, single and mobile, course you are, you live in a Taxi don't you? :P

Okay, right, it’s time to throw my hat into the ring. For reasons best known to myself, (and Stephen who I have already spoken to) I have tried to stay out of this debate but I think the time has now come to say something.

Date wise we are currently looking at either November or February and people are still talking about camping. Now call me a southern softie if you like but isn’t that a tad ambitious? I must admit I’m not a camper but I wouldn’t think you can just pitch your tent on a beach somewhere and not fall foul of some regulation or by-law and will official camp sites be open in winter?

Ainsdale sounds great for facilities, I have long wanted the opportunity to fly on a beach but there are I think problems with it being in the North West. We are looking at winter dates and the further north we go the shorter the winter days get and I won’t even mention the cold, ‘cos as the Big Yin says, “there’s no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes”.

At this point I think it is only fair that I declare a special interest. The reason I have chosen to stay out of this discussion for so long is that, like Stephen, I also live in Bedfordshire, my “home field” is Dunstable Downs, and I am fortunate enough to be able to call several of the UK’s top Rev flyers friends, at least three of whom also fly regularly at Dunstable. Whilst I am as keen to learn from Stephen as the rest of you, I am not exactly short of expert guidance and for that reason I had thought it would be selfish to attempt to influence the debate while there are clearly many of you out there in far greater need working away alone.

Stephen has suggested Stopsley Park but his suggestion has largely been ignored. So far, I don’t think anybody has mentioned Stephen’s costs and the costs of those top flyers who have offered their support, they have to be considered especially if this turns out to be a double event. Stephen had initially offered “a weekend” that has now escalated to two. I think we have to take a closer look at Stephen’s suggestion.

Stephen has already sung the praises of the site:-

We have a venue called Stopsley Park which is a massive field used for football and rugby etc which is near Luton which is an Easy Jet airport and just off the M1 with good toilet facilities. (that's Stopsley not the M1)
What he hasn’t said is that ths is a site he often uses for Flying Squad meetings, several of the people Stephen is likely to be calling on for help live within an hour of the site and I believe another who has already offered help has family close by, it has to be a strong contender.

We have also been asked to consider the insurance implications. I appreciate that what we do, is not exactly a high risk sport but half a pound or so of ripstop and carbon fibre travelling at 15 or 20mph is going to sting a bit if it hits somebody. I know we all take what care we can to avoid accidents but it only takes one numpty to not be looking where he’s going and any of us could be looking a very expensive law suit. Now whilst as individuals you may be prepared to take that risk, what we have to bear in mind is that if something goes wrong and somebody isn’t covered, some smart ass lawyer may consider Stephen to be an event organiser and as such responsible. I think we all owe it to him to make sure we are covered. I believe many household policies offer limited Personal Liability cover but to be on the safe side I have taken out Stack membership. Although I have no intention of ever competing, for £17 a year I get public liability insurance, a small price to pay for a years peace of mind.

Date wise my suggestions would be the 10/11 November or 17/18 November (I am busy up until then) or a weekend in February. Either way, the weather is going to be a consideration and influence what can be achieved.

So, get back to me.

:blue-cool:

All sounds good to me. Where ever and whenever is fine.

Just a suggestion. When I travel I generally use Travel Lodge for accommodation. Travel Travel Lodge do special rates for booking in advance. Generally £26 at weekends. As an example, for the Bristol Festival we stayed at Aust for £26 per night. The local pub restaurant in Aust was excellent. There are several Travel Lodges with a max 20 miles from the venues mentioned.

Well all this is just a wish for me now.

Just been blown out of the sky, my wife has arranged something for the 10th and it would be unwise of me not to go to it. She never gives me hassle about flying and actually encoursges me to on days when I normally wouldnt.

Would not be fair of me not to support her.

Hope it all works well, and see you next time hopefully.

Well all this is just a wish for me now.

Just been blown out of the sky, my wife has arranged something for the 10th and it would be unwise of me not to go to it. She never gives me hassle about flying and actually encoursges me to on days when I normally wouldnt.

Would not be fair of me not to support her.

Hope it all works well, and see you next time hopefully.

That's the Bad Angel for your 'Livin' in a Taxi' and 'Fraser'll be an Expert' comments! :kid_devlish:

Fraser you cut me to the quick. I didnt make the comment about you living in a Taxi, it was Bruce.

I did think you lived in one though.

And of course you will be an expert if you can go to the UK Rev day.

I am an upset little bear now.

Just hope that all who can make it have a spiffing time. I am sure you will having met Stephen, salt of the Earth I would say, not like that horrible Fraser chap!! Casting Nastercians (? spelling supposed to be the flower) at me.

Fraser you cut me to the quick. I didnt make the comment about you living in a Taxi, it was Bruce.

I did think you lived in one though.

And of course you will be an expert if you can go to the UK Rev day.

I am an upset little bear now.

Just hope that all who can make it have a spiffing time. I am sure you will having met Stephen, salt of the Earth I would say, not like that horrible Fraser chap!! Casting Nastercians (? spelling supposed to be the flower) at me.

:kid_devlish:

• 4 weeks later...
If you think illustrating safety will be an issue, you might consider having a couple of the fliers take shifts watching everyone else fly, and policing safety on the field.

Depending on the final decisions re location, it may also be possible to get permission of the owners of the spot, council or whatever to put up some sort of arena type thing and a couple of warning signs for other members of the public - just a thought.

If you think illustrating safety will be an issue, you might consider having a couple of the fliers take shifts watching everyone else fly, and policing safety on the field.
To be honest, no, I don’t think safety is a serious issue but insurance is. No matter what we do to reduce any risk we can never totally eliminate it. You wouldn’t run a kite festival without adequate insurance and what we are trying to arrange here is getting awfully close to the limit of what could be described as “an informal gathering of friends”. I think we all owe it to ourselves and Stephen to make sure we are covered.
Any News Stephen,are we good to go :) .
I have no authority to speak on Stephen’s behalf but I spoke to him last Sunday and I do know he has been rather heavily committed these last few weeks and that he will be out the loop for a few more days, but don’t worry this project is not dead in the water it is still on his “to do list”.

Watch this space, he has not forgotten us.

Proof of Insurance should be a requirement for all.

NO INSURANCE ,NO PLAY.No ifs, buts or excuses.

I know the guys i fly with are insured and so am i.Its foolish not to be.Not just for a one off fky with mates.For everything you do involveing a kite.

BRIAN...

Any News Stephen,are we good to go :) .

BRIAN...

Hello all, sorry for the lack of visible movement on this. I have been doing somo planning and looking at logistics etc. oy yeah and I was away at my favourite kite festival in Taiwan :kid_devlish:

I am only in the UK today and tomorrow and then off to Frejus. (life is tough sometimes)

As soon as I get back I will firm up details. In the meantime it looks as though the most practicle solution to this event is to run two days, one on the west coast and one in the east.

I really need to get a firm idea of numbers and then I will email everyone directly with further details, so if I don't have your email address and you want to come along, PM me here ASAP.

More later

Stephen

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I am back in the country now and am back on UK time zone (it took a while this time :wacko: )

I have been looking at this and having considered all the opinions and looked at the practicalities, two events are the way to go.

So, the plan is to have a fly/meet on the beack at Ainsdale either 17/18 November or the 24/25 November (please express a preference) and a second fly/meet day at Stopsley (Luton) around 19/20 January (or in February if the need arises)

What I need is firm commitments now from people (PM please) so I know it is worth driving up to the grim North ;)

For the fly-in next year, if there is sufficient demand we can find a different location, but I know the field at Stopsley (it is huge and there are good toilets)

I look forward to hearing from you all.

Can I make sure I have this right, Ainsdale is just above Liverpool?? Or is there a different Ainsdale.

Looks like I could make the weekend of 24/25 November if I can sort somewhere out to stay.

Obviously if more are in favour of the earlier weekend I will have to see if I can make Stopsley.

Looka as if bothe would take me around the same amount of time.