Rev training day in the UK

Stephen Hoath

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some fantastic pics!

Still photos make me look almost like I can fly this kite! So deceptive!

If anyone has any more pics can you please e mail them to me or let me have the links to hosting sites etc? Even if you dont think they are any good? My camera is broken and I have none of my own!

So, I didn't sleep too well last night because I kept thinking about all the great things everyone achieved at the weekend and about how to make the experience even better when we do another Rev day early next year.

I hope some of the other guys will write a brief report of the event but here are few highligts from me:

I was impressed by the attitude of everyone there. I was a cold weekend but I didn't hear a single complaint the entire weekend. Everyone worked really hard and I was constantly having to move onto the next level of difficulty becuase everyone was progressing faster than I had thought possible.

Dave, Brian and Steve had done a fair bit of team flying before and it was clear from their general flying. They have some great ideas and will certainly give The Flying Squad some competition if they continue to progress at such a prodigious rate that we saw this weekend. Some times flying in isolation means that you come up with something new and original and this is something I saw in the routine they showed me.

Kite Jan is a very skilled individual flier and does some of the flattest axles I have seen (what's worse is that they were with my kite!) Jan wanted to have a go at team flying and was up there with the others within a very short time frame. I hope that he will be able to take his new found experience and persuade a few more Rev guys from his neck of the woods to have a go at team flying.

Clare (I'll put the kettle on) had one of the steepest learning curves of the weekend. A very new flyer who wanted to improve her individual skills a little but was flying in a six person team by the end of the day. (ps thanks for the tea)

Fraser drove down from Scotland for the day and proceeded to fly pretty much non stop until it got dark. Fraser is a natural flier and responded really well to suggestioins on how to fly more and more complex figures. By the end of the day Fraser was able to hover upside down pretty much as he wanted. No small achievement in the limited time available.

Andy again made some significant progress in individual skills and is another natural flier. Very laid back and takes everything in his stride.

Daniel moved onto extended handles and made some real stides into understanding how to make the kite do what he wants rather than reacting to what the kite does. (not bad for a 5yr old)

And finally Susan made a commanding team leader as she practised calling for the six person team. This is the first time she has done this and it was a challenge to think about your own kite, where everyone else is, what the next move is etc.

Basically I am really proud of everyone who went and can't wait to get started planning the next weekend.

Many thanks.

Stephen

post-27-1195468701_thumb.jpg

post-27-1195468727_thumb.jpg

post-27-1195468768_thumb.jpg

post-27-1195468787_thumb.jpg

post-27-1195468813_thumb.jpg

I was thinking of you all when it started to Snow here on Sunday. Looking out the window still have a good covering.

Typical I had Friday and Today off but couldn't get the weehend off to join you.

Even more envious now I see the pictures. Well done all.

Still photos make me look almost like I can fly this kite! So deceptive!

So does the short video I took on Sunday when you were flying as a trio. I think, in short, it means you CAN fly that kite.

If I get time I will sort something out with the video.

Jan

Fraser drove down from Scotland for the day and proceeded to fly pretty much non stop until it got dark. Fraser is a natural flier and responded really well to suggestioins on how to fly more and more complex figures. By the end of the day Fraser was able to hover upside down pretty much as he wanted. No small achievement in the limited time available.

Congratulations mate :rainbowwave:

I remember, not too long ago, you thought I was crazy when I asked if you could do that. :clap2:

HO WE SURE DID GARY,

The Revalations chaps did themselves proud.The commitment is nothing short of MARVELOUS REALY.

I was up at 5am,both days and went home after 5pm.We are all buisy guys in the week.With Familys and heavy workloads.I know Dave B and myself do around 60hr weeks and Steve has a Huge Family and alot to handle.,Jan came from Sheffield both days.Lets not forget also.We are flying on a northern beech in November in all weathers.Its hardly a BOUNTY advert off the Tele we are flying at......

Its a pitty you Southern Softies were all washing yr Hair :P or it was BATH night :lol:;) .You did miss a great couple of days though.We cant wait to come and swell the ranks at your place SOON.

ttfn

BRIAN...

HO WE SURE DID GARY,

The Revalations chaps did themselves proud.The commitment is nothing short of MARVELOUS REALY.

I was up at 5am,both days and went home after 5pm.We are all buisy guys in the week.With Familys and heavy workloads.I know Dave B and myself do around 60hr weeks and Steve has a Huge Family and alot to handle.,Jan came from Sheffield both days.Lets not forget also.We are flying on a northern beech in November in all weathers.Its hardly a BOUNTY advert off the Tele we are flying at......

Its a pitty you Southern Softies were all washing yr Hair :P or it was BATH night :lol:;) .You did miss a great couple of days though.We cant wait to come and swell the ranks at your place SOON.

ttfn

BRIAN...

Well it was not the best of weekends (rain n snow) :P lol he he it will be good to see ya all down here after xmas ( I wish I had hair to wash)

Stephen is clear with his new baby or ?

BigBri is in the front.

Who is who in the rest of the picture?

left to right you have;

Steve (Pudsli), Dave (Dave B), Jan (Kitejan), Steven and half of family, Bri (Big Bri - kneeling), Andy (Andy L), Clare (me!).

Stephen is clear with his new baby or ?

BigBri is in the front.

Who is who in the rest of the picture?

Not forgetting my Baby.The real Love of my life or one of um[im that type of guy]

My Purple B Series :kid_devlish: .

I did take a full team picky[or a freind did] and posted it early in the thread John.Dave we call the Dark Lord.He is to blame for me and Steve starting to fly Revs.Handy when the Wife gets on my case,Blame The Dark Lord everytime,

Thats my Black and lime in the background.I had it on 150ft lines....Kewl

Not forgetting my Baby.The real Love of my life or one of um[im that type of guy]

My Purple B Series :kid_devlish: .

I did take a full team picky[or a freind did] and posted it early in the thread John.Dave we call the Dark Lord.He is to blame for me and Steve starting to fly Revs.Handy when the Wife gets on my case,Blame The Dark Lord everytime,

Thats my Black and lime in the background.I had it on 150ft lines....Kewl

Some how I overlooked your photo with names. Thanks very much.

I was beginning to believe Suzanne and Stephen had added to their family and did not let us know. Both are excellent competition judges and in the teaching of quads and judging.

Congratulations mate :rainbowwave:

I remember, not too long ago, you thought I was crazy when I asked if you could do that. :clap2:

Ha ha! Thank you Bob. I really was beginning to wonder just how I would get it (though Stephen's being rather generous with his 'Fraser can hover upside down pretty much as he wants' comment... LOL). To my amazement, it was Stephen's suggestion that I think of upside-down as 'vertical-but-over-a-bit' that did the trick! Still can't believe it's that simple, but hey - it pretty much works, so that'll do for me.

All-in-all, a fine experience. I only wish that circumstances hadn't conspired to make attending only on Saturday the only real option. I'll certainly do my damnedest not to miss any future such meets. Thanks again ALL concerned - it was a pleasure.

Ha ha! Thank you Bob. I really was beginning to wonder just how I would get it (though Stephen's being rather generous with his 'Fraser can hover upside down pretty much as he wants' comment... LOL). To my amazement, it was Stephen's suggestion that I think of upside-down as 'vertical-but-over-a-bit' that did the trick! Still can't believe it's that simple, but hey - it pretty much works, so that'll do for me.

All-in-all, a fine experience. I only wish that circumstances hadn't conspired to make attending only on Saturday the only real option. I'll certainly do my damnedest not to miss any future such meets. Thanks again ALL concerned - it was a pleasure.

Okay. If it all falls into place for Stopsley in the new year my offer of a taxi from Luton airport still stands.