Laser Pro -- Where to buy?

rind

Question

4 answers to this question

many of us find Skybond to be a superior quad-line solution for outside, it is thinner, much more slippery and durability too, throw in the yellow coating on the surface and it''s a sure winner.  Flying Smiles Kites sells it, Cath/Eliot

Now if you wanted to fly indoors then LPG is a better solution, as it is much "stiffer" line, therefore won't snag as easily when big chunks of slack are dragging across the floor.  It's like flying on wires! Teresa (kite shoppe) and Dave (Kite connection) both sell LaserPro, heck they may be into Skybond as well  by now.

Hi, don't recall if I've already welcomed you. So many new flyers this year! If not, welcome to the forum.

You can buy bulk and tie them yourself. Two for the price of one, more or less. With pre-tied sets you're paying for materials and labor. I am particularly fond of Theresa's lines from The Kite Shoppe. She does a great job of pre-stretching them and uses thinner sleeving on the end loops which equals less drag when I fly SUL (super ultra light) kites in very light wind. Order online, or give her a call if you have questions.

I recommend LPG if you have little or no experience with flying duals or quads. The stiffness helps a lot on fields that aren't quite perfectly groomed, and have dandelions or other weeds that your lines can snag on. Very annoying when you are trying to learn to fly and one or more of your lines won't let go of the ground. I do like the Skybond in light wind, again because of reduced drag made possible by its smaller diameter, and also the additional amount of wraps possible when spinning the kite in one direction due to its slickness. I like the color/visibility too, but unfortunately it does fade rather quickly to a sickly shade of off-white. Durability is as good, or maybe even a little than LPG. The jury is still out on that one for me. I've only been using it, but not exclusively, for about two years. Paul (REVflyer) has more experience with it and I trust his opinion. He yanks, cranks and spanks his kites unbelievably (you're close enough, go fly with him), so if he says it's good, it's good.

So, like everything else in kiting and life, it's a compromise. You can't have both extremes at the same time, so you go with what suits the conditions you will encounter most frequently, unless you can afford both. Starting with one or the other and using one for a length of time will make it easy to tell the difference once you try the other -- we're talking like 100 hours of experience -- and you will instantly be able to tell which will be optimal in existing conditions.

If you have any problems getting it up (pun intended) sing out. We'll do what we can to help. Don't get frustrated if you have some difficulties along the way. Though it isn't rocket science (it's kite science), it's not as easy as the experienced flyers make it look. Most of us have at least hundreds if not thousands of hours of flight time, but we have all been right where you are at this point. We all survived the minor problems involved with flying a quad. You will too.

Smile, have fun and don't forget to breathe.

P.S. -- Do not purchase generic spectra line from or made in China. It is NOT even near the quality of LaserProGold or Shanti Skybond. It will only cause you grief when it begins to bind up after only four or five spins in the same direction, and wears out in one season.

Please remember, the string is like the tires on your souped-up sports car.  That darn thing is no fun to drive without traction and a flat is even worse, it won't even move.  Tires wear out, the harder you drive the quicker they need to be replaced.  Baby it around for an hour only on Sundays and if it's sunny?, it will last your entire lifetime.  Doing burn-outs and racing away from every intersection?  Then you'll need to order another set this summer.  Racing it around the track every day?  You better have extra sets of tires string with you at all times, as you might need it after lunch.

I replace 50#/100' flying lines at least there times per year (flying on it about ten hours per week, average), but I'm hard on jewelry punching stop signs, so imagine how a kite is treated by an abusive flailer.such as myself.  I am NOT a positive role model!

• Like 1