Reflex Handles

riffclown

Question

15 answers to this question

So I found a solution that meets my needs.. It was as simple as using the plastic strain relief washers off a mini blind... Quick tutorial takes about 5 minutes to fully implement and using things you probably already have handy (if you haven't already thrown them away.) .

Fixing Rev Reflex Handles

• Like 1

Are the bottoms being pulled inwards into the handle?

Not sure if similar construction to the Indoor handles but I had my leader pull through the plastic grommet. After threading back through, I tied a big (literally) knot just as the leader came out of the handle and now I attached my lines to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you tried contacting Lolly about them? Rev might have an answer or diagnosis or offer a replacement for them. I'd at least give them the opportunity to get involved in a solution.

I sent an email after the ODSKC but haven't heard back.. Not sure if it's making it through or not.

. I don't do Facebook. I do have other avenues though.. Pretty sure the dealer that got me the Reflex in the first place will work with me to replace the handles..

I'm also looking closely at the construction.. It seems a tapered washer instead of a flat one on the ends would get rid of the play and protect the internal cord. The flat one slides a bit on the ends of the tubing and the soft Neoprene caps allow the washers to slide. side-to-side.. Just tightening the internal cord won't get ride of the lateral movement.. I'll probably fabricate a fix since I do like these handles..

I would recommend getting some good old snagless handles and long leaders .........

Where would someone find these elusive 'snagless' handles? I wasn't impressed with the stock Reflex handles either. I bought some leaders from John B at Kitelife, but they are too long... There aren't enough knots on the top leaders close enough to the handles to be able to launch and fly. I had to revert back to the stock, 2 knot option... :(

Where would someone find these elusive 'snagless' handles? I wasn't impressed with the stock Reflex handles either. I bought some leaders from John B at Kitelife, but they are too long... There aren't enough knots on the top leaders close enough to the handles to be able to launch and fly. I had to revert back to the stock, 2 knot option... sad.png

Hi, SPIDER, and welcome to the forum.

The JB leaders are exactly what is necessary to fly with control and precision. Trust us all, you will eventually love them. When you first begin to fly Revs, or any quad-line kite, the tendency is to fly on the top knots that are close to the handles. This will only inhibit your ability to learn how to fly. I, and most others who fly Revs, use the last three or four knots furthest from the handles most of the time. For very light (2mph and under) I will use the furthest out. Although using the closest knots makes it easier to launch, it makes it harder to fly because the sail "spills" more wind than it uses. Try to launch on the knots furthest out. If you can't, bring them in one knot. Try again. Continue this process until you can. Each time out try it one knot further out. Trust me, in a few outings your lines will be at least 5 knots out. Watch the tutorial videos available on the KiteLife forum, especially the ones on Launch and Tuning.

Find an experienced pilot to fly with. There are tons near you; check the member map here and on KiteLife and get together with them. PM one or more of them closest to you. They won't bite; kite flyers are a friendly bunch, and love helping those who are starting out.

Most importantly, have fun, smile and don't forget to breathe.

P.S. -- The snagless handles are available from Rev, and/or custom-made. The standard Rev handles can be converted. Check topics on the forums using the key words "snagless" and "handles".

Thanks Mark! I think the problem with the leaders is the way I rigged them to the existing knotted lines under the rubber boots. It made the leaders way too long, maybe... I read the whole topic about tuning leaders on Kitelife, started with the knot all the way at the end and worked my way in. The kite would literally do nothing even on the last knot and with the brake let all the way out with the top and bottom lines touching... :/ I had to revert to the stock knot closest to the handle which was about 2 inches away from the last knot on the other leader. Maybe I just need some lessons, lol :)

Thanks Mark! I think the problem with the leaders is the way I rigged them to the existing knotted lines under the rubber boots. It made the leaders way too long, maybe... I read the whole topic about tuning leaders on Kitelife, started with the knot all the way at the end and worked my way in. The kite would literally do nothing even on the last knot and with the brake let all the way out with the top and bottom lines touching... :/ I had to revert to the stock knot closest to the handle which was about 2 inches away from the last knot on the other leader. Maybe I just need some lessons, lol smile.png

You added JB's leaders to the Reflex leaders?? That would be way too long. With snagless or even stock handles - JB's would be all you would need by themselves. As Mark said, most of us find a sweet spot out near the end, just a few knots in from the end.