Club 38

frob

Question

I'd classify myself as a beginner/intermediate flier and I just received my 3rd sail. (A full-vent so I can fly on windier days.) In the package was an insert for "Club 38". On the web site it says the program is new, launched six days ago with "Launching Soon! Contact us with questions" as the announcement.

It looks like:

* Instructional movies for standard flight moves. (Seemingly not as well-done as the KiteLife videos and the various tutorials on YouTube.)

* T-shirt with logo

* Series of patches

* Pin upon completion

I'm curious what the 38 skill videos are supposed to cover, as the first six are the basic skills of set up, launch/land, and turn/stop. Are the remaining 32 anything more than already covered in the Techniques and Team Flying sections? I'm curious, but not $50 worth of curious.

My question big is: Beyond the branded shirt/patches/pin, what does Club 38 get for me as someone with somewhat over a hundred hours of flight time already comfortable with flying?

13 answers to this question

I've been trying to get more information for a couple of weeks now. No answer to email or posts (comments) to the Facebook page. Seems like Club 38 is for a hand-picked elite and not us regular fliers. Not ready to part with $50.00 before knowing more either.

Don't get me wrong, it could very well offer something valuable.

I can comfortably fly but by no means are my skills advanced or expert. It's just there is a difference if the course covers 38 skills and I'm already comfortable with 35 of them versus if I'm already comfortable with 17 of them.

It would be useful if there were a list of what it covered, some description of what the 38 items are, what is covered in the courses beyond the ad's hype of "levels only pros have achieved!" What does that even mean? When I'm done I will have mastered the group fly manuals? When I'm done I'll be at a level to join a semi-professional demo team? When I'm done I'll be ready to compete in international competitions? When I'm done people will know my name and fly me around the globe to major events like Barresi and Bazzer? (That would be well worth the investment.) A list of the 38 skills would help in that regard.

There's also the vague discounts on merchandise, which may just mean more branded shirts or it may mean something I'm actually inclined to buy. It would really be nice to know. Sure, publishing it means some people will spend the money just so they can get a discount, but it is still important to know what is in the package.

It might have something good and useful, or it might not. I'm just hoping to know what is in the package before buying.

Hello, I'm also interested in learning more about Club 38.

I have basic/intermediate knowledge on how to fly, but what if I get to a spot or level I just can't complete, will someone be around to teach you the levels you have no shot at learning on your own?

I would also like to know what is the moves or lessons that I'm going to learn to take my flying to pro level.

I understand line management, setting up to fly, wind window, wind speed, take off, hover, dive stop, bicycles, and some reverse flight skills.

I have trouble with over-steer, and the more advanced moves like, body mechanics, axel, float, and kite control

More information on Club 38 is needed.

I've been trying to get more information for a couple of weeks now. No answer to email or posts (comments) to the Facebook page. Seems like Club 38 is for a hand-picked elite and not us regular fliers. Not ready to part with $50.00 before knowing more either.

Yup, I've responded to Rev Tweets with questions with no answer. I don't let Facebook use me so I appreciate your post letting me know Rev handles FB the same as Twitter and THEIR forums.

What's worse than a company not using social media/forums... a company that does but won't interact. It's pretty frikken frustrating.

I have logged into and viewed Level 1, which consists of basic setup, launch, turn and land. I have been flying for seven years, so for me nothing interesting will happen until the upper levels, and I won't receive the login password until after I send video of completing level one. For a total novice the completion of the first four or five levels, I imagine, would be a good way to learn all the basic manouevres.

I don't know if there is any way to "proficiency out" of the first two or three levels if one is already beyond the intermediate stages. It will be pretty boring until the upper levels I assume.

• Like 2

Thanks for the update!

Those sound like the same six that were linked to with the new kite's QR code, mentioned back in post #1 above. Setup, launch, left/right, back down, land, turn over on ground, and a request to send in a video demonstrating the in-air skills. Basically the minimum essentials to learning to fly so you don't feel like you just wasted a few hundred dollars.

I'm still thinking they took the Techniques Manual (now moved here), added a few (e.g. setup) and split some apart (Technique #1 becomes launch, forward flight, back down, and land) and all total call it 38 skills. Some could be broken down into several lessons. The Clock may become four skills of Left, Right, Up, and Down, another skill of maintaining altitude during each with a corresponding tug, and another skill of putting them all together into a smooth rotation.

I'd still REALLY prefer one of the official rev people to chime in with the actual skills, as requested several times here, so we don't need to wait for you to become a kite guru ahead of us. :)

I watched the Level 2 videos. No, I did not complete Level 1 yet. It's pretty easy to figure out the password for Level 2 if you watch Level 1. I haven't figured out the subsequent passwords yet, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

The thing I have noticed is that the written description in both levels of the skills does not match the video it describes, which leads to some confusion about the exact sequence of moves that one should submit in the video required to earn the pin for that skill level. For instance, the written description says "spin 360 left, spin 360 right", which in the video is shown as a 360 to the right and a 540 to the left. There are multiple inconsistencies in the written and visual in both skill levels. This may be intentional, as we all know how difficult it is at the beginning to be consistent with the execution of any move, and the intent may be to merely verify the ability to accomplish it without losing control. Most probably, subsequent levels will require a higher degree of precision.

We'll see.

It would also be nice if Rev could keep (and show) a list of members and the level each has achieved. A bit of extra bookkeeping, but not arduous.

• Like 1

We fly with Dutch, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Danish....etc. fliers so of course there is different naming and terminology. Why should any one language have hegemony? The basic principles are 'physics' not terminology.

Lighten up please.

I really enjoyed the challenge of learning how to fly a 4 line kite soon after taking on the similar challenge of learning how to fly a single line fighter kite. That was in 1987 - 1989...

Felix