Rev Reflex (Video and First Impressions)

riffclown

The Rev Reflex is a different animal indeed. The Springs do change the wing shape and dead launch from face down is almost as easy as a standard reverse launch. The springs did however also change some of the responsiveness in the very light wind conditions.. When step accelerating a dive, you have the load the wing with a heavier hand at each step and plan again for loading the wing with the dive stop. It's almost like a delayed reaction. I like the larger size but, dislike that I don't have multiple frame options and interchangeability with the other Revs. This kite does makes a big difference at the edges.

Extreme edge of the window, the kite reacted differently than expected. My guess is I was at the point where the springs were trying to make it float but I was still able to give input via the lines.. Not necessarily a bad thing, just one aspect of this wing that I wasn't expecting. All in All a 5 star experience. This is a very forgiving kite that will make a difference in the novice flyer and intermediate flyer's hands. I can't speak for the Advanced Kiter or Professional's take, as I consider myself neither of those. Looking forward to more handle time with the Rev Reflex.

About the video.. Some raw footage of putting the Reflex through its paces. This was only my second flight with this kite and it DOES act differently than a typical Rev. I intentionally tried to destabilize the kite at the end and flew it well past apex.. It floated right back into the wind gracefully.

post-5546-0-27773800-1464486411_thumb.jpg

post-5546-0-87473000-1464486418_thumb.jpg

post-5546-0-74088600-1464486427_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I did get to try one out at the Rockaway Kite Festival in Oregon, this weekend on Sunday morning! I had put my SUL up on 85' of 50# lines, it was that low! A friend had a Reflex, so we swapped it out, using my lines and handles. It did fly very well in those conditions! Since it was someone else's kite, I did not try it minus the springs, or the dead launch, but my impression is that it makes a very respectable alternative to the Zen! I would have liked to set both up at the same time on identical setups and done a good head to head comparison, but ...! I did experience the overhead flight and glide to a downwind position - pretty cool. And with a little getting used to - you can turn it fairly quick, maybe not as fast or nimble as a 1.5, but every bit as quick as a Zen on a semi stock setup. (Again - practice and I use a hybrid frame and "magic sticks" on mine.

Alone, it stands on its own merits as a very capable flier!

• Like 1