Kite spinning

Nigel GF

Question

I recently bought a John Barresi 1.5 rev ,but the kite constantly will spin as soon as it is launched and is very difficult to control,I have been flying my Revolution 1.5 for a while now and don't have any trouble controlling it,the kite handles really well. but the JB version seems to be very uncontrollable when launched,is the something I am not doing right ? the JB version is very difficult to fly compared to the REV 1.5 and it is a very hard job to stop it getting out of control,it just seem to want to constantly spin.

13 answers to this question

A couple things to check:

1) Check that all four lines are exactly equal in length. Disconnect them from the handles and kite, stake one end firmly into the ground and then pull firmly on the other end and make sure they are all equal. Anything longer than 1/2" (about 1cm) should be corrected.

2) Check the kite and make sure that the bridle is not twisted around one of the end caps or twisted around itself, make sure that all bridle lines come straight off the kite without any tangles/snags.

3) Check the bridle itself. Check that the pigtail knots are correct and have not slipped. Check that all pig tails are the correct length, make sure that one of the down bridles is not accidently installed upside down. Easiest way to check this is to disconnect all bridle points from the end caps but leave the center connected. Then stretch the right bridle alongside the left bridle and make sure they are exactly even. Then check the down bridles and make sure they are all exactly the same as well (tops are equal, pigtails are exact, bottom attachment points are the same.

4) Check that the sail is not damaged / stretched improperly. Pull the frame out of the kite, fold the kite in half and check that the right side and left side are exactly equal in dimension.

Question: Did you purchase the kite new or used? Are you sure you have an authentic Revolution kite and not a knock-off? Post a picture if possible please.

Hope that helps!

Hi, Nigel. Yup, what he said.

It should fly like your other 1.5, with no issues. One other thing that would make it want to spin is a cracked/broken frame part. Pull the leading edge out of the kite and inspect it and the uprights carefully, by gently flexing and twisting. If you hear a crackle or see a split you will need to replace that section(s).

We could probably spot what's wrong if you post some detailed photos of the kite assembled.

Kent knows his Revs, so listen up on that! The only thing about checking the bridle down legs together, is learning the knot sequence to tie it back together (vertical legs to horizontal piece). Reattaching to the caps is pretty straight forward. Pretty sure Watty did a video of how to swap a bridle, you might use some of that info if you need to retie anything.

Hi Nigel,

All excellent advice given so far, now for my bit,

It might well be that the bridle is at fault, here is a link to a post that I

did covering this subject :-

http://www.revkites.com/forum/topic/6173-bridle-images/?hl=bridle

I am assuming that the B is new with lines and handles, so try your other set of lines and handles,

that will at least show if it is the kite or the lines!

If you were closer to me we could have met up and have it sorted pretty quickly.

Bill

Well I have looked at all the lines and frame,all seems ok, but will not fly properly the slightest movement on the handles it goes into non stop clockwise spin,and won't come out of the spin know matter what I do, the only way to stop it spinning is to land it.I have used the flying lines and handles on my Rev 1.5 and that fly's lovely,so must be the Kite itself,I am completely baffled,I suppose it doesn't help that I am not an experienced Rev Flyer.The Kite was bought from a GOKITES Revolution Kite dealer so it is a genuine John Barresi 1.5 Revolution Kite.(I had to wait 2 months for it). Is there anybody in the UK that I can send it too,so they can fly it and hopefully sort it out,I would obviously pay for the return carriage.I live in Somerset,

Thanks Nigel

I too check pretty regularly! Spinning clockwise everytime? Not normal. Something is not correct - and all things point to the bridle.

You're sure everything is looking right? Setup your "B" and the regular 1.5, side by side, and compare them. They both use the same bridle, so any irregularity should be apparent. Sounds like possibly one of the line attachment pigtails got wrapped around itself, or around other parts of the bridle, making it shorter. Check for this and/or any other thing different between the two. The only difference is the sail itself. All the other parts - rods, bridle, are totally interchangeable.

Ditto

Don't always feel I have the best answer but I'll start chiming in more often for future questions..... SHBKF

Come on in, the water's just fine. Remember, the best answer is not always the correct one. Sometimes the obvious can be overlooked by everyone, so jump right in and give us a hand.

• Like 1