Line Length

Nigel GF

Question

I would like a bit of advise on Line Lengths,at the moment I am flying both my Revolution Kites on 80 ft lines,is there any advantage in using 120 ft Lines ? I know that they are mostly used in Team Events,but I was wondering is this line length useful to have in my bag?

Thanks

11 answers to this question

Hi Nigel,

I have found 120 ft lines very useful. When I was starting the increased size of the wind window enabled everything to happen that little bit slower which gave me more thinking time for reacting. I have only flown with others a handful of times when having your own set of 120s saves trying to borrow some. If you can afford to get them I am sure that they will become a firm favourite, especially if you have flying venues where you can use them. 120s are not just for teams but appear to be the length of choice whenever 2 or more Rev fliers fly together. In my case when flying alone I probably use 120s about 50% of the time.

I hope that you find that Santa has been generous this year.

Cheers

Stephen

• Like 1

I learned to fly a Rev2 on 85' lines and have flown that way with all types of Revs for years. Got 120' lines a few years ago to fly 1.5 with others. The main thing I noticed besides larger window with the 120' lines was the kite seemed much smaller and less "personal / intimate" on the longer lines. The shorter lines have less drag and less drooping, for a more solid input feeling. For my style of flying experience and zen mood, my preference is the 85' lines when flying alone.

I agree, 120' lines are better if your preference is to slow things down and increase precision and smoothness. The extra drag slows the kite down and extra line droop dampens your inputs.

My flying style preference is the opposite of most flyers and those conditions. Slow flying for me gets boring very rapidly. Collision avoidance in team flying entertains me only so long; then, I need speed.

Flying a Rev2 / B2 over a 1.5 is preferred for that reason, and by default, flying alone rather than team. I like the challenge to flying as smoothly and precisely as possible under shorter line conditions that are faster, less precise, and more ragged.

Approximately 80' line length gives me the quickness and responsiveness I prefer over longer lines. Yet, it is long enough to provide enough wind window for the length of dive stops, slides, and number of cartwheels I like to do. I'm sure there are other flyers that prefer even much shorter line lengths than 80' or 120' for the same reasons.

Agree with all the above reasons for 120's. If you have room to use them, then you will like them!! That said:

I also use 20', 30', 50', 75', 85', 100', and 120'! It's all about what situation you're in, what lines you use. Love my 20's and 30's for street flying. 50's or 75'/85' for smaller parks. And the 120's at the beach.

Winds will always dictate line length and/weight needed on any given day!

• Like 1

I myself am not too fond of 120 ft. I fly on 100 ft. Less drag, up close to the kite without being too close. The closer you get to your kite, the quicker your reaction time will have to be because the kite will be flying faster. But it's a matter of taste. A lot of people fly with 120 because they fly in teams. I'm not a team flyer so when I do fly with others ( more than two) and I fly with 120 ft. it's a bit uncomfortable. But that's me......

TheSmith

120 footers are great if you are going to be flying with a team. Or a trio at least. Otherwise they are a great source of LPG. 30 feet, 50 feet for for main kites. 10 and 20 for an Indoor. With loops that about rounds it out.

My favourite length is 30 feet. Even if I have room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing people seldom mention, because it is intuitive I guess, is that practicing on short lines will make you learn quicker and become more precise because everything happens much faster. Learn to do it well on 30-ft lines and you will fly like a pro on 120-ft lines

It is really down to your personal preference and under what conditions you are flying.

I generally prefer a line length of about 80ft(about 25mtr) when flying alone.

If I fly with a team I go up to 120ft (about 37mtr).

For pairs I prefer slightly shorter at 100ft (about 30mtr)

When I want to do just pure tricks I go down to around 50ft (about 15mtr)

I would like a bit of advise on Line Lengths,at the moment I am flying both my Revolution Kites on 80 ft lines,is there any advantage in using 120 ft Lines ? I know that they are mostly used in Team Events,but I was wondering is this line length useful to have in my bag?

Thanks

You didn't mention the two kites you have...1...1.5...2...blast....as there's another factor regarding line lengths...

Yay more lines!!!!

Use the 80' set as your median and get/make sets both shorter and longer....not to mention different weights...

I don't enjoy 120' lines at all, so that means no team flying for me....sorry no interest either..... Fly pairs very rarely and we use 100' lines and both kites are vented 2's.

100' is tops and 40' is the minimum for me. And again different weights as well.

Yay more lines!!!

bt

• Like 1