A few basic stacking questions

BookBoy

Now that I have 2 revs, I can't help but think about stacking them. But I have a few questions I'm not sure about.

- I have a standard and full vent b-series. Are these OK to stack? If so, I presume I put the vented in front? If I can't stack these 2, the rest of the questions become redundant for now.

- My frames are 2 wrap, 3 wrap (2 sets), 4 wrap. Can I make a usable combination?

- Will my 80ft x 90# lines be ok? My only other linesets are 50# (50ft and 30ft) so I presume these are no good.

- How much wind do I need to fly them stacked? Will they fly in the same wind that will get my standard sail up? Or do they need as much as the vented needs?

Any other useful tips for a beginner would be appreciated :-)

Thanks

Jonathan

Vented in front, with the heavier frame in it, since that frame will be supporting the pull of two kites, although with a two-stack it is not absolutely necessary. Use the 90# lines because of the additional pull. The front kite will block some of the wind from reaching the back sail, so the vented sail will allow more wind to reach the back one, and you will want the top of the back sail tilted back about 1/2"-ish more than the front sail. You can leave the bridle of the back kite on it, but it looks better if removed, and will eliminate the wear caused by dragging it around.

When you are flying a stack, you fly the back kite and the one(s) in front of it are only "along for the ride", so to speak, although they also add to the lift and pull of the entire assembly. You want to adjust the stack lines so that the entire stack flies as a unit and the trailing kites don't lag behind. If they lag a lot they will cause a great deal of wobble and make control more difficult.

The well-adjusted stack will actually fly in slightly lower wind than either of the kites individually. Same amount of drag from the lines and more sail area, so the entire assembly is proportionally lighter. Experienced pilots can fly a full-vent in 4-6 mph wind, and a standard sail in 1-2 mph. It should fly best in 5-8 mph for you. Above that the pull starts to make it more work than fun.

Once you get into stacks of four or more kites, the framing and adjustments become more critical and other structural support issues come into play. In a progressive stack (different sizes of sails) the smaller sails usually go in front, but with some work can be made to fly any which way you prefer. Remember, it's not rocket science, just a bit of common sense.

Fly, smile, don't forget to breathe.

Edit -- stacking lines are usually made from bridle line of adequate strength for the number of kites they must support. For a two- or three-stack standard Rev bridle is fine.

• Like 1

You can get "stacking kits" from AWOC for a great price. Hint, get more than one set as stacking is a little compulsive...

If you go over 3 sails you will need to connect the middle line, the white line of mystery. A stacking kit comes with 7 train lines for the connection points.

To shorten the back bottom 2 link lines, pull the loop through and double over a couple of times. Only the bottom train lines for the last kite connection. A little brake helps to pull the stack together and reduce wobbling. It's a black art to tune stacks.

A 2 stack Vtd/Std would be good on #90 up to winds you would've changing to a Mid.

Be prepared for LOTS of attention.

Edit: Dacron is ok for train lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent :-) Thanks for all the help.

The tip about flying the back kite is interesting. Although I obviously haven't tried yet, I think my instinct would have been to focus on the front kite and let the rear one follow along.

A stacking kit gives me a great excuse to place an order with a kite shop which means I'll surely have to order something else. But this idea of getting multiple stacking kits would require me to buy another sail too! Mmmm, that EXP on eBay Aus is looking interesting right now!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So your saying that you don't need the 7th middle line on a three stack?

What about a 3 stack progressive?

When you say progressive, do you mean a Rev Progressive stack of 2,1.5 & 1? Or a progressively vented stack. I found I didn't need it as there are 6 other train lines and the bow in the LE wasn't too bad.

I didn't use it on a 3 stack; Vtd, Mid then Std.

I did use it on a 4 stack; XTRA, Vtd, Mid then Std.

I do have it on my permanent 2 stack of EXP's.

I've got pigtails on all the kites to attach train lines to. Just to speed up connection times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.....Hint, get more than one set as stacking is a little compulsive...

Sparky Rob is right. Just returned from the nearest kite store, only 325 miles away. They had some Prism link line sets. I bought eight sets total. Two 23" sets to get the Micron stack up to eight. Three medium sets for fifteen total that will give me enough to stack Nick's three 2 B's if I get the urge. And three 58" sets which will allow me to have a dedicated stack of SLE's. Need to order some bulk bridle line but this was just a pour on the money solution. SHBKF

I was referring to a stack of 2-1.5-1. I have that stack and also a stack of 1.5s full vent , mid vent and standard JB s.

And a 2 stack of 1.5 sul s. All are kept together and rolled on the leading edge for storage and transport. All have the 7th line and I often wondered if it was nessesary. I got into stacking to justify having so many rev s , now that's all I fly. Any input is appreciated.