Rev 1.5 SLE Confusion

Nigel GF

Question

Hi,I have just bought my first Revolution Kite,the Rev 1.5 SLE, I would just like to know one thing,on opening the Kite there is 5 extra carbon rods,the ones fitted to the Kite are No 4 Strong,the spare ones ( 5 in all) are marked No 3 Ultra Light.

I know this my sounds abit dim,but are these to replace the No 4 Strong ones to use in lighter wind conditions,can somebody just confirm this is correct.

Thanks Nigel

7 answers to this question

First, Welcome to the Revolution Forum.
The 4 is a 4 wrap rod which is for very strong winds. You might never need them. However they are there just in case.

The 3 is a 3 wrap rod which you will use most of the time.

There are other rods available as is other versions of sails(skins).

There is a history of Revolution Kites at: http://johnnmitchell.com/IntSportKites/rev_history/index.html
This covers from 1988 to about 2010 thus the newest rods and sails are not covered.

Just keep an eye on how much bow there is in the leading edge. If it starts approaching a 90-degree arc, switch to the 4-wrap. That's for the upper wind range. 25 mph-ish with 4-wraps.

Lower wind range will depend largely on your skill level. The lowest wind with a full-vent that I would attempt is about 6-8 mph. Your mileage WILL vary. The more brake you can fly with will get you airborne in lower winds. Sounds wrong, but it is true. The more square the sail is to the wind, the more pressure the wind can put on, the more lift is achieved.

Don't over-think what you're doing. Instead, feel what the kite wants to do. Your flying will benefit more from working with the available wind, than fighting it.

Smile, have fun and don't forget to breathe.

• Like 2