Short line flying

kevmort

Hey all! Couple semi newbie questions, where can one buy a pre made set of 30 foot lines? I have and flown on 50 footers and love it! If I can't buy them pre-made is there a video on how to, as I've never made them and do I need any special tools to do it.

I can't wait till the wind starts to pick up here in Ohio...woot, woot!

Thanks!

Lom

Hey all! Couple semi newbie questions, where can one buy a pre made set of 30 foot lines? I have and flown on 50 footers and love it! If I can't buy them pre-made is there a video on how to, as I've never made them and do I need any special tools to do it. I can't wait till the wind starts to pick up here in Ohio...woot, woot! Thanks! Lom

Check the Flying Smiles site, or call Theresa or Elliot at Flying Smiles. They will probably make you some any length you can imagine. The shop is in NC.

• 3 weeks later...

I flew on 90# x 80' lines exclusively for quite some time. They were the only set I used for my 1.5 SLE & my Rev 1 Sedgwick. I tend to go with the "standard set up" on many things before I venture onward. I did have a heavier set for my Power Blast 2-4 that I had purchased before I even was able to fly the SLE. I did not fly the PB for some time as I was a bit inhibited by the big kite. Despite all the disdain shown for the SLE leading edge I flew the heavy rod for months before trying the three wrap leading edge. Finally I was getting ready to head for the beach & one of my mentors was cautioning me about flying in the summer crowds. He suggested that I might want a short 30' line set to enable me to fly in a smaller uncrowded area like up next to the dunes. Had a spare dualie set of 90# x 65's so I turned a dual set into a quad set of 30's. I had already learned about some issues with 50# lines, snagging damage. The 90# lines did not snag so badly on the hay field weeds. So I arrived at the hot crowded summer beach & flew the thirties for the first time. Love'd em! Small window, fast action. direct connection feel & the kite was much closer. I could see the inputs on the lower tips of the sail clearly. They also aided my learning as I had to concentrate at an even higher level. Later at home, I took the line set to town & did my first Rev urban flying. Flew in the office front yard & had terrific fun landing on the porch roof & atop the neighbor paint store's sign. Great stuff. Power kite lines? I use some lines from a 7 meter fixed bridle foil on my Power Blast 4-8. It needs them.... SHBKF

• Like 2

What kind of line would be the best value for making thirty foot lines. I have 90# Dacron but that is way to sticky/heavy for really anything. I made a fifteen foot set using it and one wrap is more friction then five or six wraps on my standard 90# 80 foot LPG lines that came with my rev 1.5. As a college student I'm trying to save money and kites are a hard hobby for someone trying to do that because as you all know "kites needed=kites owned +1". Is there any cheaper alternative to LPG line that I can get? It would be great to get two full sets for around thirty or forty bucks because my roommate could use a shorter set too.

Also I have been using 150# bridle line with the center pulled out for sleeving on the ends of my lines. Is this a good idea or do you think it will cause weak points? In my opinion it looks like it is almost identical to the sleeves that come in a sleeving kit. So far I only did it on my Dacron lines which I am pretty sure won't cause any issues but what about on spectra line?

What kind of line would be the best value for making thirty foot lines. I have 90# Dacron but that is way to sticky/heavy for really anything. I made a fifteen foot set using it and one wrap is more friction then five or six wraps on my standard 90# 80 foot LPG lines that came with my rev 1.5. As a college student I'm trying to save money and kites are a hard hobby for someone trying to do that because as you all know "kites needed=kites owned +1". Is there any cheaper alternative to LPG line that I can get? It would be great to get two full sets for around thirty or forty bucks because my roommate could use a shorter set too.

Also I have been using 150# bridle line with the center pulled out for sleeving on the ends of my lines. Is this a good idea or do you think it will cause weak points? In my opinion it looks like it is almost identical to the sleeves that come in a sleeving kit. So far I only did it on my Dacron lines which I am pretty sure won't cause any issues but what about on spectra line?

There are some Spectra fishing lines that will make an acceptable substitute; I believe someone will probably chime in with the exact brand. I saw it here under a different topic. Try searching "fishing line" on this forum.

The 150-lb. bridle Dacron is just fine for sleeving.

And welcome to the forum. Anything you want to know about kites or kiting can be found here, and over on the KiteLife forum. Join us over there too.

I just looked around on here and saw that people usually said that Spectra fishing line is to stretchy compared to kite line. I had seen this before and wanted to avoid fishing line.

There are some Spectra fishing lines that will make an acceptable substitute; I believe someone will probably chime in with the exact brand. I saw it here under a different topic. Try searching "fishing line" on this forum.

The 150-lb. bridle Dacron is just fine for sleeving.

And welcome to the forum. Anything you want to know about kites or kiting can be found here, and over on the KiteLife forum. Join us over there too.

I looked around and it seems like most people don't recommend fishing line due to stretch that it has. I had seen that before and wanted to avoid fishing line for that reason. I may just have to open up my wallet and buy bulk LPG lines to make line sets. I started a kite club at my college to try to get more people into kiting and maybe I can sell line sets to keep the cost fairly low. I also want to start a Rev team so I guess I need quality lines for whenever I fly with anyone. Any advice for where to get LPG lines for a good price?

I haven't got around to getting a bulk spool of line to make my own yet. I have been chopping down pre-made sets to the lengths I want. An 80 foot set chops down to a 30 and 49 (50) really easy. I don't leave the new loop but I do put pull tabs on.

There are alternatives to LPG but all quality line is not cheap. It does last so it is cheaper in the long run just not initially. Cheaper Spectre/Dyneema isn't a bad thing, you may just have to equalise more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problem using the bridle line quoted, that's what I often use.

As for using fishing line,be careful as most of it is totally unsuitable but what I have used

for SOLO flying only is " Berkley Whiplash Crystal" in 100 lb, also available in 50, 80 lbs.

The 100lb is very similar in size to 90 lb LPG, no where near as good but for generally

playing around it would do !

Bill

I haven't got around to getting a bulk spool of line to make my own yet. I have been chopping down pre-made sets to the lengths I want. An 80 foot set chops down to a 30 and 49 (50) really easy. I don't leave the new loop but I do put pull tabs on.

There are alternatives to LPG but all quality line is not cheap. It does last so it is cheaper in the long run just not initially. Cheaper Spectre/Dyneema isn't a bad thing, you may just have to equalise more often.

I looked through my bag and the only lines I was willing to cut down had already broken in one spot and been tied back together, cant use those! Were you buying dual line sets to cut into short sets or just using sets you happened to have around?

Bill, I'll look into that line, thanks. Is it slippery or does it stick to itself when wrapped? And I definitely plan on only flying solo unless I'm on LPG lines. (My brother sliced a set of my dualie spectra lines when he was flying with a cheaper kite. Luckily they were about four years old and desperately needing to be replaced.)

Being in Australia, I have to weigh up the shipping costs.

My first effort was to cut down a set of #90 x 80' quad into a 30 and 49. The 49 ended up being 47 due to over eager loop sizes. Lesson learned though.

I've cut a long dual set into a short quad. I cut a long dual into 2 sets of short duals.

Just do your numbers and find the most efficient "cut".

Bill, I'll look into that line, thanks. Is it slippery or does it stick to itself when wrapped? And I definitely plan on only flying solo unless I'm on LPG lines. (My brother sliced a set of my dualie spectra lines when he was flying with a cheaper kite. Luckily they were about four years old and desperately needing to be replaced.)

Slippery enough ! When I first flying Revs it was all I used until I started team flying with others

using LPG that I had to match !

I have heard that some fliers regularly use it on 120ft for team work !

I'm Probably going to order a roll of "Berkley Whiplash Crystal" tonight, I found it in orange for high visibility rather than translucent. Did you use sleeving on the ends like normal line? I realized that if I normally fly with my roommate we shouldn't have an issue if we both have the same lines for 30 footers anyway. Thanks for the help I'll put an update on after I make the lines and try them out.

I'm Probably going to order a roll of "Berkley Whiplash Crystal" tonight, I found it in orange for high visibility rather than translucent. Did you use sleeving on the ends like normal line? I realized that if I normally fly with my roommate we shouldn't have an issue if we both have the same lines for 30 footers anyway. Thanks for the help I'll put an update on after I make the lines and try them out.

Bad idea using Orange !

you will end up having coloured fingers when you wind up your lines,

that is why I stated Crystal !

Sleeving as normal but for short line sets I do not use any sleeving at the kite end !

Bad idea using Orange !

you will end up having coloured fingers when you wind up your lines,

that is why I stated Crystal !

Sleeving as normal but for short line sets I do not use any sleeving at the kite end !

Thanks for that, I didn't end up ordering the lines yesterday so you saved me a lot of hand washing.

• 7 months later...

Hello, long time no post! Hope everyone is having their share of wind, U.S. In Ohio most definitely are.

Quick question, is there a how to video or PDFs description on how to splice and tie your own lines for the Rev?

Been flying mine on 30 footers and practicing hand launches and would like to try some shorter lines.

I purchased a splitter needle ( I guess that's what they call it,lol) but can't really find anything explaining how to use it or make lines.

Thanks

Lom

It is not recommended to splice together two Spectra/Dynema type lines. It is way too easy due to slipperiness of the lines for the splice to come loose.

In fact in competition, per the International Rules Book(AJSKA/AKA/STACK), it is forbidden.

I suspect what you are referring to is tying the loops on the end of the lines. If that is what you are referring to, someone did create photos or a video on how to do it. Where it is, I don't know.

It is not recommended to splice together two Spectra/Dynema type lines. It is way too easy due to slipperiness of the lines for the splice to come loose.

In fact in competition, per the International Rules Book(AJSKA/AKA/STACK), it is forbidden.

I suspect what you are referring to is tying the loops on the end of the lines. If that is what you are referring to, someone did create photos or a video on how to do it. Where it is, I don't know.

I think that Line Loops / Eyesplice a kiteline is what you might be thinking of using a splice to create the end loops.

The thread also contains some videos at the start.

Stroke Survivor, at this point I'm still learning whats right or better so I'm open to the correct path. I'm just looking to make my own line set(s) rather than paying for them, I look at it as part of the hobby as I do with R/C plane building from scratch. I love the shorter lines and been praticing catching and hand launching with some 30 footers but would like to go even shorter. any suggestions from the more experienced would be appreciated (line type,#, sleeves vs no sleeves ect)

Thanks so much for the support! Flew last night for over 2 hrs. Love these things!

Lom