Short line flying

kevmort

Hi guys , so I'm going to make myself some new shorter line sets I understand the window will decrease and the reaction time will too but will the input movements increase, decrease or stay the same ? My first jump will be from standard length to around 30 foot and what would the shortest I should go for a 1995 exp ?

Kev

I fly on 40' lines regularly and haven't really noticed much change in the input movement itself, but the time you have between input movements is greatly decreased because the kite moves from one place or position to the next much faster, and the need for precise inputs is greatly increased. For instance, if you're doing clockwork on 120's the kite may take 1 second between upright and sideways. On 30's it'll only take about 1/4 of a second, so your inputs need to be more precise and on time than on the longer lines. For this reason, regularly flying on 30's will improve your ability and precision. When you go back to the 120's it seems sooooooo easy to fly precisely.

I think....

Inputs are the same, give or take line sag, from 30 feet to 120 feet. You are doing the same to the kite after all. The time that the input is "on" for is much less. The kite reacts faster. When you are on shorter lines the kite tends to be in straight lines with no sag to moderate the input.

Input, reaction. Short lines.

Input, small delay, reaction. Long lines.

Shortest to go, that's a open ended one. I've flown on 4.5 feet and it's not fun. Zero wind I'll fly a 1.5SUL on 20 feet. I can muscle my EXP on 30 with a teaser of wind in the 3 frame.

Try the 30's and see. It's just a bit different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I generally fly 30' or 50' at home with occasional 80' should I find myself at a suitable location. When I go to the USA to fly I usually am on 120' lines with everyone else.

There is a very slight delay in response time from the kite due to the need to take up any additional line drag, but you would have to have a well educated hand capable of detecting small differences in timing and feel. If you're newer to flying a rev then you probably won't notice the slight difference.

The kite doesn't travel any faster or react any differently compared to longer lines, it's just that the distance from one side of the window to the other is shorter so you move through the various zones of pressure 'quicker' due to them being smaller.

Basically, everything is the same except for the length of the lines :)

Well the line set that came with my Rev exp are 80 foot and I now have a set of 80 foot lines off my five meter power kite so going to make some shorter line sets for my Rev as I enjoy the challenge of learning and flying my Rev over the power kite 😊

Thanks for the imput and help I'll let you know how I get on 😊

Kev

I got it used and was told there would be two sets of lines for it but it arrived with only one set I'm presuming the other set was longer , I don't know how old the kite itself is as I don't know how long it's design was sold for but I do know it's a exp design from 1995

Hi guys , so I'm going to make myself some new shorter line sets I understand the window will decrease and the reaction time will too but will the input movements increase, decrease or stay the same ? My first jump will be from standard length to around 30 foot and what would the shortest I should go for a 1995 exp ?

Kev

Sorry, but the EXP was first made in 1998 not 1995.

• Like 1

Assuming the Rev lines are LPG, Shati or something similar ... you would find the power kite lines much thicker and with different properties. Those line characteristics will have a much bigger impact than length.

FYI ... I regularly hand off my rev on 50' lines to interested people and get them going without any major issues. Difficult (as opposed to steep) learning curves are usually the result of not having the right information which results in difficult setups, objectives and methods. They could also be the result of a poor environment to learn in.

I'm going to find out which one of those is my problem regarding dual line when I get together with JB at WSIKF. He's either going to confirm that I'm not very bright when it comes to duals or that I'm on the right track and my local conditions just don't support it very well :)

I'm showing how new I am now lol

The power lines I've used for the shorter set to due to the Wight and drag factor the brake line set I've used for the Middle set

The learning curve is from going from power kites to the rev and I must admit I'm enjoying the Rev far more than the power kites , I think most of the problems I'm having is gusty inshore winds I took it out in approx 20 mph winds the other week on the cost and my flying was so much better there 😊

If you made the line sets from power-kite lines they are much stronger and heavier than what is normally used for Revs. Revs usually use 90 or 100-lb line, whereas the power kites start at 150-lb and go up from there. On the average they are in the 250 to 300-lb range. Might be too heavy for it, but with strong enough wind it will fly.

That's why I used the power lines for the shorter ones as there bigger and would add to the drag etc the brake lines are 100 lb lines so are much better for the Rev and as funds are low I'm saving to get some lines of the right length and type for it 😊

Kev

Awesome thanks for clearing that for me I will admit I love flying it and it was def £60 very well spent but I'd truly love to get a vented eyes

And there are many, many other designs on Rev kites. The Eyes design is easy to get and people notice it.

If you made the line sets from power-kite lines they are much stronger and heavier than what is normally used for Revs. Revs usually use 90 or 100-lb line, whereas the power kites start at 150-lb and go up from there. On the average they are in the 250 to 300-lb range. Might be too heavy for it, but with strong enough wind it will fly.

Eh. Really not an issue on a short set! I used to fly a Rev II on a powerkite line set that was 300# top / 150# bottom that I had cut down to about 25'. For a long time they were my favorite lines in any wind.

I've recently made a set of 30 footers from 110 pound (50kg or 50dan) line. Most use 50 pound for that length. I find I like the feel of laser sharp response. I also use it for a 2 stack of Revs so having a little extra strength in the pocket, suits me fine. Explore the differences between them. You will develop a preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm agreeing on that short a length - no need to worry on weights. I use 90# LPG for my Indoor - but those are only 10'. I do use 50# on really light wind days. And do have a set of 150# for a hurricane.

But I do agree too - 90# is about the strongest you will really need for almost all uses.