120 ft team standard flight length ....?

Revthebest

Question

I guess this will be a question for the forum guru's :-).

How and when is the standard length for teamflying set on 120 feet?

Recently I found out the first flight of the Wright brothers was 120 ft, but I guess this is not the reason.

• Like 1

4 answers to this question

If I recall correctly, The Decorators established in the early 90s that 120ft was the ideal line length for quadline team flying.

From then most team followed this as a standard probably so that multiple teams could fly together.

I don't think that it was quite like that as we were using c125ft lines for quite some time. We went for longer lines when the team first had 8 fliers on a regular basis but we were flying Rev1 kites by preference so definitely needed the extra space provided.

Felix

• Like 1

I had to pick a standard when I wrote the manual a few years ago.

Some teams used 100', some used 120'.

iQuad used 120's; I was on iQuad; so I chose 120 feet smile.png

As far as I can tell, and having checked with Jacob, we were using 125ft lines from about 1993. One of the reasons the Decs did not get involved in 'mega' flies prior to the Portsmouth/Bristol Grid events was that we were still using the longer line sets. I cannot recall exactly how the team were persuaded to standardise on 120ft subsequently. Probably best not to ask <grins>

Felix

• Like 1