£60 quad line rev lookalike vs a Rev 1.5

Danno83

Question

Hi All, and wonder if you can help. About a year ago, a bought a cheap rev lookalike quad line kite from China (please dont hate me) and have really only flown it these last few weeks. I've really enjoyed the precision and flight of a quad line, as opposed to 2 line.

I'm curious about buying a proper rev, and would like to know if I should get the Rev Exp or Rev 1.5 SLE. What difference will I notice. Going to have to save as not sure fiancee will understand spending £250 on a kite. :-)

Would love some advice. I'm pretty happy flying my current quad line, and is fun and a complete destress after work, but I have nothing to compare it with.

Thanks in advance

Dan

25 answers to this question

It is a shame you wasted £60 for a cheap knock-off. That could have been spent on a upper model of the REV 1.5.
Look at this UK Kite shop http://www.kiteworld.co.uk/acatalog/Revolution-Kites.html

The EXP(also a 1.5) is the least expensive. The B2 is not a 1.5. It is smaller. The REV I is larger. And the Indoor is primarily for indoor flying.

There are two other 1.5's not mentioned being the New York cut and the John Barresi Pro. Not to mention there are also the printed REV 1.5s which are limited production.

Since you're already flying, no sense in getting an EXP. I would save up for a 1.5 B series. For the extra 40 pounds over an SLE it's worth it. An SLE would be ok, but if you're smitten with Rev's, it's worth the investment. If you can determine what frame is in the knockoff (a crap heavy one I figure) then you can get a frame that will lower you wind range a little.

If we're a little snarky, it's because we're protective of the Rev originators. Yes the knockoffs are cheaper, but you get what you pay for.

• Like 2

Thanks guys for replies. I originally bought a cheap quad line because I wanted to see if I would enjoy it, and to be honest, I love power kites, but from technical precision and skill, I'm lovingbthe rev lookalike ;-) however I have to admit, it seems heavy in low winds, which is frustrating - hence wanting to get into the world of revs. I can totally understand being snarky about some one loves and wants to protect, no worries there.

I think I will have a look at the 1.5 B series. Any vented rev I'm assuming is for higher wind speed, to be able to fly still?

Any other advice would be appreciated. I better start saving

Danno83, welcome to the real side of the dark side! No worries, glad you relize that revs are the real deal.

The vented revs do fly in higher winds and the less venting is lesser wind capability. Now that doesn't necessarily mean it will float, it takes practice and patience. Really, I have never flown, touch, or even see a "Revolution" knockoff, but I imagine Revolution Kites are angels compared to those. Revolution is the only thing I have flown, and I own three of them and four frames. I love them, and want more. The frames are very important as well as the sails and venting. The best and lightest frame is the diamond frame, but I don't advise getting this first just because it's very fragile, except if you live in a region where you have 0-3 mph wind.

I recommend the race frame or green race frame for light wind 3-9 mph and the 3 wrap frame for everything else for higher wind 8-14 mph. The race frame has loads of flex and the flex really compliments the flying characteristics in my opinion. The three wrap is the "standard" frame. There is a 4 wrap frame, but it so stiff I find it uncomfortable to fly with, although I do fly with it in very high wind conditions. Personally for sails, if you have average wind get the standard b series with a 3 wrap and a race or green race. (The green race is nearly invincible, the race is lighter). Also, get laser pro gold and handles. Get everything new, just so it is all revolution quality standards and so the knockoff strings dont hold back the legit kite.

Take my advice with a grain of salt and I'm sure some other people are reading this and disagreeing with some things, but this advice is my opinion. Hope to see pictures of your kite(s) when you get it!

Yes, that one. Before you dive in, delve into the past forum topics here and the Rev equipment info on the website.. There is way more information than you'll know what to do with. Educate yourself on the different equipment before ordering something you my not need. We'll always be happy to help based on your primary flying conditions and other considerations. BTW, Polo Rev's are slick looking and great kites as well. I plan on getting one myself some day. So many kites so little cash.

Given that this site is owned and run by Rev it would be downright rude to recommend or even condone the Chinese knock offs, but as you already have the ripoff and you are now considering the next step it would be silly to to immediately right off your initial purchase.

I would recommend you consider on of the vented 1.5s, (full vent, not mid vent, yet, don't ask why, it's complicated just trust me on this) either SLE or B Series the venting will allow way more control in stronger wind. Any serious Rev flier needs to cover all the bases and hereiin the UK we have more unpredictable weather than many of friends around the world.

It's a while sincei bought a new Rew, but last time I looked the B series came with two interchangeable frames in different weights and the SLE came with one. You will need to be aware, SLE actually stands fo Super Leading Edge, and the kite is actually named after a thicker carbon tube used in the kite this leading edge that has largely fallen out of favour. I believe most SLE kites are now sold with the thinner tube but if you do buy an SLE kite you should check.

Your profile says you come from Oxhordshire, for Face to face advice I would strongly recommend you take a Tripp to Dunstable Downs one Sunday morning there are usually several experienced Rev fliers who will be more than happy to offer help and advice, I used to be one of them but circumstances have changed somewhat.

Oh and about the Chinese rip off. I suspect sooner or later you will chose to replace it but, given the position Gould are currently in I think yo woul be better off buying a vented, kite.

• Like 3

Your profile says you come from Oxfordshire, for Face to face advice I would strongly recommend you take a Trip to Dunstable Downs one Sunday morning there are usually several experienced Rev fliers who will be more than happy to offer help and advice, I used to be one of them but circumstances have changed somewhat.

Hi Dan,

As Bob said, take a trip to Dunstable Downs ( use post code LU6 2GY ) and fly a selection of Revs !

Myself and others will be there Sunday and Bank Holiday Monday, PM me if you have any questions.

Bill

And we want you back with us Bob !

• Like 2

Guys thank you so much for your help and I will read a lot of the info on this site to get a better grasp of the Rev kites.

With regards to coming to Dunstable Downs - that would be amazing, but unfortunately I'm not able to drive and seems impossible to get there via public transport. :-( maybe I'll talk to a mate one Sunday to give me a lift and come and visit you guys :-)

With regards to coming to Dunstable Downs - that would be amazing, but unfortunately I'm not able to drive and seems impossible to get there via public transport. :-( maybe I'll talk to a mate one Sunday to give me a lift and come and visit you guys :-)

Hi Dan,

Yes! bring a mate along,

It wont take us long to get him converted to the dark side cat_lol.gif

Bill

• Like 1

I wish I could come to Dunstable Downs myself. Reading the forum & hearing the invitations extended over the last few years makes me realize it must be one of those special places in kiting. But just as much it's the people & their connection to each other through the sky. Perhaps one day I'll show up with my kite bag & we'll give em all a go.

Just out here in the sticks, SHBKF

• Like 1

I wish I could come to Dunstable Downs myself. Reading the forum & hearing the invitations extended over the last few years makes me realize it must be one of those special places in kiting. But just as much it's the people & their connection to each other through the sky. Perhaps one day I'll show up with my kite bag & we'll give em all a go.

Just out here in the sticks, SHBKF

See you soon then Dayhiker ! cat_biggrin.gifcat_biggrin.gif

The Dunstable Downs Kite Festival is on the 25th & 26th July, here are some pics from last year just to wet your appetite! ani_victory.gif

Bill

post-3812-0-37406000-1432384713_thumb.jpg

post-3812-0-96997700-1432385011_thumb.jpg

post-3812-0-45786000-1432385025_thumb.jpg

post-3812-0-65378900-1432385035_thumb.jpg

So I'm thinking of the The Standard Revolution 1.5 B-Series Alongside The Full Vent Revolution 1.5 B Series, buying one line and handle set, but gives me 2,3 and 4 wrap spar options.

A good choice or not? :-)

In a word YES !

We rarely use 4 wrap so a Race frame is not a bad idea !

Bill

Don't know what the prevailing conditions are in the UK, but I always setup two kites because in the middle of the continent, winds are subject to change. It's good to get another set of handles and a spare set of lines eventually. Gotta have spares for insurance. There are plenty of forum topics converting your handles to no snag (a must) and possibly finding a mate or source that can make you an additional set of handles.

With the most of us, it's an addiction. Don't mean to scare you with a fully outfitted bag. My goal is to fill my rev bag to where I can barely close it.

With the ailing Aussie dollar compared to the Pound, here is my 0.9cents worth...

A Standard, or Full Sail with 2 wrap and Race Frame.

A Vented, or Full Vent Sail with 3 and 4 frame.

These will cover you from 0 to about 30mph, skill not with standing.

Then as your experience, and hunger grows you could get the Mid Vent as a sail only option. Save on postage too.

However, meet up with other Rev pilots and ask to fly their kites. We don't bite, some have cookies. Ask if they have any second hand kites that they are willing to part with. A Rev flies long after it looks like it won't.

Most of all, keep us informed of your journey. Every time a new pilot crops up we all go back to the time we started and remember THAT feeling of first controlled flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Hi Rob, thanks for your 0.9cents worth :-) appreciate it.

So a standard B Series comes with a standard frame (3 wrap) and a 2 wrap frame, so isn't a 2 wrap similar to a race frame? Or is a race frame slightly lighter? Also if you could only buy one kite a standard or vented B series what would you do?

I'm thinking of getting one b series package and then buy a kite option only once I've saved more. What your thoughts?

The deal really depends on who you are getting it from. Especially in regards to optional upgrades.

One kite and frame. I would go a Standard with a Black Race frame. The race frame is most likened like this, "weight of a 2 frame with the strength of a 3 frame". It's not the whole truth but it is a great approximation. The race frame isn't as stiff as a 2 or 3. That is you can compress/load it much faster.

A RTF will get you up and flying the quickest. Lines, handles and a kite. Whether it be an EXP, 1.5SLE, B Series or even the New York Minute they will all do you good. Like it has been mentioned, most get a Standard first them Vented then Mid.

You are going to save even more if you buy all second hand. Put a "wanted" out there and see if there are any bites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1