Portsmouth kite festival 25-26/08/2007

crazy.drivers

This WE we attend portsmouth international kite festival, last year we flew with team Flying Squad.

If ohter rev kite flyer reach this event, let us know !!!! it should be funny to fly a huge mega team over there !!!!

Mentioned elsewhere here. We will be holding a small "masterclass" for anyone who wants to learn how to fly rev team. 120' lines are desirable and an ability to hold anywhere in the sky is essential. We plan to do this on Saturday morning but as space is a premium at this event we will need to be flexible.

See you all there.

Wow, what a weekend. We saw the sun for the first time in months!

Very light winds all weekend but watching the Crazies you wouldn't know. They have some indoor quads and my jaw hit the floor when I watched them perform team flic-flacs, back spins etc all on 15' lines.

The Flying Squad were there on mass and flew various routines with the 10 person routine being my favourite. We don't get to fly with everyone very often and it is a real buzz when we do. Still I could have hoped for stronger winds. We have officialy re named the team figure "Ball" into "Potatoe". :kid_smartass:

The final show was a 14 person mega team in about 2mph. Hard work but I couldn't have asked for better fliers to be there with me. So next year, lets see some more of you for a mega team.

ps oh and the masterclass was postponed till Monday due to the very light winds. Still we had a great time.

post-27-1188242267_thumb.jpg

Very light winds all weekend but watching the Crazies you wouldn't know. They have some indoor quads and my jaw hit the floor when I watched them perform team flic-flacs, back spins etc all on 15' lines.

The Flying Squad were there on mass and flew various routines with the 10 person routine being my favourite. We don't get to fly with everyone very often and it is a real buzz when we do. Still I could have hoped for stronger winds. We have officialy re named the team figure "Ball" into "Potatoe". :kid_smartass:

The final show was a 14 person mega team in about 2mph. Hard work but I couldn't have asked for better fliers to be there with me. So next year, lets see some more of you for a mega team.

ps oh and the masterclass was postponed till Monday due to the very light winds. Still we had a great time.

I presume it was Portsmouth England and not Portsmouth New Hampshire USA.

How about telling us all, who all the fliers were, so they can receive some international recognition.

I presume it was Portsmouth England and not Portsmouth New Hampshire USA.

How about telling us all, who all the fliers were, so they can receive some international recognition.

The festival was in the UK, this year we had displays from:

• Cray Drivers (Damien, Fabrice & Reneau [probably not the correct spelling])
    The Flying Squad ( Stephen, Susan, Matt, Lisa, Simon, Geoff, Ian, Helen, Gary, Steve)
    and the world famous Chris Goff

I will try and get a photo of the mega team and the new team figure the "Potatoe". It's a bit like a ball only not so round!

The Flying Squad ( Stephen, Susan, Matt, Lisa, Simon, Geoff, Ian, Helen, Gary, Steve)

I will try and get a photo of the mega team and the new team figure the "Potatoe". It's a bit like a ball only not so round!

"Potatoe"... Quayle went too then..... :ani_whistling:

Yep had a great time :lol: Panda eyes and red face :lol: ( I thought The Crazy Drivers were there Steve ?)

Anyone up for writing an article about this gathering, from a new flier's eyes?

This would make great reading, and pics would be cool too. ;)

[The above quote was taken from "Best Places to fly in the UK but has been pulled it over to avoid pulling that thread way of topic.]

What a great weekend. I travelled with Gary Tyrell (Play365), who was there as a guest flyer with The Flying Squad. My status was far less well defined, Gary referred to me as “The Team Groupie,” I said I preferred to be thought of as a roadie, though when he explained why he had me down as the groupie, I had to admit he had a point. I’m not sure I agreed with it, but I did understand his reasoning. Unfortunately, I am not sure if the explanation is entirely suitable for publishing on family forum, so sorry guys you’ll have to keep guessing. The Flying Squad were excellent hosts and made me feel really welcome, many thanks guys your hospitality was much appreciated.

The festival ran for three days with displays all day Saturday & Sunday and with a free flying day on Monday. As space was at a premium and the event was rather well supported, Saturday being the first day of the British Summer, the only opportunity for us lesser mortals to fly was on the Monday.

As Stephen has already said, his Team Flying Master Class had to be postponed until the Monday morning, due to lack of wind, which I think was a great shame because he didn’t get many takers. I’m sure there are a lot of people out there like myself, reasonably competent with a Rev but wanting to crank their skill level up a notch or two, who could have benefited from the experience. Stephen is not only a great Rev flyer he is also a terrific teacher, guys you missed a terrific opportunity.

Carl from Team Spectrum (for the non Brits, obviously not a Rev team) and I attended the Rev Master Class run by Stephen and assisted Gary (who has so far been my main teacher). I got to fly a Flying Squad kite what an honor, felt about 10” tall. That in it’s self, was an experience, flying with three others, and all four kites matching. I was half expecting to loose track of which kite was mine, but it didn’t happen. I was also surprised at how much I was moving my feet. When I fly alone I tend not to move any more than I have to and certainly not as much as I should do. For a long time more experienced flyers have been telling me I need to move more but when I am flying alone I am concentrating so hard I simply forget.

We had to pack up about at about 12:30 as we were getting over run by numpties, one family walked back under two hovering team kites with cheapo stunt kite (that probably cost them less than their Burger & Chips) and bought us down they then decided to stop for a family chat. When it gets that bad it’s time to call it a day.

I have to say I was more than a little disappointed there were not more takers. I am fortunate enough to be able to count several, current and past UK ML Champions as friends, a very nice situation to be in but it does tend to distort reality a bit. I was looking forward to meeting and flying with a few more people at or around my skill level, so I could get a better idea on where I am in the food chain. And as I have already said, “Stephen is not only a great Rev flyer he is also a terrific teacher, guys you missed a terrific opportunity,” and all this for no more than the price of a thank you.

So once again, Stephen, Gary and all the others who have helped me get to where I am today, Thank You :clap;

Sorry I'm not a great photographer but some good photos can be found in this thread on Fractured Axel, a UK based kite forum.

http://www.fracturedaxel.co.uk/phpBB2/view...p?p=76707#76707

I've got nothing but praise for Stephen's teaching as well, I learned a lot from him and The Flying Squad when John and I were in Berck last year, and thats what led to iQuad.

(its also worth noting that Hans and Team 4 Fun taught us a lot that week as well!)

Hi Stephen !!!!

Even if we had very low wind during this WE , we had a great time over .....what a pitty for the mega team ..... no Wind , so when we burst "potatoes , we had to lend on the ground with Fabrice . What about monday , probably low wind also .....The other guy is "Ronan" so now you know how to spell it !!!! :w00t:

See U !!!

Damien,

Hi Stephen !!!!

Even if we had very low wind during this WE , we had a great time over .....what a pitty for the mega team ..... no Wind , so when we burst "potatoes , we had to lend on the ground with Fabrice . What about monday , probably low wind also .....The other guy is "Ronan" so now you know how to spell it !!!! :w00t:

See U !!!

Damien,

Bonjour Damien,Fabrice and Ronan my Friends :lol: I had a great time also, it was nice to meet you all see again some time :w00t::sq-grin:

Bonjour Damien,Fabrice and Ronan my Friends :lol: I had a great time also, it was nice to meet you all see again some time :w00t::sq-grin:

Hi !!!!!

You speack french !!!! great !!!!!. Could you send us the link for handle (i don't know the name in english ) you baught it on the web , that a fishing shop .....because we need to make new handles ......

Thanks !!! See you !!!!

Damien & the Crazy ....

Hi !!!!!

You speack french !!!! great !!!!!. Could you send us the link for handle (i don't know the name in english ) you baught it on the web , that a fishing shop .....because we need to make new handles ......

Thanks !!! See you !!!!

Damien & the Crazy ....

For the foam look for Hyprlon or Duplon or EVA http://www.hopkinsholloway.co.uk/products....=9&CatID=45 is one place but I cant seem to find 9mm bore any more (as thats what I used) or maybe here http://shop.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/H...ack-Raw-Hypalon or http://www.guidesnblanks.com/category.php?main_cat_ref=11

unless anyone knows better ? the last one looks best

• 2 weeks later...
For the foam look for Hyprlon or Duplon or EVA http://www.hopkinsholloway.co.uk/products....=9&CatID=45 is one place but I cant seem to find 9mm bore any more (as thats what I used) or maybe here http://shop.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/H...ack-Raw-Hypalon or http://www.guidesnblanks.com/category.php?main_cat_ref=11

unless anyone knows better ? the last one looks best

Dear Gary !!!

Thank you very much for the links !!!!!

Can you tell me what is the corresponding size in inches for 10 mm or 9 mm (inside). Because we use 10 mm tube to make handles.....

Thanks !!!!!

see you !!!!

Damien,