add reverse to speed up?

REVflyer

Question

Does this sound right to you?

so the other day a few of use were flying together in team formations and one of my buddies commented that he had to increase the amount of braking action on his kite so that he could maintain the same speed as everyone else.

The reality is this knucklehead is finally getting the big picture AFTER decades of folks badgering him.

The science of this adjustment is simple enough, "he needs to get the sail MORE square to the wind direction, thereby creating maximum pressure",..... then he won't struggle to keep powered up or to remain airborne during stationary maneuvers.

• Like 4

5 answers to this question

It's a counter-intuitive thing! Set up from the factory with a lot of forward, helps get the kite airborne easy. But once aloft, having more brake on, gives you more control. So it's a 2 sided deal for those learning - forward to launch or brake for control! Much easier to understand as your learning curve advances!

Much easier to back off an inch (MAYBE two) from my setup when I give them the handles and not say a word.

When you start, everything is just as 'difficult' and anything else since it's a new skill .... teach them correctly from the start.

The only time anyone has struggled with this is due to low wind (and slacking brake will further reduce pressure/control) and I generally have people flying unassisted within the hour.

• Like 1

this is a guy with at least a dozen revs and with a couple of dozens of years of quad-lined experience, a grand national champion kite builder too. Some folks you just can't help because they will NOT accept advice from anyone. He has reached the conclusion the rest of us arrived at long ago (or were instructed in from the beginning), and he did it all by his lonesome self <LOL!>

Some readers can already identify my mysterious friend and also tried to inch him towards the reverse well water for some decent refreshment

• Like 1

All the advice I got was to adjust the lines on the leaders, adding more brakes, to the point where you are just able to launch, then you would have the optimal trim for beginners.

This is very different from the Peter Lynn Hornet powerkite I got, where the brakes must have slack. I see that some intermiate/advanced powerkites are designed to fly better with some brakes applied. So it is all about the kite design.