What is the are of the rev ?

povlhp

It is about 240cm wide, 78 cm heigh. Assuming it is a aquare 120x78 cm brings os to 0.94 sq meters, and add a little extra in the center, we are around 1 m2. Does this sound approx right ?

Just trying to figure out the sizes of my kites from the Symphony Beach 1.3 to my Hornet 3.0 m2.

The dual-line foils always sold by width only, the power-kites sold by area, and the Rev is just the 2 different sizes.

For some reason, the aspect ration of the foils are not important in advertising, but means a world of difference.

How much of the full vented is vents ? I think I once tried to measure and came up with little under 20%.

The sail, not including leading edge mesh or the leading edge itself, is 1.01 m2, with mesh and LE about 1.1, this is for the 1.5 series -- there are 3 sizes of Rev: 1, 1.5, and 2. The numbers do not correlate with area, as the kite gets smaller as the number gets bigger.

20% is about right for the full vent, again not counting the LE mesh. Then you have the Shook Weave 135% vent, which is mathematically impossible, except as a percentile expression of differential.

Confused? Good! So is everyone else. Welcome to the darkside -- we have cookies. BYOM (bring your own milk).

This past weekend (admittedly it was a long one & G-R-E-A-T) a bunch of us showed up in Ocean City, MD for some kite flying. Honestly?, the ground was littered with Revs in every direction. Four separate multi-lined ballet teams were even assembled for impromptu competition in front of the Kite-loft Sunday! An experiment was performed behind the backs of a few of us as follows:

Eliot Shook had a 135% mesh out with 4 wraps (stock, no sticks or modifications of any kind)

Paul Dugard had a 75% mesh with green race rods (and magic sticks on their stock bridle)

I had a 40% mesh with Diamonds, sticks and a french bridle

Cath (the motivating mother of these woven strip quads!) flew each of our kites, one after the other in rapid sequence and pronounced them all "perfectly tuned and appropriate for the conditions today". We flew them in various team settings all afternoon, together. Did you notice, that each kite in this sequence above has more sail surface area and a lighter, more flexible frame than the previous?

What you see here is why these masterpiece kites are sometimes considered costly,...

Each kite represents a hugely available wind range though (where flight is pleasurable not merely possible), made even wider still thru variable framing choices, almost like getting two kites on one. Each thought we had the hot set-up for the day, NO WAY said mamma-mesh!

I have heard rumors that the Shook Mesh Masterpiece kites FAILED the wind-tunnel testing in extraordinary fashion,... okay, fine,...... but don't change a thing because they work pretty super in real life.

This past weekend (admittedly it was a long one & G-R-E-A-T) a bunch of us showed up in Ocean City, MD for some kite flying. Honestly?, the ground was littered with Revs in every direction. Four separate multi-lined ballet teams were even assembled for impromptu competition in front of the Kite-loft Sunday! An experiment was performed behind the backs of a few of us as follows:

Eliot Shook had a 135% mesh out with 4 wraps (stock, no sticks or modifications of any kind)

Paul Dugard had a 75% mesh with green race rods (and magic sticks on their stock bridle)

I had a 40% mesh with Diamonds, sticks and a french bridle

Cath (the motivating mother of these woven strip quads!) flew each of our kites, one after the other in rapid sequence and pronounced them all "perfectly tuned and appropriate for the conditions today". We flew them in various team settings all afternoon, together. Did you notice, that each kite in this sequence above has more sail surface area and a lighter, more flexible frame than the previous?

What you see here is why these masterpiece kites are sometimes considered costly,...

Each kite represents a hugely available wind range though (where flight is pleasurable not merely possible), made even wider still thru variable framing choices, almost like getting two kites on one. Each thought we had the hot set-up for the day, NO WAY said mamma-mesh!

I have heard rumors that the Shook Mesh Masterpiece kites FAILED the wind-tunnel testing in extraordinary fashion,... okay, fine,...... but don't change a thing because they work pretty super in real life.

This is quite a surprise to me! That all three could be up together. More fuel for that Shook fire!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk