Attending Kite Festivals

applewpb

Question

Hi All

My first post, and wondering if anyone can provide some feedback to a first-time festival goer. My wife and I have decided to attend both the Wildwood and Washington State kite festivals this year, and want to know if we will be able to fly our kites at these venues as non-compeditors. We live in South Florida, and are both self-taught as we don't know anyone in our area who fly sport kites. We are hoping to meet fellow flyers and hone our skills at both Festivals. Just unsure of how the fields are setup for casual flying.

Mark

6 answers to this question

Hi, Mark. I'm Mark too. Welcome to the forum, any questions you have will be answered here. We are a friendly bunch, and full of useless information.

There are oodles of kite flyers near you in Florida. Click on the "member map" tab at the top of this page. There festivals in Florida as well. Stay tuned to this site to see what's going on and where.

Most festivals have plenty of room for everyone to fly, with special areas for demonstrations and team flying.

Have fun and keep smiling.

At WSIKF (Washington State) there is usually a whole field for Revs, big enough for LOTS of fliers. PS: that is where we put up 81 Revs at once 2 years ago!! And there will be plenty of people to meet and fly with.

There are at least 3 fields marked out and as many as 5, plenty of room to fly alone or with people if you want! Plus, there is room around the edges, but spectators there also, so you'll need to take care. Inside the ropes is "safe"! But you'll need to sign in and get an AKA bracelet (free) to be inside any roped off area.

Hi All

My first post, and wondering if anyone can provide some feedback to a first-time festival goer. My wife and I have decided to attend both the Wildwood and Washington State kite festivals this year, and want to know if we will be able to fly our kites at these venues as non-compeditors. We live in South Florida, and are both self-taught as we don't know anyone in our area who fly sport kites. We are hoping to meet fellow flyers and hone our skills at both Festivals. Just unsure of how the fields are setup for casual flying.

Mark

Hi Mark,

It's been many years since I've been there, but I'll be at Wildwood this year and I'm really looking forward to it!. Look for team 180GO! and introduce yourselves. If you'd like to fly with others and do some team flying, take a look at this pdf: Revolution Mega-Fly Figures v1d.pdf and the animations here: http://www.revkites.com/learn-to-fly/revolution-kite-team-animations

Thanks for the replys, at least I have a better idea on what to expect. We really hope to watch some of the Rev competitions and see how others fly. We plan to attend the Meet and Greet at the Oceanic on Friday, so hope to meet others with our same interests. My wife and I have decided to combine seeing the country and flying our kites into one adventure, who could ask for more!!

Mark

• Like 1

Nobody misses that meet and greet!

Please come on out and make yourselves known too, enjoy some hospitality with us.

Saturday all the sport kite comps take place (all events in one day, no precision events are being offered at all, indoor comp is Monday), but we're not a "front field" outside either, so a place to sit, even a tarp may prove to be beneficial.

I am easy to find, my kites all pretty much look the same, (hot fade, black center ~ see my icon) I am up early everyday and pray for no wind so if you struggle with these conditions come out and fly one of my modified kites for a test-drive. The beach is positively huge, so there's lots of room to fly by yourselves or with a group, or just stand around romancing with your friends, like the rest of us.

• Like 2